Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Square tallaght introducing pay parking ??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

People dont see how common this is. The only remaining free carparks now are blanch and Liffey Valley; both have plenty of space and lots of shops to pay rent. The square will most likely go along the route of charging miniscule amounts for hours 3, 4 and 5 and then introduce big bucks charges after 5 hours so people can't park all day.

For example: The pavilions in swords charges nothing for 2 hours, €1 for the third hour, €2 for two extra hours, a fiver for five hours and then it goes up exponentially to about €20 after 8 hours. Makes sense. All you gotta do if youre going to shop till you literally drop is move your car once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭CyrildoSquirrel

Hi there, it's me, one of the guys who used to have to ask you "What is the purpose of your visit to the square". (The good-looking one :p)

The purpose of the paid parking is to either get rid of the Luas users or to profit from them, and when I was there the talk was of 3 hours of free parking before an hourly charge kicks in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

bcirl03 wrote: »
    Posh skangers - I like it :)

Yeah, they get their nanny's to push the pram for them......:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Got a leaflet yesterday getting to the square about the new charges, they will start from 1st of Sept below is a copy of it. They give 1st 15 min free.

Also noticed at the entrance to the Super Value carpark that they have the charges, €1 per hour to a max €3 per day, M&S and Aldi carpark are only to a max of €4 per day.

image0g.th.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

nava wrote: »
    Got a leaflet yesterday getting to the square about the new charges, they will start from 1st of Sept below is a copy of it. They give 1st 15 min free.

Also noticed at the entrance to the Super Value carpark that they have the charges, €1 per hour to a max €3 per day, M&S and Aldi carpark are only to a max of €4 per day.

image0g.th.jpg

I can see a lot of the smaller shops loosing out with this. I'd sometimes stop off in the Square to pick up something from a different store to those listed, but if I have to spend €1 to do that they can keep it. And I'd say a lot of people would be the same.

How long before the go 1hour free?

Edit...

Just noticed also that if you spend €15 in the shops you get free parking, but in the same sentence they say you get 3 hours free. People definately won't be happy if they spend the amount in the shops and then still have to pay.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

I saw a big explanatory sign outside the cinema the other night.

The first couple of hours will be one euro, but the fee is waived if you spend fifteen euro in either, Dunnes, Tesco or Debenhams. If you go to the cinema, there is no charge whatsoever.

The smaller shops will loose out on this. If I want to go to BurgerKing or Eddie Rockets, I will not pay for parking. I will go to the drive through BK or Citywest for ER.

Same as if I need to go to Easons, I will not pay. I will go to Liffey Valley, even though I dont like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭WillieCocker

This was a long time coming for the Square car parks.
    Hopefully it will cut down on the amount of pieces of **** parked beside you that almost always end up dinking the door of your car.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

I'd have to echo some of the sentiment posted here about people parking illegally and secondly the Luas people abusing the privelige of a free car park. It really pisses me off to see the amount of cars illegally parked on double yellow lines, I'd love to see them getting clamped.
    For the record, the maximum stay in the Square car park is three hours.
    My feeling is that the main reason for the charges being brought in is the Luas parking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭bungler

WarrenB wrote: »
    I wouldnt be too sure about that. Greed will get the better of them and they will charge per hour.

This is what it will pay for and the rest will be pocketed to plug their funds gap :confused:
    http://www.thesquare.ie/pages/transformation.html

Take a look at the before and after pic here of the "new" mall. Its hilarious
    http://www.thesquare.ie/pages/transformation_mall.html

Basically what they are going to do is turn on more lights, and stick a few trendy looking people in there to walk around. Classic :D

where's the prams?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

bungler wrote: »
    where's the prams?

+1 :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Appleguy

****ing beige idea if ever i heard one.

Cant get people into the shops anymore and now theyre going to start charging you to go there.

Stupid ****ers, well never going to the square again. Liffey Valley is only an exit or two down. I'll do all my shopping there. Has everything the square has and more.

I feel sorry for the staff who will more than likely have to pay the €15 a week to park their car there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

About time they had some control on their carpark.

For the few times I go to the square I'm am sick of spending 20minutes trying to find a parking space and even then having to walk for 10mins to get to the store i want to go to.

By getting rid of all the luas & local office free loaders I might be able to find a space quickly and closer to the store I want to go to. - Easily worth a euro!

For the few people they will lose to the parking charges, the additional customers they will gain by have a far better parking system will be worth it.

BTW - Liffey Valley will have to introduce parking charges as part of the planning consent for their extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,985 ✭✭✭kirving

The Square will also make a fair bit from people going to Shamrock Rovers matches, they probably realised how much they could make from matchgoers(and luas) and thought it was finally the time to install the barriers.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭big syke

Appleguy wrote: »
    ****ing beige idea if ever i heard one.

Cant get people into the shops anymore and now theyre going to start charging you to go there.

Stupid ****ers, well never going to the square again. Liffey Valley is only an exit or two down. I'll do all my shopping there. Has everything the square has and more.

I feel sorry for the staff who will more than likely have to pay the €15 a week to park their car there.

Theres a staff car park on the top level holds about 100 or so cars. its the free loaders who ruined it for everybody parking there 5 days a week for 9 or ten hours. Good enough for them. i do shopping every week in dunnes i will be happy to get my ticket validated so i can finally get a parking space. Its a disgrace that you should have to wait 30-40 min for a space on a tuesday morning.

big syke wrote: »
    Its the free loaders who ruined it for everybody. Good enough for them. i do shopping every week in dunnes i will be happy to get my ticket validated so i can finally get a parking space. Its a disgrace that you should have to wait 30-40 min for a space on a tuesday morning.

