Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards.ie World XI - Middle of the Park

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭fkt

Mascherano + Alonso is the best defensive midfield partnership there is. As individuals there's better but this is a team and for those two there is no match. Iniesta can't be considered in this line of a 4-2-3-1.

And by the way, fair play for picking 4-2-3-1. Surprised me but it's the best in the business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭fkt

How can anyone say Fabregas is better than Alonso? Ridicilous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

fkt wrote: »

I'm gonna be worried if you tell me you're not a liverpool supporter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Mascherano + Alonso is the best defensive midfield partnership there is. As individuals there's better but this is a team and for those two there is no match. Iniesta can't be considered in this line of a 4-2-3-1.

And by the way, fair play for picking 4-2-3-1. Surprised me but it's the best in the business.

Except , hypothetically, in fantasy land, maybe a better partnership could be formed. Which I think the votes will show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,131 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I'd tend to say the opposite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

Id rate them around the same tbh, I could go for one or the other on any given day. Its certainly not rediculous to say Cesc is better than Alonso.

Anyway, this is irrelevant because niether of 'em are getting anywhere near this team :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I think most people would actually!

Paparazzo wrote: »
    I think most people would actually!

Sssh, Aurelio is better than Clichy too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,131 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

JPA wrote: »
    :rolleyes: says it all really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Morzadec wrote: »
    -If Xavi/Iniesta pairing gets in and say Essien (or another player who could play a defensive mid role) comes in a 3rd than I will put Essien in the next category as an option. Seems crazy but hear me out. You will be able to have the option then of picking Essien to fit in alongside Xavi and Iniesta, and then only have 2 of Ronaldo, Messi, Ribery, Gerrard, Kaka etc... in the team. So essentially by picking Essien in this scenario you will be voting for a slight shift to a more balanced formation. It will be almost like a formation change vote, pushing Iniesta further up the field with Essien slotting back, at the expense of one of Ronny, Messi, Kaka etc...

This way all of you who have been saying you would like to have Xavi, Iniesta and Essien all in the team will have the option, even if one misses out here.

TBH I think a lot of people aren't looking at the conversation about formation and who is going to be included in what poll. For example, there have been plenty of posts on here saying ''xavi and iniesta, I couldn't leave either of them out''. And if Essien ends up in the AM poll the same people will just say ''Essien wtf?'' and then go vote for Ronaldo, Kaka and Messi.

I think if we end up with an unbalanced pair like xavi and iniesta we should then have a poll on which one to keep and stick the other in the AM poll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Should be Xavi and Essien so I gave my second vote to Superman :D

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Should be Xavi and Essien so I gave my second vote to Superman :D

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

:confused:

Xavi was an obvious choice. The head said Essien but because he should be safe I went with the heart and voted for Ireland for the craic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Xavi Xavi Xavi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I took Essien and Iniesta.

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

I would imagine Iniesta is going to run Essien tight in the polls!

At least we'll know who gave Ireland that single vote, anywho. :P

Pro. F wrote: »
    I think if we end up with an unbalanced pair like xavi and iniesta we should then have a poll on which one to keep and stick the other in the AM poll.

I disagree, if Xavi & Iniesta are voted into the two CM spots then they deserve to be there.

If Xavi & Essien are voted into the CM spots then I see no reason why Iniesta shouldn't be allowed a crack at AM too, (or vice versa, swapping Xavi & Iniesta) as this is also a position he would be able to play in.
    Xavi6 wrote: »
    The head said Essien but because he should be safe I went with the heart and voted for Ireland for the craic.

Thats eddiehead to you, and when I say Essien you pick Essien! D'ya hear me!?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    I would imagine Iniesta is going to run Essien tight in the polls!

At least we'll know who gave Ireland that single vote, anywho. :P

not to ruin the surprise but ireland has actually taken 6 votes :eek:

have a feeling there might be a few abusing the multiple choice option...

have a feeling there might be a few abusing the multiple choice option...

