Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Square tallaght introducing pay parking ??

Options
  • 03-07-2009 1:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

Looks like the Square in Tallaght are going to introduce pay parking. Drove through last night and the ticket machines are there in wooden boxes at all entrances to car parking.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Fcuk that!! Their revenue is down so they screw over the consumer???

Paid parking, in Tallaght, really...?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

I thought they couldnt introduce paid parking as a restriction on building the shopping center was that local businesses could park there free of charge.

Tbh they have been trying to do this for about 6-7 years

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Some shopping centers have those meters and gates which give you a ticket on the way in. You get around 2 hours free parking and pay for the excess.
    They probably are going to use a similar system ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

If it's free for 2 hours, or they introduce a validation system (i.e. any of the shops can validate your parking if you make a purchase), then it's probably fair enough. I'd say that car park is abused a lot by people getting the Luas etc., it's usually packed.

If it's just straight up hourly payments, they are shooting themselves in the foot. Liffey Valley and Dundrum are only about 15 minutes away each, and you could easily argue they're better.

I live near the Square and use it regularly, but if straight up payment for parking comes in, it is just as handy for me to go to Dundrum down the M50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

vectra wrote: »
    Some shopping centers have those meters and gates which give you a ticket on the way in. You get around 2 hours free parking and pay for the excess.

Sounds plausible - IIRC, there are signs up saying you should only park for 2 hours anyway. Probably in to prevent park-and-riders for the Luas. There used to be guys at the entrances in the mornings asking your business, presumably to dissuade park-and-riders - those guys (usually foreigners) will be out of a job now!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 WarrenB

vectra wrote: »

I wouldnt be too sure about that. Greed will get the better of them and they will charge per hour.

This is what it will pay for and the rest will be pocketed to plug their funds gap :confused:
    http://www.thesquare.ie/pages/transformation.html

Take a look at the before and after pic here of the "new" mall. Its hilarious
    http://www.thesquare.ie/pages/transformation_mall.html

Basically what they are going to do is turn on more lights, and stick a few trendy looking people in there to walk around. Classic :D

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭irishthump

WarrenB wrote: »
    Basically what they are going to do is turn on more lights, and stick a few trendy looking people in there to walk around. Classic :D

Oh, and don't forget polishing the floor....

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

irishthump wrote: »
    Oh, and don't forget polishing the floor....

And those polystyrene circle things on the ceiling! :pac: I'd say they're a costly addition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

I will never visit the Square again if I have to pay to park there. There's damn all in it as it is. Bus to town, or drive to Liffey Valley for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭JohnC.

WarrenB wrote: »
    Take a look at the before and after pic here of the "new" mall. Its hilarious
    http://www.thesquare.ie/pages/transformation_mall.html

The after shot has Zavvi. Did nobody tell them?;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

What a way to boost sales. People can't afford to go shopping as much because they don't have as much cash.

Solution? Let's charge them money to get to the shops before they even buy anything.

Yes, congrats, Ireland has done it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

This is rediculous and people only have themselves to blame.

Every day in the square I see:

Cars parked ALL the way along the double yellow lines (illegal of course) blocking up one of the 2 lanes meant to be there

Cars parked along the deicated walkway by f*cking idiots who think it's a space. People can't get by with buggies / trollies

People parking on the path outside the shops across the road from the multistory (manpower i think is there) That's highly illegal and I know because I got fined for it and won't be doing it again (lesson learned)

And to top it all off, every time I see this there's ample spaces in the multistory. It's just lazy ****es that won't go into the multstory to park. Nothing more to it

Therfore it has added to the daily cost of running / monitoring the car park keeping clowns like this from parking illegaly and therefore the cost had to be eventually passed down to the users

So a big round of applause to those of you who parked all over the place Hope you're happy now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

I noticed this a few weeks ago. For the last while, they have had big neon lights trying to attract cars to park from Shamrock Rovers across the road. Do they see a cash cow?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Random wrote: »
    What a way to boost sales. People can't afford to go shopping as much because they don't have as much cash.

Solution? Let's charge them money to get to the shops before they even buy anything.

Yes, congrats, Ireland has done it again.

Blackpool in Cork has had it since Day 1 but allows 3hours (or so) free parking which is plenty time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

parsi wrote: »
    Blackpool in Cork has had it since Day 1 but allows 3hours (or so) free parking which is plenty time.
    Day 1? Fine. But introducing it to improve profits? Come off of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,078 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Being in North Kerry, I've only visited The Square a couple of times over the years, but as in other shopping centres, like the Crescent in Limerick, all of the rents paid include service charges and all kinds of things, one of which would be a contribution towards the maintenance of car-parking facilities.

