Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

contacting my lecturers

• 03-07-2009 11:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭

hey,
    so pretty much my results show that i had a f**king ball in 1st year but must've let out the whole 'study' thing. My results are woeful, and I need to contact my lecturers as soon as possible so they don't think I'm a complete dunce. Blackboard is utterly useless for this, so what other way can i contact them? Pointing out the obvious to me is acceptable, I failed loads of exams so I'm clearly no Einstein!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Same As

Search the name of the lecturer(s) on the UCC website and e-mail them, call to their office or give them a call on their office phone - Most of these details are available on the UCC website, Blackboard isn't what you should be using to contact lecturers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

rm_2008 wrote: »
    hey,
    so pretty much my results show that i had a f**king ball in 1st year but must've let out the whole 'study' thing. My results are woeful, and I need to contact my lecturers as soon as possible so they don't think I'm a complete dunce. Blackboard is utterly useless for this, so what other way can i contact them? Pointing out the obvious to me is acceptable, I failed loads of exams so I'm clearly no Einstein!

:rolleyes:

Ugh - I am so tempted to write something deeply unflattering about people with your attitude to university. But I won't. Go to the UCC website, and look for your department under 'Colleges and Departments'. Find yours, look under 'staff' (or 'faculty'), and all the lecturers, including their email addresses, are there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭kob29

Here furet I'll say it for ya.....pathetic dossing waster with no concept of ambition, discipline or responsibility let alone education :eek: who has probably just wasted the guts of €10,000 of mammy and daddys hard earned cash and is now in some guise of a panic mode as it dawns that he/she may not be going back for another year of money wasting dossing....as they become infinitely less employable by the lecture missed.

^^^ Yup. Not to mention taxpayers' money. The tone of bravado offends too.

kob29 wrote: »
    Here furet I'll say it for ya.....pathetic dossing waster with no concept of ambition, discipline or responsibility let alone education :eek: who has probably just wasted the guts of €10,000 of mammy and daddys hard earned cash and is now in some guise of a panic mode as it dawns that he/she may not be going back for another year of money wasting dossing....as they become infinitely less employable by the lecture missed.
    Furet wrote: »
    ^^^ Yup. Not to mention taxpayers' money. The tone of bravado offends too.
    :rolleyes:

Ugh - I am so tempted to write something deeply unflattering about people with your attitude to university. But I won't. Go to the UCC website, and look for your department under 'Colleges and Departments'. Find yours, look under 'staff' (or 'faculty'), and all the lecturers, including their email addresses, are there.

Lads infairness ye're being a bit harsh on the chap like, the majority of students in UCC will fail an exam as they progress through their time at the college,only to be saved by compensation. Some aren't so lucky.

The OP is a first year,more than likely living away from home for the first time,who quite clearly got caught up in the hype of college living and independence. He's looking for help, not bloody abuse for god sake!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Same As wrote: »
    Lads infairness ye're being a bit harsh on the chap like, the majority of students in UCC will fail an exam as they progress through their time at the college,only to be saved by compensation. Some aren't so lucky.

The OP is a first year,more than likely living away from home for the first time,who quite clearly got caught up in the hype of college living and independence. He's looking for help, not bloody abuse for god sake!

You're dead right - I've failed exams before and I've worked hard to pass in Autumn - is that saying I didn't try hard during the year?? The OP looks for a bit of advice and people immediately have a go - wtf!! If the purpose of Boards.ie is to help people then these people and their superiority complexes shouldn't be allowed on...all work and no play etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

He's looking for help,

he really isn't. he's gone through first year. that's about 6 months in UCC. now he wants to be told how he can contact his lecturers "so they don't think I'm a complete dunce".
    He wants a hand out - he wants it done for him.
    There's no excuse for that and people are quite entitled to be "a bit harsh ".

PaulieC wrote: »
    all work and no play etc.

all work would be fine here. any work would have been fine here.

deRanged wrote: »
    he really isn't. he's gone through first year. that's about 6 months in UCC. now he wants to be told how he can contact his lecturers "so they don't think I'm a complete dunce".
    He wants a hand out - he wants it done for him.
    There's no excuse for that and people are quite entitled to be "a bit harsh ".

