Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sold car but I still own it??

• 03-07-2009 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

I recently sold a car. The engine was on the way out but the chap didn't care as he only wanted it for a few days.
    I couldn't find the log book so we filled in one of those old change of ownership forms and I sent it of to the Dept of Transport.
    A few weeks later the form came back to be with a letter stating that I needed to get a replacement log book as the old change of ownership form wouldn't do.
    I rang the chap who bought it and he said that the engine packed up and he gave it to a few lads for parts.
    I told him the car was still in my name and I was getting a log book so it could be put into his name.
    I now have they log book in my name and this guy must have changed his number and cant be found.
    Where do I go from here as I cant be sure the car is even scrapped?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

regester it as off the road

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Buffman

mark1974 wrote: »
    I now have they log book in my name and this guy must have changed his number and cant be found.
    Where do I go from here as I cant be sure the car is even scrapped?:confused:

If you have his name and address just fill in the form and send it off.
    If you don't have these, there's not much you can do.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles or cartons to avoid the DRS fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭darcy.jonny

try and get it registered into his name if you still have the details .

you cannot be guaranteed that it is of the road so ......

toll fees , fines , penalty points , speeding etc and tax renewal , if the car is abandoned and left somewhere the towing charges , and there is probably more stuff will all be on your head . its the reason why we fill out these forms and the seller sends them off .

ild contact citizens adive if i were you , even the local tax office and tell them the car has nothing to do with you just in case

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭mark1974

I still have the original form he signed with his details but would he need to sign the new one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭darcy.jonny

yea he should sign it ........... but honestly just sign his name urself .......... i know its wrong but how would they know ? he signed the orignal anyway so he was prepared to take ownership ......... its really your call ..... youve two choices sign his name .......... or face the unknown

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 sidecar

Nearly the exact same thing happened a mate of mine last summer. Sold a car to a lad for cash but didnt have the log book and got the tun around from the dimwits in Shannon. He made up a foreign sounding name and picked an address down in the bog and sent off the form, all sorted adn no more hastle from the toll bridge crowd!

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭mark1974

yea he should sign it ........... but honestly just sign his name urself .......... i know its wrong but how would they know ? he signed the orignal anyway so he was prepared to take ownership ......... its really your call ..... youve two choices sign his name .......... or face the unknown
    sidecar wrote: »
    Nearly the exact same thing happened a mate of mine last summer. Sold a car to a lad for cash but didnt have the log book and got the tun around from the dimwits in Shannon. He made up a foreign sounding name and picked an address down in the bog and sent off the form, all sorted adn no more hastle from the toll bridge crowd!

Thanks guys, I have thought of doing both of these.:cool:
    Looks like the only option.
    Welcome to boards sidecar:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

What happens if you sell a car to a dealer, he won't want it in his name what happens then?

Advertisement