Or their Soccer Mod privilages

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I took Essien and Iniesta.

what a midfield pairing!
    power and grace
    muscle and speed
    defensive awareness and creative passing

:) poetic stuff!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭yerayeah

Kirnsy wrote: »
    what a midfield pairing!
    power and grace
    muscle and speed
    defensive awareness and creative passing

:)poetic stuff!
    Exactly!! Even the names are alliterative:pac:

Can't wait to see the results for this poll, it's certainly going to be very very tight. I think we have a 3 way between Essien, Xavi and Iniesta, but any team with a pairing of any of these particular players would be mighty good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,434 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Gattuso was always gonna be my number 1 pick cause I'm kind of in love with the man, despite the fact that he missed a good few games this season ;)

For the second I probably could have picked Essien, but decided to keep it an all Milan affair and based on the formation went for the other member of the engine room in Pirlo.

The tough tackler and the perfect passer, lol :)

Neither are going to make any difference to overall scheme of things, so not too worried :)

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

I voted for Xavi and Iniesta, purely because they're the two best players on the list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭ChumpStain

Xavi/Essien - They'd compliment each others style of play so well if they did play together.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭spiderdan

Iniesta and Essien

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

eddiehead wrote: »
    I disagree, if Xavi & Iniesta are voted into the two CM spots then they deserve to be there.
    They could end up being the two with most votes even if nobody voted for both of them; even if everybody tried to pick a balanced pair.
    eddiehead wrote: »
    If Xavi & Essien are voted into the CM spots then I see no reason why Iniesta shouldn't be allowed a crack at AM too, (or vice versa, swapping Xavi & Iniesta) as this is also a position he would be able to play in.
    Yeah i've no problem with that. sure i suggested that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

So what catagorey would the likes of Ronaldinho,Kaka,Riquelme etc...fit into to? They can't be classed as wingers or strikers can they?

tdv wrote: »
    So what catagorey would the likes of Ronaldinho,Kaka,Riquelme etc...fit into to? They can't be classed as wingers or strikers can they?

Its a 4-2-3-1

All these above-mentioned players will fit into the '3' part of the formation. They're gonna be in with Ronaldo Messi Ribery etc... I felt it was too hard to pigeon-hole some of these players as just central or just wide men. Most of them are versatile enough to fit into any of these 3 slots so there will be 3 going in from a kind of big catagory of Wingers/Attacking-Mids/Playmakers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Essien and Prilo for me.

• Advertisement

Its a 4-2-3-1

All these above-mentioned players will fit into the '3' part of the formation. They're gonna be in with Ronaldo Messi Ribery etc... I felt it was too hard to pigeon-hole some of these players as just central or just wide men. Most of them are versatile enough to fit into any of these 3 slots so there will be 3 going in from a kind of big catagory of Wingers/Attacking-Mids/Playmakers.

Why not have a separate poll for the central player in the 3? Sure most of them are versatile but generally play mostly in the middle, Kaka, Diego, Gerrard etc.

I think the 2 wider players are nailed on, hardly worth the poll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Why not have a separate poll for the central player in the 3? Sure most of them are versatile but generally play mostly in the middle, Kaka, Diego, Gerrard etc.

I think the 2 wider players are nailed on, hardly worth the poll.

Tbh, you could have guessed the team before the poll, with only 1 or 2 positions up in the air.

titan18 wrote: »
    Tbh, you could have guessed the team before the poll, with only 1 or 2 positions up in the air.

Ya maybe so, I'm just interested to see if Gerrard gets into the team.

OK so our Centre Midfielders are...

Xavi

and....

Essien

Iniesta drove them close all the way, faded a bit at the end. For all of those dissapointed he didn't get in, he will be included in the next poll which will be up shortly.

Yes, the two I voted for!

Casillas
    Maicon----Ferd
    Vidic
    Evra

Xavi
    Essien

• Registered Users Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭slingerz

Essien had to get in. Absolute animal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭deisedude

Surprised Senna only got 2 votes.

Interesting poll.
    Ireland came 6th. :pac:

The 2 I voted for won anyway.

Yup I went for Xavi and Essien as well. I think they were good choices considering the players that are to come in front of them. A midfield playmaker/passer and a really athletic, strong ball-winner who can play a bit of ball as well

• Advertisement
Advertisement