This September will be the start of my 4th year at UCC and I know of people who still wouldn't know the mechanism how to contact their lectures re: exams repeats etc. 1st year flies by and its easy to get caught up in the heat of the moment and adopt the whole no work, all play strategy. If ye're not here to help, then just leave the chap alone, all he wanted was advice.

This September will be the start of my 4th year at UCC and I know of people who still wouldn't know the mechanism how to contact their lectures re: exams repeats etc. 1st year flies by and its easy to get caught up in the heat of the moment and adopt the whole no work, all play strategy. If ye're not here to help, then just leave the chap alone, all he wanted was advice.

This is pathetic. I mean, how do they even tie their shoe laces? In all seriousness, I have no ability to comprehend how someone could be so inept and disorganised. It is YOUR responsibility to make yourself aware of the university's contact infrastructure. And in fairness, it isn't hard: www.ucc.ie

And you know, the scathing criticism he's received here might actually help him. Lord knows, he seems to need it. He's just blown a load of taxpayer's money. He deserves to be chastised, not let off. He's an adult, after all.

• Advertisement

all work would be fine here. any work would have been fine here.

And how do you know he did NO work? I had to repeat exams in first year - lived away from home for the first time and had my fun - Come results time I had to contact the lecturers to find out would the exam be changing much format wise, could I check my scripts etc. because I didn't know how UCC worked atall, give the lad advice which is what he's looking for, he's not looking for a hand out from you or for you to do everything for him so leave him off - It's the lecturer who'll have to decide he has or hasn't done the work and if he get what he deserves - not a user on Boards.ie (a website which I'm fairly certain was set up to help people not to judge)

You're dead right - I've failed exams before and I've worked hard to pass in Autumn - is that saying I didn't try hard during the year??

Maybe. It depends on your circumstances. The OP basically told us he spent the whole year drinking and dancing or whatever and didn't bother studying. So HE obviously DIDN'T try hard.

And how do you know he did NO work?

he pretty much said so right there in the first post.

This is pathetic. I mean, how do they even tie their shoe laces? In all seriousness, I have no ability to comprehend how someone could be so inept and disorganised. It is YOUR responsibility to make yourself aware of the university's contact infrastructure. And in fairness, it isn't hard: www.ucc.ie

And you know, the scathing criticism he's received here might actually help him. Lord knows, he seems to need it. He's just blown a load of taxpayer's money. He deserves to be chastised, not let off. He's an adult, after all.

What is pathetic is people who stay on Boards all day & night ranting and have NO social life at all!

Pray tell how he has blown tax payers money? He hasn't exactly failed out of college, August repeats and all that malarkey...

he pretty much said so right there in the first post.

Oh my apologies - that gives people the right to launch their views on how he's such a **** up down his throat instead of doing the simple thing and giving him the thing he wanted - advice - like I said it's not place of a user on Boards.ie to decide whether he should pass or fail it's UCC's end of. I came on to this thread to see if I could help, Same As answered and that should've been the end of it - but I was so taken aback by the need of users such as yourself to try ridicule and embarass the OP thats bugging me. Get off the high horse in all seriousness

Did you teach yourself how to tie your shoelaces or did somebody show you and give you help?? Maybe it all just came naturally to you?

Furet, I may recall you in similiar advice/information seeking circumstances;

Originally Posted By Furet

Classical Music in Cork

I'm just wondering if and where regular classical concerts take place in Cork. Is there any website where information gets published?

Originally Posted By Furet

Where to converse with Germans?
    Hey folks,

I will be staying in a small town called Eltmann (near Bamberg) for three weeks in July to do some historical research.

I have some basic German but have a long way to go. Does anyone have any suggestions for me regarding places I could go in the evenings to practice speaking and listening to German (such as coffee shops, pubs, etc.)? I've been told that Germans aren't very open to initiating conversation with strangers. Any tips?

Vielen Dank.

