Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB and their Mortgage criteria.

Options
  • 03-07-2009 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭

Myself and my partner sold our house a year ago and have been renting ever since. A couple of houses near where we are renting and have caught our eye. One in particular which is a 4 bedroom detached house (2300 sq feet) on an acre of land is really really nice. It has an asking price of 230.000 (Cavan area)

We decided to go with a mortgage broker just to see if we could get mortgage approval. We dont even know if we will buy yet as I still reckon prices have a bit to fall but at the same time if we saw THE house I would like to have the mortgage approval in place.

So we applied for a mortgage of 215,000. We earn 90,000 a year between us and we have 45,000 in savings. We have gotten approval from a couple of banks/building societys but were refused by AIB.

The reason that AIB gave for refusing us is that they were unsure if we would have the capacity for the repayment. The repayments would have been roughly 1000 a month. We are currently paying 720 a month in rent. However for the 5 years up until we sold our house we were paying 1200 a month on our mortgage so even though we had less money then we were meeting our mortgage committments. The broker we were dealing with said that AIB are just rediculous to deal with and that they are lending to nobody.

Anybody else have dealings with AIB?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I know it's not what you're looking for but I'm curious why you care?

other banks are willing to give you the money

with that deposit which is pretty big and it's obvious you can afford the payments between you that there is definitely another reason AIB don't want to do business with you and lots like you but they're giving you a cock n bull story?

go to one of the other banks and forget about AIB it seems you're taken the refusal a bit personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

ntlbell wrote: »
    I know it's not what you're looking for but I'm curious why you care?

other banks are willing to give you the money

with that deposit which is pretty big and it's obvious you can afford the payments between you that there is definitely another reason AIB don't want to do business with you and lots like you but they're giving you a cock n bull story?

go to one of the other banks and forget about AIB it seems you're taken the refusal a bit personally.

You are right. I should'nt care because we have approval anyway. To be honest I am just baffled by their reason for not approving the loan.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 wandiwar

Hi we were in the same boat recently. Got refused by AIB cos 'the regulator is watching us very closely' (that was the reason we got). We do all our banking with them etc..... Went to our branch cos we had no idea why exactly we were refused.

He reapplied for us and eventually got us approval after fighting our case. He said they are just refusing everything for the silliest reasons.

It's worth a while just going in to talk to the branch manager. Ours was brilliant. Took him a few weeks but gout us sorted!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

gazzer wrote: »
    You are right. I should'nt care because we have approval anyway. To be honest I am just baffled by their reason for not approving the loan.

unless you are going to get a better interest rate off them i wouldnt worry about it. Some banks are "Open Closed for Business"

the bizarre thing is I've had two or three calls from AIB in the last year or so

asking me am i ok for everything and is there anything they can do for me..

very odd!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

ntlbell wrote: »
    the bizarre thing is I've had two or three calls from AIB in the last year or so

asking me am i ok for everything and is there anything they can do for me..

very odd!

Same here that said I think that really translates to.

"We have lent you a lot of money just checking to make sure were not gonna leave us up the creek without a paddle " ;)

D3PO wrote: »
    Same here that said I think that really translates to.

"We have lent you a lot of money just checking to make sure were not gonna leave us up the creek without a paddle " ;)

I oue em shag all I think they just wanted me to get up to my arm pits in it again ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 cmd25

Hi, we are kind of in the same posistion with the AIB. I applied for mortgage myself and my partner with the AIB. They were posting out letters for my partner to apply that he would qualify for €170,000 on his own. When we went to apply together they then sent out a letter refusing us. We have a combined income of €46,800 per annum. The only loan we have is €8,000 and savings of €5,000. Parents were giving us deposit as a gift of 12,000 for a house which we wanted to purchase for 150,000 so basically all we needed was 147,000 from the bank. We are so disappointed because the bank had our hopes up. The house is a builders finish and was currently €380,000 before the recession. Has anyone any help or advice for us or in the same posistion. :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

cmd25 wrote: »
    Hi, we are kind of in the same posistion with the AIB. I applied for mortgage myself and my partner with the AIB. They were posting out letters for my partner to apply that he would qualify for €170,000 on his own. When we went to apply together they then sent out a letter refusing us. We have a combined income of €46,800 per annum. The only loan we have is €8,000 and savings of €5,000. Parents were giving us deposit as a gift of 12,000 for a house which we wanted to purchase for 150,000 so basically all we needed was 147,000 from the bank. We are so disappointed because the bank had our hopes up. The house is a builders finish and was currently €380,000 before the recession. Has anyone any help or advice for us or in the same posistion. :(

