Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Documentary

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Public Health Warning

Documentary Contains the word "Barstooler"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

LOI fans have an obsession with "barstoolers". I personally love "barstooling". More fun than watching CCFC anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

All LoI fans also are barstoolers. It's a question of degree.

Excellent video BTW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Good viewing that.

Glad they didn't try to pass off the league as having no problems and that they addressed that fans saving clubs from demise repeatedly is just not viable.

Has anyone who lives locally to a club had anything through their door or seen a CPO around "spreading the word" as it were?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭paulcorr

not what i expected the one club not mentioned is the model for the rest of the league .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Mr Maroon

paulcorr wrote: »
    not what i expected the one club not mentioned is the model for the rest of the league .
    There's more than one club not mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Nice one OP. I enjoyed that.

Although I was getting worried for a minute. I thought you wouldn't wheel on a Beard to give the anthropological/physiological low-down re: the nose on his face, but there he was. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

Excellent stuff, would love to see the grounds full again for league games.

Mr Maroon wrote: »
    There's more than one club not mentioned.

well what i ment is the ONE club not mentioned is the model for the rest of the league. i know there were more than one club not mentioned . but shamrock rovers were not spoken of at all a club saved by its supporters not by 2 children selling there toys ..god i nearly cried but fair play it is good to see that people still care about there local clubs and for young lads of there age to care so much is only a good thing .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,960 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

well what i ment is the ONE club not mentioned is the model for the rest of the league. i know there were more than one club not mentioned . but shamrock rovers were not spoken of at all a club saved by its supporters not by 2 children selling there toys ..god i nearly cried

You were saved by a judge.

• Advertisement

Zebra3 wrote: »
    You were saved by a judge.
    we were saved by the fans who coughed up the money to take over the club. who is going to save bohs who is going to save cork.AND TELL ME HOW WE WERE SAVED BY A JUDGE??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

we were saved by the fans who coughed up the money to take over the club. who is going to save bohs who is going to save cork.AND TELL ME HOW WE WERE SAVED BY A JUDGE??

A judge wiped your slate clean so you's could start again, yes it's legal but hardly the "model" club.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

A judge wiped your slate clean so you's could start again, yes it's legal but hardly the "model" club.:rolleyes:

Ehh they are, get your debts wiped, fans take over the club = get free stadium. Proclaim your selves bestest club in the multiverse.

We have all been trying to do that for years, reckon Cork will finally crack it this year.

So tell me who is the model club in the league of ire shels who were relegated like us bohs who are in troube wit the tax man cork who havent payed ther wages in 2 months derry who owe a fortune to . Or shamrock rovers taken over by the fans run by the fans saved by the fans not a judge as you say sell out crowds every home game.finacially stable building for the future 2400 season ticket holders . Most clubs dont even get half that at there games. shels are trying something similar to rovers and i hope it works because un like most league of ire fans who are jealous of what rovers have done . I want to see bohs cork derry and shels all back to were they should , I WANT A LEAGUE OF IRE DO YOU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Since when are Bohs in trouble with the tax man, mustve missed that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,960 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

So tell me who is the model club in the league of ire shels who were relegated like us bohs who are in troube wit the tax man cork who havent payed ther wages in 2 months derry who owe a fortune to . Or shamrock rovers taken over by the fans run by the fans saved by the fans not a judge as you say sell out crowds every home game.finacially stable building for the future 2400 season ticket holders . Most clubs dont even get half that at there games. shels are trying something similar to rovers and i hope it works because un like most league of ire fans who are jealous of what rovers have done . I want to see bohs cork derry and shels all back to were they should , I WANT A LEAGUE OF IRE DO YOU.

Shamrock were saved by a judge. It was him (or her) that told those owed huge sums by your club that they had to take a pittance of what they owed.

If you're such the self-proclaimed model club why not use your huge revenues from all those season tickets to pay back those that were shafted by your examinership?

And Shelbourne were not relegated like Shamrock. Two completely different scenarios.

Please stick to the facts.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Shamrock were saved by a judge. It was him (or her) that told those owed huge sums by your club that they had to take a pittance of what they owed.

If you're such the self-proclaimed model club why not use your huge revenues from all those season tickets to pay back those that were shafted by your examinership?

And Shelbourne were not relegated like Shamrock. Two completely different scenarios.

Please stick to the facts.

So tell me how where shels relegated . Im not having ago at other clubs just pointing out there current situations .Compered to shamrock rovers.

bohsman wrote: »
    Since when are Bohs in trouble with the tax man, mustve missed that one.

Well i would just like to say sorry for my error bohs not in trouble wit the taxman. JUST MILLONS IN DEBT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭aliveandkicking

Slightly disingenious lads. Everyone knows the fans (400 club) invested over €1 million taking over the club and have run it very professionally since then. Best run club in the country right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Slightly disingenious lads. Everyone knows the fans (400 club) invested over €1 million taking over the club and have run it very professionally since then. Best run club in the country right now.

