Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Er excuse me?!!!!!!!

Options
  • 03-07-2009 1:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭

Was shopping last night... man bag, check, shoes check, books check....... noticed ann summers had a sale so I had a wander in.... all the sale stuff was not my style ...... was looking at a few other bits and picked up a nice black skirt that you wear with suspenders ....... was looking at sizes small or medium hmmmmm then all of a sudden a sales lady swoops in 'hold on a sec hun, i'll see if they have any larges for you' and walks off towards the back.

................................. right.

it would be a bit more polite to say 'do you need a hand' etc not just decide im looking for a large and go and get me one!!!

so anyways she comes back and trys to hand me to the large, i said 'i think im ok thanks im just gonna try these 2 on' she says 'are you sure?' i smile and walk into the fitting rooms.

so decide on the small... pick up a top which is a medium coz i have bigish boobies.... get the to the till she is there.

i put my stuff up and she makes this face at me and shouts to her friend, 'this girl is trying to get a small, dont you think she would be much better in a large?'

this point im just mad and demand to see the manager..... o guess what she is the bloody manager!!!

online shopping in future!!!!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

you're excused!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

This wrote: »
    Was shopping last night... man bag, check, shoes check, books check....... noticed ann summers had a sale so I had a wander in.... all the sale stuff was not my style ...... was looking at a few other bits and picked up a nice black skirt that you wear with suspenders ....... was looking at sizes small or medium hmmmmm then all of a sudden a sales lady swoops in 'hold on a sec hun, i'll see if they have any larges for you' and walks off towards the back.

................................. right.

it would be a bit more polite to say 'do you need a hand' etc not just decide im looking for a large and go and get me one!!!

so anyways she comes back and trys to hand me to the large, i said 'i think im ok thanks im just gonna try these 2 on' she says 'are you sure?' i smile and walk into the fitting rooms.

so decide on the small... pick up a top which is a medium coz i have bigish boobies.... get the to the till she is there.

i put my stuff up and she makes this face at me and shouts to her friend, 'this girl is trying to get a small, dont you think she would be much better in a large?'

this point im just mad and demand to see the manager..... o guess what she is the bloody manager!!!

online shopping in future!!!!!!!

:eek: And you didn't SAY anything to her? There is no possible way I could stop myself from saying something devastatingly cutting to her in that situation!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Worst salesperson EVER.

If I were female and any salesperson presumed to know my sizes better than me, I don't think I wouldn't be too happy.

I think it's odd you didn't just leave after her rude introduction. How did she know you were definitely buying?

With sales tactics like that, who needs to hire mediocre employees.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

well no actually alot of consumers wouldn't know their own sizes best, and maybe you looked like a large. The fact that you got so sensitive about it kinda lends weight to the managers point as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭ohthebaby

If you felt uncomfortable I'd write a letter to Ann Summers headquarters.

Include her name if you got it too.

There's no need for behaviour like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

well no actually alot of consumers wouldn't know their own sizes best, and maybe you looked like a large.

Beside the point unless you ask for assistance.
    The fact that you got so sensitive about it kinda lends weight to the managers point as well.

Does it? So you can only really be offended by an insult if it's true?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I think it says alot about you that you consider the suggestion you would need a large sized item to be an insult.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

I think it says alot about you that you consider the suggestion you would need a large sized item to be an insult.

Not sure if you are a man or a woman but I'm pretty sure most girls I know would be offended if someone told them three times they are a large size.

For me, it would just be annoying if they kept saying I was choosing the wrong size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭stiff kitten

god...how rude!

i mean you could have been picking up something that you're skinny friend was thinking about getting when ye were shopping in there before and asked you to buy it...

just because you pick up something small doesn't mean anyone should presume its for you.. sounds really unprofessional to come to over and advise you to go for a large....

i would've tried on lots of stuff in the shop in anger and left everything in a mess for her to hang up again! :D

the joys of the customer! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭chickenhawk

That's bull! If someone implied I needed something two sizes to big for me then i'd be annoyed especially if I didn't ask for help in the first place. I keep myself in good shape and if I went into a shop and someone insulted me by shouting across the shop to a friend of theirs that they think I am bigger then I know I am then I'd have a serious problem with them. All that says about me is that I won't let some tool behind a counter who's have a bad day treat me like crap.

But I'm a guy so we get left alone in shops by staff thank god!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Sharlovesjohn

the op was comfortable with the smaller size?
    Id be quite hurt if someone (i didnt know) suggested I needed to go up 2 sizes in something i felt comfortable in fact is manager didn't even suggest it
    Ive been measured in there twice wrongly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

That manager was way out of line. The shouting across at her colleague was quite bad as well.

