Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Want 10-20mm lens -> 0.7x Wide Angle adaptor cheap alternative?

• 03-07-2009 10:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭

As above, i'd love a sigma 10-20mm lens but the budget won't stretch to it until well after the summer holidays at the very earliest. Has anybody used a Digital King DSW Pro 0.7x Wide Angle Lens Canon 58mm thats on ebay for £70 stg? This could go straight onto the front of my 18-55mm kit lens giving 12mm focal length.
    Are these any good or would i just end up wanting the 10-20mm lens after a few tries?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

A friend of mine asked me about this a few months back. You get what you pay for. a cheap wide angle lens will give you bad results.

I had something similar years and years ago. It's cheap glass, bad optics, lots of distortion, tons of glare and flaring of light and a HUGE reduction in the amount of light the cheap screw on lens will allow into the camera, at least 1 stop of light I'd guess. They also tend to give vignetting at the widest end.

It might seem like a cheap alternative but the old saying is right...buy cheap, buy twice!

You will end up leaving it in a cupboard and never using it again I think. Save that £70 and put the money towards the 10-20mm. Thats what my friend ended up doing after my advice and hasn't looked back since.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

£70 (+delivery) goes a long way towards a used Sigma 10-20. One just sold on Adverts for €300.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

I would see it as a waste of money buying one of them converters. Spend the extra on the 10-20

Advertisement