Perhaps some of the tenants have been putting the squeeze on the Tallaght management to pay reduced rents, thereby the management trying to recoup their losses by stupidly biting the hand that feeds i.e. charging the hard-pressed shopper to park his car.

If those idiots, and those other countless local-authority idiots around the country, weren't trying to get some easy money, a lot of people wouldn't be staying away from these places. They haven't got a clue, any of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

I'll say the main reason they are introducing the are introducing pay parking is to stop people parking there for the Day to take the Luas, staff from the council and maybe people from the apartments in the area, last time I was there early in the morning they had security staff asking people where they are going.

They couldn't charge much, parking in the M&S and Aldi car parks is €1 per hour (2 hours free if you buy in their shops) and €4 for a full day

The parking around Smyths Toys in Tallaght is been pay parking for years (20 min free) and they don't even validate tickets in you shop there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

nava wrote: »
    I'll say the main reason they are introducing the are introducing pay parking is to stop people parking there for the Day to take the Luas, staff from the council and maybe people from the apartments in the area, last time I was there early in the morning they had security staff asking people where they are going.

They couldn't charge much, parking in the M&S and Aldi car parks is €1 per hour (2 hours free if you buy in their shops) and €4 for a full day

The parking around Smyths Toys in Tallaght is been pay parking for years (20 min free) and they don't even validate tickets in you shop there.

I noticed around by Smyths recently they had changed the parking signs to pay all the time. Last time I was there they had big new stickers up saying 30min free.
    Can't see the Square charging for the 1st 2 hours and after that they can't charge too much as you've said most places around are cheap. I'd say it's to get rid of Luas people or at least make some money off them.
    But if they do start charging I won't be going back, nearly every shop they have can be found close by with free parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,431 ✭✭✭✭Victor

spockety wrote: »
    I live near the Square and use it regularly, but if straight up payment for parking comes in, it is just as handy for me to go to Dundrum down the M50.
    It might be a nicer shopping centre, but they also charge for parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭grundie

I was speaking to one of the security guards at the square (Sq.?) and he tells me it because of the park and ride folks. They did surveys and found that at certain times something like 40% of the people who parked in the car park weren't actually using the centre.

It's the same at weekends, in many cases people who legitimately want to use the centre can't find parking.

The pricing scheme isn't yet finalised but it's probably going to be a 2hr free + pay the extra scheme.

They've had people go to the centre management office and rant about how they will have to pay to park and ride from now on as well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

grundie wrote: »
    They've had people go to the centre management office and rant about how they will have to pay to park and ride from now on as well.
    I'd love to take such a rant and simply serenly smile and say in my best Mr Burns voice "Excellent..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

imo they should just have it as 3 hours max, and any longer you get clamped, that would get rid of the luas gang

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Pay for parking to go into a shopping centre full of skangers? No thanks.

I'll stick to either Nutgrove or Rathfarnham shopping centres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

spockety wrote: »
    If it's just straight up hourly payments, they are shooting themselves in the foot. Liffey Valley and Dundrum are only about 15 minutes away each, and you could easily argue they're better.
    Dundrum charges motorcyclists for parking with the exception of couriers doing drop offs.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

Max_Damage wrote: »
    Pay for parking to go into a shopping centre full of skangers? No thanks.

I'll stick to either Nutgrove or Rathfarnham shopping centres.

And they dont have skangers either????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

bcirl03 wrote: »
    And they dont have skangers either????

Of course they do silly...just a better class of skanger...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

Sids Not wrote: »
    Of course they do silly...just a better class of skanger...;)

Posh skangers - I like it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Dundrum charges motorcyclists for parking with the exception of couriers doing drop offs.

How do they do it? Are the barriers so long they block the whole entrance? Been there but just can't remember. That is ridiculous, motos should be free and have their own set aside area to keep the cages away!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

How do they do it? Are the barriers so long they block the whole entrance? Been there but just can't remember. That is ridiculous, motos should be free and have their own set aside area to keep the cages away!
    Two years ago they guys at each barrier stopping bikes from sneaking through. I argued with the bloke and said it would be my last time and it was. Not sure with the policy now, hopefully with the recession these guys are let go. Alternitivly you can park bikes near the Luas stop and walk up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

grundie wrote: »

Frikin' freeloaders! Good enough for them, lets hope they frik off from the area and start using the Red Cow instead. I work at the IT nearby, and there were serious problems with them coming into our place as well, as if it wasn't bad enough trying to get parking space with nearly every student having their own cars as well.

Advertisement