Perhaps in the future you could adopt a similiar reply strategy as those who were kind enough to post replies to your questions? Would you have preferred it if some NOOOB had posted a reply to your question with an answer such as ":rolleyes: why don't you just use google to find this out, it's easily found on the Whazon Cork website, everybody knows that! :rolleyes: "

Now, lay off unless you've got something useful to say to the OP from within that great oracle-like fountain of knowledge brain of yours!

to decide whether he should pass or fail it's UCC's end of.
    I said nothing of the sort.
    but I was so taken aback by the need of users such as yourself to try ridicule and embarass the OP thats bugging me.
    Get off the high horse in all seriousness
    not this again.

Yeah, except that Google doesn't answer the first question (I searched); and it clearly can't answer the second at all, seen as how I was seeking information from individuals that I know are also learning German. You'll notice too that I did help the OP - I even linked to the page with all the email addresses for him.
    You're a little hysterical, aren't you? A little fixated perhaps?

You'll notice too that I did help the OP - I even linked to the page with all the email addresses for him.

Yep you sure did, thought I had covered that in my reply to the OP first off, but I just couldn't stand the sight of your snide dig at the OP for enjoying his first year off college (perhaps a bit too much one could admit) and failing his exams therein. He knew he was wrong first off and admitted it in his post ,there was ABSOLUTELY no reason/explanation for your abuse of the chap. The thread title is simply " Contacting Lecturers" , not "Abuse OP for failing exams and for not knowing how to get in contact with a lecturer"

As for finding post from yourself in a simliar situation, I needed to make a clear comparison so you could perhaps be a little more understanding towards the OP - this evidently did not work as you seem to be completely set in your ways :rolleyes: Like you in the afforementioned circumstances, he came to boards for help/advice, not for a litany of abuse.

End of topic.

MOD: LOCK REQUEST, OP QUESTION ANSWERED.

• Advertisement

Why bother replying then?

why correct inaccuracies directed at me? for obvious reasons.

not this again.

Genuine apologies for misquotes in that case - I'm refering to the general way this ridiculous thread has gone by people lambasting the young fella for simply seeking advice...give him the advice and leave it at that unless you have more useful advice that could benefit him - there's absolutely no point in people giving out about the fella - I mean if people feel he's wasting tax payers money etc. thats fine everybodys entitled to an opinion but what's the use in telling that to a student what do they think he's going to do? "By gosh those people on boards are right I should clean up my shoddy act" Maybe the fact that he has to repeat in August with his summer in tatters will allow him to learn from his mistakes. Angry replies on boards are of no use!

As for finding post from yourself in a simliar situation, I needed to make a clear comparison so you could perhaps be a little more understanding towards the OP - this evidently did not work as you seem to be completely set in your ways :rolleyes: Like you in the afforementioned circumstances, he came to boards for help/advice, not for a litany of abuse

The comparison is not really valid for obvious reasons. As for my level of helpfulness to the boards.ie community, I've been thanked over 920 times. My record speaks for itself.
    And listen, criticism can be helpful too. I've been through this. I deal with students. Sometimes people need to face higher realities than they're used to. My reaction wasn't so much snide as an open assertion of disdain for that sort of behaviour. Have your fun, but do the work too. UCC is a community, and it works better when people work. Now, if I've unduly offended you or others, then I apologise. But like I said, the criticism should be seen as constructive. He messed up once; he needs to know that it's not okay to act that way again.

I mean if people feel he's wasting tax payers money etc. thats fine everybodys entitled to an opinion but what's the use in telling that to a student what do they think he's going to do? "By gosh those people on boards are right I should clean up my shoddy act"
    people are indeed entitled to their opinions. and to express them, though in this case I think at least one poster went over the top.

there's nothing wrong with failing an exam. nothing at all, though do it through carelessness and you should expect a certain lack of sympathy.
    not rudeness though.
    Maybe the fact that he has to repeat in August with his summer in tatters will allow him to learn from his mistakes.

hopefully. I know I learned a lot my my own August.

the OP got the info he came for, and if he comes back he'll get any more information he wants. and possible some more "you should have"'s.
    consider it being firm but fair.