I think you should write a letter of complaint. If nothing more, it'll make you feel better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭MelanieC

Did you end up buying it? I would've thrown it in her condescending face. She has no right to humiliate and judge you like that. I think you should definitely write an outraged letter, can't do any harm anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

Yay letter of complaint!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

What a supercow!!!

I'd say she was having a bad day about herself and was jealous cause you looked nice!

Or maybe she has no one to buy nice undies for!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

amaze's me though that she acted like that, considering now when you walk into the likes of the make up place's in arrontts they are pratically falling over ya, and beinging nothing but nice, i never got that before!

This wrote: »

That woman is an oaf.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

If it was me I'd have told her where to go, dropped the stuff on the counter and walked out. I hate rude shop assistants, and the fact that she was a manager makes it all the worse.

A letter of complaint is a good idea. Send it to both the store in question, though I doubt you'll hear back from either.

Would you consider returning the stuff, telling them that it didn't fit and you actually need the next size down?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭This

yes your right. ive been crying for the past 24 hours because someone thinks im a large..... god how will i go on??????

I am not offended/insulted/upset because she thought I was large.
    I am pissed off because of her manner. she was arrogant and rude.
    If she was trying to make me buy a smaller size when I was larger Id be equally as pissed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭Ollchailin

Was in a shop in Kilkenny today and was looking at a dress- the shop assistant comes over saying "oh that's lovely, it'd hide all your lumps and bumps"....... eh, thanks missus!!

I know I'm a size 14 and not a size 10 like her, but Jaysus, do some people have any tact?? I honestly think some people have nothin goin on upstairs- could she not have said "oh, I've tried that dress too, it's really flattering on", or something a bit more professional like that?

So OP, I can sympathise- I wasn't looking for any assistance either, and Ms. Thicko McBigMouth comes waltzing over with her "helpful comment" (not). Feck off and leave us alone!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

Not sure if you are a man or a woman but I'm pretty sure most girls I know would be offended if someone told them three times they are a large size.

For me, it would just be annoying if they kept saying I was choosing the wrong size

+1.
    I love the Wolford tights which although expensive are wonderful and last forever and when I was away on holidays I spotted a Wolford shop. As with almost everything else they are way cheaper abroad than they are here so in I went with my cash at the ready. Sales girl arrived up and asked if she could help. I told her what I wanted and that I wanted them in a large. She looked at me and said "no, not large". I laughed and said that it was for the length rather than the width and that the longer ones tended not to have a hole after my big toe poked through. Again she said no, I was taken aback at this and turned the pack over and pointed that large was for anyone 5' 8" tall and over and said that I was 5' 8". She stood back and said "no you're not" !
    This went on for a while until I realised that it was a crazy situation, I've been 5' 8" for years now and couldn't understand why my height was such an issue for this woman. In the end I handed the tights back to her and walked out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Worst salesperson EVER.

If I were female and any salesperson presumed to know my sizes better than me, I don't think I wouldn't be too happy.

I think it's odd you didn't just leave after her rude introduction. How did she know you were definitely buying?

With sales tactics like that, who needs to hire mediocre employees.

actuly i can say that sales people can size people up better then them selves in booth women and men....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

maybe you looked like a large.

A size large in a lot of that designer gear is only around a 10-12. Not sure if "designer" is the right word for Ann Summers but you'll understand what I mean. Some of that stuff is designed to fit 15 year olds who are a size 6. If you have any curves at all she might have been right about the bigger size.

She shouldn't have said it though, unless you asked for advice. The "those are a really small fit, most people need a bigger than usual size, do you want to take both sizes to the changing room just in case?" line would have been better.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Lorrs33

What a bitch! I don't think I'll be shopping in there again. The only comment made to me so far from a sales girl was "they always come back", as my friend and I were there earlier and decided to return later once we'd done some shopping. Didn't find it snotty, but what she said to you certainly was! You should write a letter of complaint! She answers to someone!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

I really don't see the point in coming on here bitching about it, you should have said something at the time, she can't know she's tactless unless someone tells her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

I really don't see the point in coming on here bitching about it, you should have said something at the time, she can't know she's tactless unless someone tells her.
    she did ask to speak to the manager!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

Yeah but she didn't make a complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Complain to who? the manager?

OP that was such a bitchy thing for her to do, some people have serious attitude problems and should not be working in retail!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Corb

Complain to the shop then, there's someone above the manager. I don't think Ann Summers the company would be too happy with her attitude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Corb wrote: »
    Complain to the shop then, there's someone above the manager. I don't think Ann Summers the company would be too happy with her attitude.
    Oh she should definitely complain to the company, but she couldn't exactly complain in the shop. I doubt the manager would do anything with a complaint about herself :pac:

Advertisement