Your missing the point there though. I agree its the freeloaders who ruined it but i'm no freeloader and its ruined for me too, and i'm sure many others.
    Fine this might suit people who shop in Dunnes, Tesco or the other stores which can validate your ticket but what about the people who shop in the smaller shops?

I go up there and would often spend a couple of hundred on clothes and in HMV and maybe Dixons that without even thinking about it.
    But i go to my local Dunnes for shopping. Why should i have to pay for parking when i'm spending €100's?
    I'm shopping in the Square amnt i, just like everybody else.

Its the smaller shops who will pay for it in the end. Fine they needed to implement something but went the wrong way about it in my opinion.
    I would be content if they said right if you spend a tenner anywhere in the square your parking is free.

On the positive side Dunnes in Kilnamanagh is in for a treat!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Appleguy wrote: »
    Your missing the point there though. I agree its the freeloaders who ruined it but i'm no freeloader and its ruined for me too, and i'm sure many others.
    Fine this might suit people who shop in Dunnes, Tesco or the other stores which can validate your ticket but what about the people who shop in the smaller shops?

I go up there and would often spend a couple of hundred on clothes and in HMV and maybe Dixons that without even thinking about it.
    But i go to my local Dunnes for shopping. Why should i have to pay for parking when i'm spending €100's?
    I'm shopping in the Square amnt i, just like everybody else.

Its the smaller shops who will pay for it in the end. Fine they needed to implement something but went the wrong way about it in my opinion.
    I would be content if they said right if you spend a tenner anywhere in the square your parking is free.

Have to agree with this, many a time I'd drop up to the Square to buy something in a shop other then the validating shops. I won't be going there from Tuesday to buy anything in the other shops if I have to pay a Euro for the pleaseure.

On the flyer it says any purchase in UCI will validate a ticket. Could you get a sweet from the pic and mix and get your parking validated?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

Del2005 wrote: »
    Have to agree with this, many a time I'd drop up to the Square to buy something in a shop other then the validating shops. I won't be going there from Tuesday to buy anything in the other shops if I have to pay a Euro for the pleaseure.

On the flyer it says any purchase in UCI will validate a ticket. Could you get a sweet from the pic and mix and get your parking validated?

I hope they learn the lesson very quickly to include any shop in the free parking agreement.

There should have invested in a few machine on each floor that you can validate your own parking ticket once you have a receipt for over €10 from any shop.

I won't be going to the SQ (:D) anymore but i can picture the scene already...

30 people in the queue in dunnes stores, 4 with purchases, 26 waiting to have their parking tickets validated with one employee struggling with the only validating machine.

How long you reckon the 4 will wait?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

They should have made it at least an hour free. That would keep out the people parking for the Luas, but still allow most people enough time to get their shopping done. They also need to have any store validate the parking ticket as long as a minimum spend is met.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭tall chapy

If it was freeloaders who ruined it, why did they not give 1 or 2 hours free parking. I was told about this years ago. Having said that I thought they would never introduce it. This was done to take advantage of the Luas riders and drag business & people away from the offical park and ride which I think is dearer per day.

• Advertisement

Hey guys,

Things have changed. I was up there yesterday.

0 - 1 hour Free
    1 - 2 hours €1
    2 - 3 hours €2

Seems like they have a chance of making it successful now.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭ash2020

In Longford there is a town center with the tesco and all the usual suspects of newsagents, lifestyle sports, pennys, hair dressers and a car managment system charging by the hour!
    *Guess what No Luas Down Here,, just loads of people needing to do their shopping so that park and ride story is only an exuse to cover up the big profit*

If each parking space got used for 12 hours at a rate of 1euro p/hr thats 12euro for that day., now multiply that by 3,000 car spaces that the square claims to have. 12x3000 = 36,000 - Thirthy six thousand euro's per day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭JohnC.

The first hour is free, so many (most?) won't be paying anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Sorry as bit off topic

What about people going by a car to the social welfare local office ,Tax office ,Post office and etc . I mean surely most of them will spend more than an hour in the queue to get service . What will happen if they don't want to do any shopping? Obviously i'ts not their fault that the facilities above were placed in
    The Square in the first place.Will they be excluded from paying the parking fee?
    Thanks for reading:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭UnderpantsGnome

What about people going by a car to the social welfare local office ,Tax office ,Post office and etc .

These peole will have to pay. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Messed Up Mind

Think I'll be cycling to The Square and welfare office from now on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭CyrildoSquirrel

in the square today and i cannot tell you how refreshing it was to get a space without any hassle at all.

i was there for 3 hours and it cost me 1 euro,a small price to pay for getting that space

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

darc wrote: »

For the few times I go to the square I'm am sick of spending 20minutes trying to find a parking space and even then having to walk for 10mins to get to the store i want to go to.

big syke wrote: »
    Its a disgrace that you should have to wait 30-40 min for a space on a tuesday morning.

Is it a particular space you wait for? There's a big empty multi-storey car park just beside the entrance, why not use it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

much better. Thats fair. I don't mind paying if i go shopping but if i pop into easons or vodafone, i would not pay. This is much better !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Steo46

I haven't shopped in the Square since they introduced the parking fee. Free parking in Kilnamanagh and Aldi. You also save lots of money.

Advertisement