Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tá / is é

• 03-07-2009 12:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 436 ✭✭

Hi everyone :)
    When I was in school I was exempt from Irish, but now I've recently taken it up (& loving every minute of it!!!)

Anyway, I just have a basic question,
    How come you can't say things like,
    "Tá Brian Cowen an Taoiseach" it's got to be "Is é Brian Cowen an Taoiseach"??? but you can say "tá mé cairdiúil" & how do you know when to use which one?

I'm just having a little trouble with this verb "to be"

it'll be great if anyone of you could give me a few sample sentences as well;)

BTW, this is definitely going to be one of MANY questions :eek:

Go raibh maith agat!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Múinteoir

It's simple enough actually. The rule is that you can use the Tá mé construction when it's followed by an adjective or an action, but never when it's followed by a noun.

Tá mé go maith/mór (adjective) - Correct
    Tá mé ag obair (verb/action) - Correct
    Tá mé fear (noun) - Incorrect

Is must be used in the case of nouns of all types.

As to why this is the case, it just is; Irish is a different language from English and so has its own distinct grammar and syntax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Muinteoir just explained that perfectly, but an extra thing to look out for that I learned recently is that often the is at the start of the sentence can be silent in speech (you'd get it in the written though)- that is the is is not spoken, but is understood (it's still there).

Mar shampla:

'Mise Micheál' is sometimes said, instead of 'is mise Micheál'.

Sampla eile:

'Beatha teanga i a labhairt' = Is beatha teanga i a labhairt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

is duine cairdiúl mé nó tá mé cairdiúl???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

is duine cairdiúl mé nó tá mé cairdiúl???

is duine cairdiúil mé: I'm a friendly person.

Tá mé cairdiúil: I am friendly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

cool

so both are perfectly right?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Múinteoir

cool

so both are perfectly right?

Yes, they are. But they're not the exact same sentence. One gives more information than the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 436 ✭✭Jay Pentatonic

Ok. well, the Tá mé structure is pretty easy, it's just the "is..." thing I'm now finding a bit hard.

Just correct me if I'm wrong...

When talking about yourself or someone else the pronoun is pushed to the end,

is duine cairdiúil mé
    is duine cairdiúil sé/sí

but when you give a name in the sentence the structure is a little different, as I had earlier,

Is é Brian Cowen an Taoiseach
    Is í Mary Mac Léinn

during this structure the pronoun is just one letter & that's it...yeah?
    a few more sample sentences would go a long way.;)

Sorry if all of these embarrassingly basic questions annoys anyone, but I'd just really like to do well in this. :)

Jay1989 wrote: »
    Ok. well, the Tá mé structure is pretty easy, it's just the "is..." thing I'm now finding a bit hard.

Just correct me if I'm wrong...

When talking about yourself or someone else the pronoun is pushed to the end,

is duine cairdiúil mé
    is duine cairdiúil sé/sí

but when you give a name in the sentence the structure is a little different, as I had earlier,

Is é Brian Cowen an Taoiseach
    Is í Mary Mac Léinn

during this structure the pronoun is just one letter & that's it...yeah?
    a few more sample sentences would go a long way.;)

Sorry if all of these embarrassingly basic questions annoys anyone, but I'd just really like to do well in this. :)

Jay you have to keep asking :) In fairness to ya you've fairly copped on to it!

The 'is' construction is known as the 'copula' or 'an chopail' and is different to 'tá' in that 'tá' comes from the verb bi- to be. If you can get (or have) a grammar book, there'll be a dedicated chapter just on the chopail with all the various forms and tenses- positive, negative, past tense, present tense, etc.

The only thing wrong with your example above, is (and you got it right in the second set of examples), is duine cairdiuil i/é (the si/sé changes to the pronouns i and é).

The copula structure and word order controls where the emphasis falls.

So, if you were to change your sentence to :

Is mac léinn i Mary you are saying 'Mary is a student' whereas
    Is i Mary mac léinn means 'Mary is a student' and so the latter would be less commonly used in that context.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 436 ✭✭Jay Pentatonic

Cool! that's great to hear!, but can you recommend a good book? I've only got that "teach yourself Irish" thing, but it's not great.

BTW, I can't really afford lessons at the moment (for obvious reasons) so that's why I'm using boards ;), since I have no teacher to ask when I'm stuck, & everyone I know who did Irish when they were in school are...well...a certain Carlsberg ad comes to mind...

HaHA :) Totally get ya there. Well I have a few grammar books- the two I'd recommend to ya is the Christian Brothers 'New Irish Grammar'- they fit a lot into it, and the bonus is that it's completely in English (the other 'Bible' Grammar book by the Christian Brothers is in Irish and very very detailed but brilliant- but you don't need it straight away at the same time if you are starting out).
    The second grammar book you could get is the Irish Grammar Book by Nollaig Mac Congail, which is very easy to follow and has more examples than Irish christian Brothers- I've found it useful to use Nollaig after I've learned what is in the Irish Christian Brothers..
    The other good Grammar books I have are 'Cruinnscriobh na Gaeilge' by Ciaran Mac Murchaidh which is fantastic but completely in Irish and again you may be better off waiting for a month or so before using it.
    So yeah see what others recommend also!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 staryplough

Jay1989Cool! that's great to hear!, but can you recommend a good book? I've only got that "teach yourself Irish" thing, but it's not great.

buntús na Gaeilge is available online with a good explaination of how the copula works.

http://www.people.fas.harvard.edu/~hillers/BUNTUS-1.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Strictly speaking, is fear é Brian Cowen, but tá Brian Cowan ina Thaoiseach, surely - because the 'tá mé i mo....' phrasing is for something that's a temporary state, whereas the 'is é' phrasing is for a permanent state.

luckat wrote: »
    Strictly speaking, is fear é Brian Cowen, but tá Brian Cowan ina Thaoiseach, surely - because the 'tá mé i mo....' phrasing is for something that's a temporary state, whereas the 'is é' phrasing is for a permanent state.

True true, that's the rule of thumb alright but you use the copula to emphasise as well.

So if you are saying 'Is é Brian Cowen an Taoiseach' you could take that to mean 'Brian Cowen (as opposed to someone else) is the Taoiseach'.

But otherwise 'tá Brian C ina thaoiseach' to show what he does that earns him 300k a year + !! Yep.. temporary alright ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Beer Werewolf

Hmmm Carlsberg, been drinking that all night...my breath stinks of it...

This stuff is useful, don't be embarrassed asking questions. I've asked way more basic questions, trust me. :) This thread is useful to me and probably plenty of others as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Samildánach

D'fhéadfaí a rá:

"Beidh Brian Ó Comhain in a Thaoiseach go dtí an toghcháin"

Sílim.(?)

Advertisement