Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VRT or extra taxes

• 03-07-2009 1:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭

Here we go, who would rather pay vrt or pay extra road tax, income tax or fuel tax.

I would choose fuel tax.

The car industry may survive if vrt was scrapped. Its a bit rich of the state to expect you to pay it all upfront, not even offering a payplan such as monthly etc.

We are all mugs in this country including me paying it to the dumb twats in the dail.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

Is there a taxation forum where this could be discussed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

mcwhirter wrote: »
    Here we go, who would rather pay vrt or pay extra road tax, income tax or fuel tax.

I would choose fuel tax.

The car industry may survive if vrt was scrapped. Its a bit rich of the state to expect you to pay it all upfront, not even offering a payplan such as monthly etc.

We are all mugs in this country including me paying it to the dumb twats in the dail.

If you were to pay it back in fuel tax, how are you and you alone going to be singled out from everyone else and stop people who bough irish cars and dont have to pay VRT, having to pay your tax instead?

Im confused to how you think that the Irish car market would flourish if VRT was scrapped, seeing as more cars would be brought into the country causing less cars to be bought here..

I by no means agree with VRT but the way you are suggesting to dispose of simply wouldnt work, I think there will be a big reduction in imports of post 2004 cars anyway seeing as the clocks are in Miles instead ok km.
    I know the majority of cars are in both, however some are miles only such as a Passat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

Surely if vrt was scrapped, more cars would be bought here, as cars are cheaper here than uk pre vrt.

BTW, vrt is also charged for cars bought here too, that is also reflected in the higher cost of 2nd hand cars.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

None of the above. I'm paying too much already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

what would you prefer - herpes or gonorrhea?

I certainly would not pay more fuel tax - excise duty is already sky high and that's before the floating VAT rate. I am forced to drive long distances to work because of a p*ss poor public transport system and the lack of infrastructure in rural areas limits the work opportunities available. Asking me to pay more fuel tax would be penalising me for the failure of successive irish governments.

I wouldn't be against increased road tax if it was spent on the bloody roads in the first place but it's a kick in the nuts handing over €890 each year for the pleasure of having my alloys buckled. Every other country in Europe can survive without VRT - i don't see why we have to be different and i certainly don't see why we would have to replace it with something else

• Advertisement

mcwhirter wrote: »
    Surely if vrt was scrapped, more cars would be bought here, as cars are cheaper here than uk pre vrt.

BTW, vrt is also charged for cars bought here too, that is also reflected in the higher cost of 2nd hand cars.

It might bring down the price of a new car, but who is going to take the brunt in the second hand car market? Noone would buy a second hand car that is Irish because it could be got for cheaper across the water.

I agree that it needs to be gotten rid of completely but raising road tax (which is already sky high compared to other countys eg England, France) or fuel tax is defiantly not a solution.

Also off topic, i think its about time we brought in the poilcy of Insuring the car to be driven rather than insuring the driver to drive it.

EDIT: Road tax England

Road Tax France <--none!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Long Onion wrote: »
    Every other country in Europe can survive without VRT ..
    Errm, wrong! Both the Netherlands and Denmark have something similar, just called something else.

Alun wrote: »
    Long Onion wrote: »
    Every other country in Europe can survive without VRT - i don't see why we have to be different
    Errm, wrong! Both the Netherlands and Denmark have something similar, just called something else.

From Wiki
    Similar taxes are in place are the Netherlands which has the BPM (Belasting Personenauto’s Motorrijwielen) tax . This tax is 45% of the selling price of the car and gives a discount or punishment based on the CO2 emission. The tax is supposed to disappear by 2018, but the government has said it would introduce a similar tax but then solely based on CO2 emissions.

Finland also operates a system which charges a separate vehicle tax in addition to VAT. This system has also attracted controversy [1]

Advertisement