You probably need to clear that loan of €8000 and show an increased amount of savings. Repayments on the loan are what? €250 per month? That will be factored in against your net income.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Your maths seem to be a bit off.

House €150,000? So deposit of €12,000 does not equate to a loan of €147000. Thats probably why you were refused. You would need at least 85% LTV, so you'd be looking for a mortgage for €127500.

It matters not what the house was valued at "before the recession" as that has feck all bearing on what the house is worth now.

• Advertisement

Your maths seem to be a bit off.

House €150,000? So deposit of €12,000 does not equate to a loan of €147000. Thats probably why you were refused. You would need at least 85% LTV, so you'd be looking for a mortgage for €127500.

It matters not what the house was valued at "before the recession" as that has feck all bearing on what the house is worth now.

Sorry, yeah we applied for 160,000 but auctionner reckons the seller would accept 150,000. They will give us €147,200 and we have to put up a deposit of 12,800. They lend 92% motgage as we are FTB. Well thats what they said we could have and then we got a letter refusing us and they said that are not obliged to have to give us a reason.

Stheno wrote: »
    You probably need to clear that loan of €8000 and show an increased amount of savings. Repayments on the loan are what? €250 per month? That will be factored in against your net income.

I am paying €400 pm on my car loan and saving €200pm. These payments don't neccesarily have to be this high but we moved out of rented accomadation recently to try save and i started paying off more on my loan. This loan is just in my own name, my partner has no loan and he got a letter for just him asking if he wanted a mortgage so don't know why they refused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Clear that car loan. What was the max that AIB offered you? 147k?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

I've never personally dealt with AIB but a friend of mine has banked with them for 17 years and has always been refused a loan/mortgage/overdraft.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I am paying €400 pm on my car loan and saving €200pm. These payments don't neccesarily have to be this high but we moved out of rented accomadation recently to try save and i started paying off more on my loan. This loan is just in my own name, my partner has no loan and he got a letter for just him asking if he wanted a mortgage so don't know why they refused.

Your car loan will have affected the joint loan application.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

I've never personally dealt with AIB but a friend of mine has banked with them for 17 years and has always been refused a loan/mortgage/overdraft.

Why? Why stay with a bank that won't give you an overdraft after 17 years???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

He's very lazy. He has said he's changing banks, a decision I fully agree with, as you say, why stay with a bank that does nothing for you? But the bank he is moving to, he selected them because "there's a few around where I work."

Like I said I'm all for him changing banks to get himself a better deal but I wish he'd choose his bank on the criteria "What can this bank do for me?"

Still, he hasn't even gone ahead with the switch yet. I could have the same story to tell a year or two down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

If he's been lodging pay into the bank, he's probably made them a small fortune over the years with no access to any credit whatsoever to show for it.
    Madness!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,641 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

AIB are in the sh*t, the absolute sh*t, and if it weren't for Anglo being even worse, everybody would be talking about having to bail out AIB for the umpteenth time. They are only going to loan to someone with a very high LTV ratio, or if you have the money in the bank already.

While Anglo won't exist as a bank in real terms in the next few years as they get it under control, AIB will be allowed to keep operating, and we'll be bailing the f*ckheads out again in 10 years time.

gurramok wrote: »
    Clear that car loan. What was the max that AIB offered you? 147k?

They sent a letter saying that there is 170,000 available to my partner for a mortgage but then when we applied for it they refused us. We were very confused and frustrated as they were the ones who wrote him. They get your hopes up and then let you down with a bang! :mad:

• Advertisement

Does anybody know what Ulster Bank are like to deal with for mortgages as someone has recommended them to me? Has anyone being accepted while also having other loans?

Stheno wrote: »
    Your car loan will have affected the joint loan application.

