Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Traktor / Traktor Pro - anyone used it?

• 03-07-2009 11:06am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/products/dj/traktor-pro/

Who uses traktor and what do you think of it? What are the pro's and con's? What controller do you use?

I'm currently using the Xponent with Torq and although I like it I want something more advanced. I want to see what its like using the beatgrids and using multiple decks. Is it hard to get all the tunes aligned to the grid? Can you do it on the fly or does it have to be done beforehand?

Has anyone here got it working with the .tsi for the Xponent?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

I use Traktor Pro for djsets and love it. For mixing it's got the best gain structure inside software I've seen (in the new one anyway) for audio.

It gets the syncing/beatgridding thing spot on 95% of the time, and the browser is savage as you can go through your itunes playlists no bother (very very very useful feature).

I use an evolution uc 33, and have everything mapped to it.

Much as I am not a big fan of people using FX while playing other people's records, Traktor's ones are great (particularly the beat masher).

Oh and the looping is absolutely 100% seamless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

I'm using Traktor Pro with a Vestax VCI-100 SE, and I have to say I love them. I was just using Traktor on it's own first, just playing around with it, before investing in the controller. My background is from vinyl, but I'm fully MP3 now.

Traktor is great - for about 95%+ of my tunes you don't need to do anything with beatgrids, just running the analyser over your music and it will set up the waveform / beatgrid / BPM correctly. For those it doesn't, there's good tutorials on youtube on how to set them up - this website is a great place for Traktor / Vestax tips - djtechtools - and also the guy's youtube channel - eangolden

The amount of effects on Traktor pro is practically limitless, I don't have it that long and know I'm not using it to it's potential. The 4 deck stuff is pretty cool, if you have a sample you want to use throughout your set or something like that it's very easy to have it on-hand.

Check out the tutorials on the Native Instruments site, and also take a look at Ritchie Hawtin using it, nuff said really

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Cheers lads. I found this thread for anyone who wants to map the Xponent to Traktor Pro

I'm away for the weekend but will give it a go when I get back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Ive been trying out Traktor for a while. The only problem ive had with the Xponent is getting the cue to play out through the headphones using the Xponents own soundcard. Its a far far better program than Torq. I mapped everything myself but might have a look at that thread anyway to see if there is anything I could be doing better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

My free copy didnt run on Vista(Yeah, I dont know why I run it either). Just something to take note off, though the latest version may.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

traktor 3 doesnt work with 2 soundcards does it?

i have a usb soundcard i use for speakers and an internal soundcard for cuing but this wont work with traktor does it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

From googling it seems that you can use several MIDIs, but only one soundcard. Just get a two stereo channel USB/PCMCIA soundcard. First RCA pair goes to Speakers, second to headphones. Simple :)

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭brianc27

use traktor pro with the evolution uc33-e thingy for volume faders, pitch and eqing, a fadorfox dx2 for mapping play, que, loading tracks, looping, fx etc, have an m-audio trigger finger also to control the 3rd deck, i think its great

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I've got it installed and trying to get it to work with my Xponent but failing miserably. Loading the .tsi file should make everything work but far from it. Basically, I can load a track and play it, I can adjust the pitch, but almost everything else does not work. None of the faders or EQ's work. Deck A (left) I can hear through my speakers, but the Deck B I can only hear through my headphones. I have tried changing the settings to lots of different configs, and used different .tsi files etc but nothing will work.
    Grrrrrrr..

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭geckotime

I'm using Traktor Dj Studio 3. I play it straight out of the headphone socket on my laptop. I don't bother with monitoring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

Zascar wrote: »
    I've got it installed and trying to get it to work with my Xponent but failing miserably. Loading the .tsi file should make everything work but far from it. Basically, I can load a track and play it, I can adjust the pitch, but almost everything else does not work. None of the faders or EQ's work. Deck A (left) I can hear through my speakers, but the Deck B I can only hear through my headphones. I have tried changing the settings to lots of different configs, and used different .tsi files etc but nothing will work.
    Grrrrrrr..

You need to set the outs to the channels on the xponent soundcard, also im almost certain the xponent is midi compatible so you will need to manually assign the buttons on the controller.

geckotime wrote: »
    I'm using Traktor Dj Studio 3. I play it straight out of the headphone socket on my laptop. I don't bother with monitoring.

This is no use if your mixing, unless your like trainwrecks :eek:

You need to set the outs to the channels on the xponent soundcard, also im almost certain the xponent is midi compatible so you will need to manually assign the buttons on the controller.
    Cheers man I got it eventually, needed to set mixer mode to internal, worked then. Now to find a tsi that works cause some of them are shyte

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

This is no use if your mixing, unless your like trainwrecks :eek:
    Ha - before I got my external soundcard I was using Traktor without headphones - I think I did my first 2 slots on Kitchen Sync like this Sean! It's actually do-able with Traktor - you need to know your tunes beforehand, but you can use the wave display to pick up where the beat starts, sync it up and work from there

joker77 wrote: »
    Ha - before I got my external soundcard I was using Traktor without headphones - I think I did my first 2 slots on Kitchen Sync like this Sean! It's actually do-able with Traktor - you need to know your tunes beforehand, but you can use the wave display to pick up where the beat starts, sync it up and work from there

Yeah suppose if you sync them you cheating basturd! How dare you cheat on the radio haha :D

I love the sync button for lazy looping and mixing

Advertisement