The comparison is not really valid for obvious reasons

Tbh the comparison is pretty valid, you, like the OP, were seeking advice/information?:pac:
    Now, if I've unduly offended you or others, then I apologise. But like I said, the criticism should be seen as constructive. He messed up once; he needs to know that it's not okay to act that way again.

We could have saved ourselves alot of time if this had been highlighted as constructive criticism straight away :D ! Thanks for the apology, I think it should've been directed towards the OP though!

Tbh the comparison is pretty valid, you, like the OP, were seeking advice/information?:pac:

If I were a member of the classical music community in Cork, then it would be valid. If I were a regular visitor to Germany in order to pick up the language, again, it would be valid. But a student at a university should know how to email his lecturers - especially since he's on the internet already, and typing in ucc.ie isn't so hard.
    We could have saved ourselves alot of time if this had been highlighted as constructive criticism straight away :D ! Thanks for the apology, I think it should've been directed towards the OP though!

Don't push your luck. ;) I'm not going to vindicate behaviour I regard as highly disagreeable. I am apologising for hurt caused; but my sentiments remain as stated.

Correct - he(If like any other college student I know) will more than likely have his parents giving him abuse not to mention his friends reminding him of what he's missing while he's studying - constructive criticism I have found doesn't work well - if a person makes a mistake it will be themselves who will be tough on themselves - the OP will know he's made a mess of things he doesn't need to be reminded by other posters IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,932 ✭✭✭deisedude

The abuse the OP is getting is totally unwarranted. He/She failed exams, that is all. This does not give some "hard man" behind a keyboard the right to ridicule and humiliate them. You all know you wouldnt make such derogatory comments to anyone in person so why should it be any different here. Hiding behind a computer spitting vitriol is cowardly and immature. Grow up FFS:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭rm_2008

Jesus, I didn't realise i could make one topic turn into nuclear f**king warfare in here, all i asked was a simple question! Thanks for the royal boot up the ass aswell lads, I'm stuck inside the library 9-5 everyday now anyway (I can almost see your smug grins). I got in contact with them eventually, bumping into some around college saving me e-mailing them and waiting for a response. Cheers for calling me a ''dunce'', but in fact I actually did go to a lot more lectures than my friends, so maybe I'm not such a ''waster'' ye have labelled me as. Cheers for your help.

• Advertisement

rm_2008 wrote: »
    Jesus, I didn't realise i could make one topic turn into nuclear f**king warfare in here, all i asked was a simple question! Thanks for the royal boot up the ass aswell lads, I'm stuck inside the library 9-5 everyday now anyway (I can almost see your smug grins). I got in contact with them eventually, bumping into some around college saving me e-mailing them and waiting for a response. Cheers for calling me a ''dunce'', but in fact I actually did go to a lot more lectures than my friends, so maybe I'm not such a ''waster'' ye have labelled me as. Cheers for your help.

Alot of highly strung people post on boards, g'luck with the study - past exam Q's all the way and you'll be grand

Best of Luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭kob29

People calm down......he openly admitted to doing sweet FA all year, comparing his efforts to what he considers his friends lesser efforts :rolleyes:
    He should be thanking those here who not only provided the information regarding contacting lecturers but also a timely kick up the lazy arse. Better he get it now than when a portion of his marks count towards his degree.

Here's a though to ponder.....work:social life balance......he could actually do like so many more and balance study with a social life! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,779 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Some serious smell of no sex ITT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

Nice of you to bring up this thread again:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,779 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Nice of you to bring up this thread again:confused:

The truly great threads never die.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭micknail

kob29 wrote: »
    He should be thanking those here who not only provided the information regarding contacting lecturers but also a timely kick up the lazy arse. Better he get it now than when a portion of his marks count towards his degree.

Timely kick up the arse was about Christmas imo.

Still perplexes me as to with UCC don't have 2 exam sessions,
    one at Christmas and in the summer.
    Especially as 50% of most peoples modules end at Christmas.

120 days to Christmas btw.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

We don't drag up old threads.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement