Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving folders around on FTP

• 03-07-2009 10:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭

I want to move a largish folder (lots of sub folders) on our FTP, from its folder to the root folder but im not having much luck. Whats the best way to go about this?

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

What FTP client are you using?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Shzm

Right click on it -> move to -> specifiy root dir here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I'd copy instead of move!

Does your provider have a web interface for moving/copying files?

I use one called "WebShell4" on Hsphere to do this kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭jimbo007

If you use filezilla (or download for free), go to view -> remote tree view, and drag and drop the folder to its new location in this view

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

I'm using Filezilla, but i've tried our providers webshell software and it doesn't seem to want to move it

When i try using the webshell software, i select the folder and click move it just says "true" and thats it :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭jimbo007

I'm using Filezilla, but i've tried our providers webshell software and it doesn't seem to want to move it

When i try using the webshell software, i select the folder and click move it just says "true" and thats it :confused:

does it not work using filezilla either?

jimbo007 wrote: »
    If you use filezilla (or download for free), go to view -> remote tree view, and drag and drop the folder to its new location in this view

That worked, thanks alot. Wasn't using filezilla long! Didn't even think of drag and drop!

One more question lads, whats the best way to do a backup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 489 ✭✭Pablod

One more question lads, whats the best way to do a backup?
    Depending on who you host with, your host should offer you the facility to take backups of your website or to setup automatic backup schedule.

Advertisement