Do you reckon that you have to have no other loans now before they will give mortgages ?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

They sent a letter saying that there is 170,000 available to my partner for a mortgage but then when we applied for it they refused us. We were very confused and frustrated as they were the ones who wrote him. They get your hopes up and then let you down with a bang! :mad:

Sounds misleading, and while there may have been small print on the 'offer' I would say still worth reporting to the financial regulator, the ombudsman, or the consumer association.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

They probably based 170k on the salary they see going into the bank, it's only a guideline. The fact that he has a wive with a loan, more outgoings than they expected would affect all these values.

It's usually recommended that you have nothing outstanding unless you have a wage well above the mortgage and meet the LTV ratio

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Rooneysdaman

<<They are only going to loan to someone with a very high LTV ratio, or if you have the money in the bank already.>>

Without getting into figures, I have a 50% downpayment to make, no other debt and a steady (low-paying but adequate) job. Have been refused by BOI, AIB and KBC on the grounds that I have been in job less than 1 year. Totally discounting that current job is a continuation of the career I had in the US for the past 15 years. Very frustrating.

I have zero expectation of the answer changing when the one-year point is reached in November. They will have a different excuse by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Dr. Dodger

I think before you go applying for any mortgage now in the current climate, you should be debt free. I have heard (correct me if I'm wrong) that for every €1000 of debt, they take €10,000 off the mortgage amount they will offer you. You're other half was offered €170,000 because he had no debt. I would say when the joint application went through, your debt becomes his debt & so they've rejected you.

Get rid of the debt asap. I don't think it makes sense to have savings of €5k when you owe €8k and paying interest. Completely counter productive when looking for a mortgage. Just my opinion.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Dr. Dodger wrote: »
    I think before you go applying for any mortgage now in the current climate, you should be debt free. I have heard (correct me if I'm wrong) that for every €1000 of debt, they take €10,000 off the mortgage amount they will offer you. You're other half was offered €170,000 because he had no debt. I would say when the joint application went through, your debt becomes his debt & so they've rejected you.

Get rid of the debt asap. I don't think it makes sense to have savings of €5k when you owe €8k and paying interest. Completely counter productive when looking for a mortgage. Just my opinion.

I'd echo what Dr. Dodger has said above.
    Any debt at all- massively reduces the amount they are willing to lend you.
    Also- irrespective of when the principle on that debt may be repaid in full- it gets added to the max monthly repayment calculation the bank use (which is 35% of NET pay towards servicing mortgage and other outstanding debt). So- even a relatively small car loan can have a totally disproportionate impact on a mortgage application.

In short- clear all outstanding debt- absolutely everything- credit cards, car loans, overdrafts, term loans etc- clear the whole lot of them before you apply- and then work your calculation around what 35% of your NET income is- and what 85% of the LTV of the property comes to.

Some of the lending institutions are offering 92% loans to first time buyers- in theory- in practice, despite the advertising- they are far more likely to agree to a mortgage with an LTV of below 85% than a 92% loan (on current trends a 92% loan would be in negative equity within a year!!!)

Clear any debt- generate a reasonable amount of savings (I'd say at least 15% of the price of the property), and then apply.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Does anybody know what Ulster Bank are like to deal with for mortgages as someone has recommended them to me? Has anyone being accepted while also having other loans?

Ulster Bank will probably give you a mortgage offer- with other outstanding loans- providing it falls within the total of 35% NET income to make repayments, and you are a pre-existing Ulster Bank customer. They will most probably not offer a mortgage to a new customer with outstanding loans.

EBS and Ulster Bank are probably the two most lenient institutions out there at present (they started negative equity mortgages in April)- however they are not actively seeking new customers (and Ulster Bank as part of RBS- actually appears to be running down its Irish loan book, according to their last market update).

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

Do you reckon that you have to have no other loans now before they will give mortgages ?

Yes, absolutely! Any mortgage advisor would tell you that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

Don't bother with them, they are not interested in the Irish Mortgage market anymore. Their rates is a reflection of that and I've been personally told the same by one of their employees who was supposed to advise me on a mortgage application earlier this year.

Advertisement