Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher Diploma or Masters

Options
  • 03-07-2009 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭

Hi all,

Looking for a bit of advice. I have a BEng in electrical & electronic Engineering form 2004. Since then been in almost full time employment (more of a Mechinical Engineer) but around 7 weeks ago was made redundant.

I've started thinking about going back to college. But I have learned that I will lose my Job Seekers Benefit if I go back and study for a Masters.

I can only keep the JB or Back to Education Allowance if I study for a) a Higher Diploma ar b) to become a teacher.

So what I'm wondering is is it worth my while studying a Higher Diploma in say some Computer Programming course or are they a waste of time?? Do employers look at them seriously?

Or should I just accept some debt for one year and study a Masters?

Thanks,

WM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

Wouldn't you be eligible for the grant as a mature student ?

Yup, if you're eligible for a grant it covers the cost of a Masters or a HDip if full-time. You can do a HDip and then a Masters and get it paid for if you get a grant, but you can't do a Masters and then do a HDip to get it paid for by the grant (it's not progression, whereas Level 8 (Bach.) -> Level 8 (HDip) -> Level 9 (Masters) is).

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭water-man

Thanks for the replies.

Have been doing some reading and I definitely do not qualify for the back to education allowance unless I do a Higher Diploma.

From your reply Donal I see that both Bach. and H.Dip are considered the same level i.e level 8. So studying for a H.Dip would not be considered progression. Looks like a Masters it is.

But I'm still wondering if H.Dips are taking seriously by employers :confused:

I'll apply for the grant in the mean time.

WM

water-man wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies.

Have been doing some reading and I definitely do not qualify for the back to education allowance unless I do a Higher Diploma.

From your reply Donal I see that both Bach. and H.Dip are considered the same level i.e level 8. So studying for a H.Dip would not be considered progression. Looks like a Masters it is.

The HDip from Bachelors actually is progression even though it's at the same level... in the grant regulations (last year's unfortunately) it specifies this clearly:

http://www.education.ie/servlet/blobservlet/support_higher08.doc?language=EN
    For the purposes of this clause postgraduate qualifications at Level 8 are deemed to be progression.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

wtf

only payin back to edu for a hdip

stupid or what, as I am also thinking of doing a masters, so i lose all benefits also.?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭water-man

I only get Jobseekers benefit - so can only comment on this.

But yes if I go back to college to study a masters or phd (I already hold a degree) I loose my JB.

Things are different if you don't have a degree.

WM

Advertisement