Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Silencing a car?

• 03-07-2009 12:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭

Hi,

Im trying to quieten down the noise coming from my car.
    Its an auld mazda 121 (ford fiesta). Its got that tractor sound (its 1.3 petrol). Its not super loud, but Id like to soften the noise & tone it down.

Is there any way of doing this - cheaply?

Ta

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 43 Mr. darragh

what condition is the exhaust in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 katierose

I'm guessing the noise is coming from the exaust, and if so it may have a hole in it, easy to fix and cheap. If there's no hole in it you can go into any car warehouse or auto shop and ask do they stock silencers for the exaust ( it's a small round thing put into the exaust). If it's not even the exaust that's making the noise I'm sorry but I guess you will have 2 get ear plugs!!! :):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

That old Fiesta engine has been around for decades, I think it is noisy by nature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Leave it turned off ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭ogriofa

thanks, the last 2 comments are probably spot on :)
    No, the exhaust is fine. I think the "noisy by nature" comment is the right diagnosis.
    Thanks, case closed :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

You could (If you had a few hundred to spare) get the bulkhead between the engine bay and the passenger compartment covered in dynamat, and the door skins, and floor. It's heavy stuff, but it works wonders in dampening sound.

Actually, would getting a new "sound proofing mat" for the underside of the bonnet help?

You could (If you had a few hundred to spare) get the bulkhead between the engine bay and the passenger compartment covered in dynamat, and the door skins, and floor. It's heavy stuff, but it works wonders in dampening sound.

Holy sheet! Same page there!
    I'll have a look at that.
    Ta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Depends on if the old one is worn, but that's only a part of how the sound travels into the passenger compartment. It gets in through the metal behind the dash also.

I've driven in cars that have been dynamatted, and it makes a considerable difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 oirishman

These could work
    katamari_damacy_queen_of_all_c.html

• Advertisement

Did you get the tappets done? 15 min job on that engine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭lau1247

Leave it turned off ;)

I like they way you think cookie monster :D

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭Tefral

samih wrote: »
    Did you get the tappets done? 15 min job on that engine.

Thats the problem.... they can be fixed to actually take the majority of the noise out.... that engine was very loud anyway....

Advertisement