Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Just had an accident

• 03-07-2009 11:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭

Had an accident where I was in the wrong and crashed into another car. Guards have been informed and are contacting the other party.

What happens from here do i just get in contact with the other guy and get him to get a quote to get it fixed and then either pay him or go down the insurance route.

Damage to his car is minimal the front centre of my car went into the back right corner of his.

Can some please advise whats the ususal turn of events.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Had an accident where I was in the wrong and crashed into another car. Guards have been informed and are contacting the other party.

What happens from here do i just get in contact with the other guy and get him to get a quote to get it fixed and then either pay him or go down the insurance route.

Damage to his car is minimal the front centre of my car went into the back right corner of his.

Can some please advise whats the ususal turn of events.

The first thing you need is an estimate for damages. To warn you here, there may be more damage caused than what you actually see - the chassis could be twisted for example, so dont be shocked when you get a massive estimate and think "sure, he only needed a new bumper".

Depending on the estimate, you may or may not want to get your insurance involved. Chances are he will have already notified his insurance company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

honest chap theres not many of you ( my guess is he wasnt at the car at the time )

he should contact you with a estimate. if its just a simple bumper fixing shouldnt cost to much ( €600 ish max )

dont go with the first estimate that he gets ask for 3. or go to a repair center yourself and tell them what the damage is if you like there quote then go with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭carly_86

You can bring the other persons car to a gargage of your choice that way you won't be screwed out off money.:) If the damage isn't that bad to the other car, maybe your better off paying for it out of your own pocket.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

carly_86 wrote: »
    You can bring the other persons car to a gargage of your choice that way you won't be screwed out off money.:)....

That's incorrect. The other side has to agree to the estimate, and bodyshop. It's unlikely that they'll go for a cheap repair also. They'll understandably want their car repaired properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭carly_86

Ive been in crashes before and that was the way it worked. Of course the other person wants the car to be repaired properly but what i'm saying is the garage could rip them off:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Don't forget the personal injury claims! Other driver has up to 2 years if he wants to pursue you for any injuries :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭mark1974

Two ways of dealing with this issue:
    1. Pay for damage yourself.
    If this is the route you are taking you will have to be absolutely sure that the other person is not going to make a personal injuries claimagaist you later on(ie. car empty when you hit it) otherwise you could pay for damage and still the insurance company would be involved.
    As for you picking the garage, its entirely up to the injured party what garage they want to get their car repaired at.

2. Let the insurance company deal with it and you wont have to worry about it again. That is until your premium comes up for renewal of course.:(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,582 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Guards have been informed and are contacting the other party..

Fair play. There's plenty wouldn't.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

carly_86 wrote: »
    Ive been in crashes before and that was the way it worked. Of course the other person wants the car to be repaired properly but what i'm saying is the garage could rip them off:D

True, but the onus is on the other party to be satisfied with the repair, and not for the party at fault to save a few quid on using a cheaper bodyshop/inferior repair.

I got hit by another car a while back (their fault) and got an estimate. The other side said they'd get it fixed much cheaper. I got my insurer send out an independent engineer/assessor, who trimmed our estimate down slightly (getting 1 panel beaten out instead of replaced) and the repairs were then done in my bodyshop of choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

I was the only driver involved the other car was parked(I know!) the crash was due to tiredness I had been driving for a while and pulled in whenever i felt the eyes closing and was literaly 150yards from my house. My car is quite light (Ka Van) and i can't have been doing more than 15-20mph 30 is the most it could have been.

It would seem that my car has suffered most of the impact and as such the damage but as was said the other car may have underlying damage. The guards were just passing and I called them over was breathalised and read 0 so no problems just some damage to pay for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

psittacosis, as annoying as it is at least no one else was hurt. I'd recommend paying for the damage yourself if you can; just easier in the long term.

Advertisement