Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What DSLR Canon 500d or 50d & Lenses

• 03-07-2009 10:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Can anyone help me with my choice, I can’t see much difference apart from price and just can’t make up my mind! Have you got either camera or any advice?

What about lenses? It seems to be a mine field of choice. I am starting college in Sept and need a camera that will allow me to grow into all the setting? Any recommendations on lenses as I heard the camera packages with lenses are fairly week is this true??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I have a 400d and am going to get a 50d soon. The big difference many will probably tell you is that the 50d is a more professional camera, better quality etc, while the 500d has a HD video function. So weigh up the odds there and decide whether you need the video function or not to win you over.

Lens wise it's personal choice, but I defo recommend getting a canon nifty 50mm on the cheap, can't go wrong with it, at f1.8 it's great for dark shoots. I lost one this month and bought one new on ebay for €77 including P&P from Hong Kong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

The 50d is far better. I have a 40d, my mate got the 450d. We're always finding little features that the 40 has and the 450 doesn't. The 450 is tiny too and the 40 feels really solid and well made. I'm guessing the differences with the 50 and 500 are the same.
    The 50mm is one of the few really good lenses you can get for cheap, so definately get one of them!
    I have one of these: http://www.adorama.com/CA1755U.html, nice all round lens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I have a 450D and personally wouldn't bother with the 500D, the next body upgrade will be to a xxD or possibly a xD depending on finances :D

The 50D also comes with the 17-85mm IS USM EF-S Lens, while the 500D comes with the 18-55mm IS non-USM lens which is of a poorer build quality. The 17-85 is actually quite a nice lens.

With regards to lens, really really depends on what you want to use them for. The 24-105mm IS USM F4L lens, for example, is a really highly recommended general walkabout lens, but you're looking at the price of the camera itself again so depends on your budget and intended use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭chezzer

The more important is the 50D ... it's better ... more profession ...

but .. if High Def video is important for you then the 500D ,,, but if it's for fotografio ... for sure 50D + lenses! ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 bazamax

Coolio, ye the HD video is not for me, looking for photos only so its the 50D!

Might take a risk with a cheepish lens to start with then upgrade when I get my head around the choice!!

Thanks for the advise folks.:D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

bazamax wrote: »
    Coolio, ye the HD video is not for me, looking for photos only so its the 50D!

Might take a risk with a cheepish lens to start with then upgrade when I get my head around the choice!!

Thanks for the advise folks.:D

I'd go the other way. Get yourself a cheaper camera and a better lens. Initially you might as well go for the entry level camera as it will be more than suitable for a beginner and easier to get to grips with.

You will always have the lens whereas the cameras will be upgraded as the years go by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭chezzer

YEs ... and since lenses are such a good investment ... in case you go FF
    try to stick with EF lenses and not EF - S ... so now works with FF + cropped sensors.

Advertisement