Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor Coverage in Kildare area

• 03-07-2009 12:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭

Last week coverage on my meteor phone was barely functional and quite crackly (1 signal bar. 2 at best), but this week it's completely non-existent.

I've had absolutely no signal for three days in a couple of mile radius around where I live, and can only make & receive calls when I get onto the motorway near Kildare town.

Is this the norm for south Kildare? I asked the guy in the meteor store where I bought it how the coverage was where i lived , and was told it was "fine", but this is clearly not the case, and kinda renders any benefits such as free meteor calls and texts useless to me if I cant call people. (glad i didn't fall for the 'mobile broadband' spiel as well. I imagine that'd get great coverage in my gaff.)

Is there upgrading work being done or something? Anyone know if the signal will ever get any better?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Have you considered that it may be a phone fault? Have you tried your sim in another phone? Have you seen if other people on Meteor have the same problems?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭2fivers

It's my own phone, it's just a meteor sim, which I've also tried in my spare handset to no avail.

Anyone else visiting me who happen to be on the meteor network also loses coverage while here, so I'm fairly sure it's a signal issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

I've noticed I'm getting a 3G signal where I didn't before. Getting less than EDGE speeds with my mobile though.

Methinks either they're doing work or [as the smart lady in the store said] they may have changed the direction of a mast near me ?

Generally their coverage has been fine.

i'm out the Athy side of Kilcullen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Im also on the athy side of kilcullen (Hi Long_b)

I have never had any problems with meteor coverage there. Always full signal for me.

Newbridge side of Kilcullen (ish) here, but nearer Kildare.

May as well be carrying around a briquette in my pocket for all the use the phone is to me at the mo, to be honest.:)

(I've just been told that Vodafone coverage has been notoriously bad here for years - Do meteor piggyback on their masts here?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

If it's because of 3g than just knock it back to gsm.

Set both my phones to operate on GSM 900/1800 and tried a friends meteor sim as well as my own, but no change, sadly.

Guess I just live in a meteor black spot. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Matts

2fivers wrote: »
    Set both my phones to operate on GSM 900/1800 and tried a friends meteor sim as well as my own, but no change, sadly.

Guess I just live in a meteor black spot. :(

I dont know what it's like now, but late last year, there was pretty much a "twilight zone" of dead air areas on Meteor and Vodafone from Athgarvan/Old Kilcullen on the eastern side of Newbridge all the way over to Tully / French Furze on the west side.

I worked regularly around this area and had to switch to O2 as neither Meteor nor VF was dependable enough for regular contact. I'd leave these areas in the car and as soon as I hit the Naas dual carriageway the phone would go mad with 'missed call' messages.

If you're in this area, I totally understand your frustration.

(there might be more spots, but they were the ones I was personally aware of, and, as I say, it's been a while, so they may have improved since I switched)

If it is an issue, perhaps more affected people contacting meteor customer service might bring attention to this?

Advertisement