Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Missing - We need your help!

• 03-07-2009 11:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hi Guys

if you live in Waterford city maybe you can help us -
    We are looking for 2 male Japanese Akita dogs that went missing from the IDA Waterford Industrial estate / business park at 8pm last night July 2nd while being brough on their daily walk -

1 of the 3 dogs dogs returned when called but 2 have not been found since -
    case is extremly suspicious as they never not come back when called - gardai / dog wardens / and CCTV owners in the estate have all been alerted

The dogs are purebread with NO papers so are not valuable - but are extremly valuable family pets - as you can imagine the family are distraught -

One of the male sogs is around 3 years old , the other is just over 1 year old, the mother of the young dog that returned has been wimpering since there dissapearence and is refusing to eat -

it is crucial that we see the safe return of these pets.

These akitas are pets and not dangerous but like any animal in a threatening endangered or scared position - they could turn

if you have any infomation please please PLEASE leave an anonymous call to your local dog sheltar / radio station / ispca

WATERFORD GARDA STATION - 051 874888

WATERFORD DOG SHELTER - 051-872247 or dogshelter@waterfordcity.ie
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 DeadFlowerRecs

here is a clip of them -

it is the two larger dogs that are missing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaAvO2tZkuo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Is this the main estate or the one further out the cork road?

it is the main estate,

they would have been walked past AOL / and around the whole route up by Baush & laumb and then out by the old NTL building

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

Will keep an eye out and let some friends know ...

l_7bca72b379764dafbac6fee3640415c7.jpg

l_e08778194d7b42a09c25f1631ef35195.jpg

l_04704d4425bc4cb09421203d3fa7d372.jpg

PLEASE HELP US FIND THEM!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You should (also) post in http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=60922800 Lost/Found pets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Give WLR a ring as well!

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭lassykk

OK firstly I am very sorry for your loss and all but I have two queries in relation to this.

1. Why were the dogs not on a lead or did they break free from the lead?
    2. Were the dogs correctly muzzled as required by Irish law as they are classified as dangerous dogs?

See below: Taken from http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/environment/animal-welfare-and-control/control_of_dogs

* Dogs should always be kept on a leash and under control.
    * The following breeds (and crossbreeds with strains) are considered dangerous and must wear a muzzle: American Pit Bull Terrier, English Bull Terrier, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, Bull Mastiff, Doberman Pinscher, German Shepherd (Alsatian), Rhodesian Ridgeback, Rottweiler, Japanese Akita, Japanese Tosa and Bandog.

I have a very big problem with dogs roaming freely when out for walks. Granted the problem is not as bad as it was in the past but it is still a problem. I have a close family relative who is terrified of dogs and can't even go for a walk at our house due to dogs roaming freely. When the owners are questioned we are told they are harmless but that is not the point.

I know I'll probably be slated for this post as the majority of people love dogs but that doesn't mean those of us who don't should have to fear stray dangerous (as per above definition) dogs roaming freely.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Mod Note:
    I think these questions can be directed over PM as the topic is about finding the dog and not discussing the legalities of them. Since the Gardai are aware, I am sure they will follow up anything that needs to be done. So, unless you can contribute to the topic at hand, it would be appreciated if you sent the OP a PM with your questions. If you have any comment about this post, please send me a PM. Further off topic posts will result in infractions and/or bans, as per the forum charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Scotchie

Sorry to hear abt the dogs. Have sent the word around AOL to keep an eye out, good luck.

• Advertisement

thanks guys

just got a call that both dogs have been found -

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

thanks guys

Excellent news. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

Delighted ! Friend has a Japanese American Akita aswell, never met such a friendly dog and I'm usually fairly nervous around dogs ! Again, delighted they've been found !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Good stuff!! :)

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

Beautiful dogs. Glad it turned out well in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

Good to hear! They are lovely looking dogs you have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

any more updates?
    were they taken in by someone or just roaming free?
    any ideas what spooked them in the first place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

that is good to hear OP. I'd imagine it is fairly easy for dogs to run off there in the IDA taking into account all the railings they can go under and so on, prob best to keep them leashed in the future i'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I thought it sounded like they might have been stolen so I am glad they were found.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

I always see you walking those dogs and they look amazing. My other half will be glad to hear they are found, she's forever asking me for one. In fact I was starting to get worried she might have taken them, lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

thanks guys

Found where?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭CJTobin

Glad to hear it, OP. Give them both a great big hug from all the relieved Boards.ies!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 496 ✭✭renraw

Glad to see you found them. Often seen you walking the dogs and they're absolutely beautiful. Well done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭flan59

Surprised to see that the "Concerned" owner has not been back to update the site. Have to agree with lassykk, there are too many dogs being walked in an area where they are not allowed, the estate, without being correctly muzzled and on a lead.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

flan59 wrote: »
    Surprised to see that the "Concerned" owner has not been back to update the site. Have to agree with lassykk, there are too many dogs being walked in an area where they are not allowed, the estate, without being correctly muzzled and on a lead.

Agreed, its also worth noting that the IDA is private property, as such people shouldn't be in it walking anything unless they work in it at that time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

well since this issue is resolved i wouldn't mind a bit of a debate on the subject lassykk brought up cause he made a few good points.

I like dogs but i wouldn't for second leave any roam free. Real problem with it out my way, ya know kids can just run over and do god knows what and cause a problem.

ziedth wrote: »
    well since this issue is resolved i wouldn't mind a bit of a debate on the subject lassykk brought up cause he made a few good points.

I like dogs but i wouldn't for second leave any roam free. Real problem with it out my way, ya know kids can just run over and do god knows what and cause a problem.

Animal & Pets forum for such a discussion as the issue is not specific to Waterford (without getting technical!)

Much as I agree with your POV, its not the right forum for it which is why lassykk was asked to keep it from the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭henboy

Really glad to hear you got the dogs back. I was the proud owner of an Akita for four and a half years. The Akita is a beautiful dog,like your own dogs I like the pinto colours. With there breed sometimes when they go in to a field and they pick up a scent all the calling and whistles won't make a difference.They could be in that field for days.

Like any dog no matter how well you have them trained you can't take your eye off them for a second. Still saying that the Akita is the most loyal of all dogs. What I would like to say is if anyone is thinking of getting this breed please do your research . With the akita breed being dominent over any other dog, they really should be on a leash. And when in public always muzzled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭lassykk

I've created a post in animal issues for those who may wish to discuss this

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=61011477#post61011477

I would like to thank the members who echoed my comments.

I wasn't allowed comment again in this thread and I must say I found Sully's attitude that I "Sadly, you are letting your feelings get in the way of making an informed choice." very unfriendly. Clearly which laws are obeyed in Ireland is a matter of choice.

Judging by the fact that people have agreed with me in this thread I think Sully shouldn't be so quick to judge peoples comments.

By the way I am genuinely glad the dogs were found safely and I wouldn't wish any animal be hurt or stolen from its owners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

To be fair, Sully was only doing what any mod would do. He was trying to keep the thread on topic and make it easier for the OP to keep track of the thread. The OP obviously found himself in a stressful situation and didn't need the hassle of trawling through a thread that had descended into a debate about dogs for information on the whereabouts of his own dogs!

Advertisement