Absolutely but its getting a bit boring hearing about it, especially when its only a few years since a Bohs supporting judge saved yous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

And people wonder what turns potential fans away from the LOI.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

I don't know if this has been mentioned before but I know the main reason for why my dad and his mates ended up deterring from LOI support. They used to go to Milltown every week up until he was 15 and he had to switch to playing ball on the Sunday himself, the same day and time that LOI matches were taking place. Where's the sense in that? I'm sure that happedned across the country.

Good documentary though, whenever non LOI followers are questioned they usually have poor/limited reasoning for not having an interest in their local club. Fair enough that people in the midlands, most of Munster and the likes of Mayo have no local team to support (I daresay a Mayo man wouldn't follow Galway Utd) but that doesn't justify people in areas where there's a LOI team in need of community support. I have no problem with people following foreign clubs as I do it strongly myself. Just there's no reason why both can't be done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

So tell me how where shels relegated . Im not having ago at other clubs just pointing out there current situations .Compered to shamrock rovers.

Shelbourne were demoted, not relegated. Rovers were relegated after losing a play-off against Dublin City. Big difference.

Rovers paid off creditors something like 4c in the Euro, and started with a clean slate thereafter. Shelbourne, while still owing money, have not had debts wiped off like this, and continue to pay back every cent owed to creditors.

Neither club is a model example of how to run either a business or a football club, to be honest.

The only clubs I can think of as examples of model LOI clubs in would be UCD and Bray Wanderers. Neither has got caught up in the insane unaffordable wage deals other clubs have, and although they haven't had much tangible success on the field, you haven't seen them in court over unpaid debts or begging the FAI for handouts.

Töpher wrote: »
    Shelbourne were demoted, not relegated. Rovers were relegated after losing a play-off against Dublin City. Big difference.

Rovers paid off creditors something like 4c in the Euro, and started with a clean slate thereafter. Shelbourne, while still owing money, have not had debts wiped off like this, and continue to pay back every cent owed to creditors.

Neither club is a model example of how to run either a business or a football club, to be honest.

The only clubs I can think of as examples of model LOI clubs in would be UCD and Bray Wanderers. Neither has got caught up in the insane unaffordable wage deals other clubs have, and although they haven't had much tangible success on the field, you haven't seen them in court over unpaid debts or begging the FAI for handouts.

Thats the past were talking about now and both clubs are doing there best at the moment to get there clubs back were they belong. shels were demoted .rovers were relegated after been deducted points which if it hadnt of happened they would of stayed up. so both were shafted by the fai

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭aliveandkicking

Rovers are now. Since late 2005 Rovers have been run brilliantly and are now the model the rest of the league should be following. You can drag up the past all you like but anyone looking to know how to run a LOI club today should be following the Rovers model.

Thats the past were talking about now and both clubs are doing there best at the moment to get there clubs back were they belong. shels were demoted .rovers were relegated after been deducted points which if it hadnt of happened they would of stayed up. so both were shafted by the fai

Indeed. Shelbourne more so, perhaps, as Rovers were still left with the opportunity of securing top flight status with on-pitch performances.
    Although your points deduction hindered your situation by dropping you into the play off spot, it could be argued that it was your on pitch performances over the course of the season, and especially in the 2 legged play off again Dublin City, that cost you your Premier Division status.

However, I think it was right to punish us, severely. I'd think it was more right if this sort of punishment was handed out evenly. Cobh also got demoted, yet the FAI were prepared to go arguing to UEFA over Cork's eligibilty to play in Europe should they have qualified, despite the clear rules on the matter.

Both clubs are trying to improve, and Rovers have had a huge helping hand by having had nearly every penny of debt wiped off. I don't begrudge that, at all, its what happens when a company is on the brink of existence. I just think that it is way to soon to be claiming SRFC as a model for other clubs to follow - as it would be any business that is regaining sustainability after other people and companies were forced to write off nearly €2,000,000.
    Rovers are now. Since late 2005 Rovers have been run brilliantly and are now the model the rest of the league should be following. You can drag up the past all you like but anyone looking to know how to run a LOI club today should be following the Rovers model.

Any new club perhaps. I would be highly certain that nearly all existing clubs have debts, some more substantial than others, and possibly not have the fan base that Rovers do meaning there's less people offering up their own money as support. The first steps in the Rovers model require examinership to clear these debts by effectively wiping the slate clean, costing innocent parties a lot of money; are you saying this is how to run a club properly?

I'm not denying that Rovers are being run well at the moment, and not saying that the fans who stepped in are anything short of fantastic. However, it was only 4 short years ago that the creditors of SRFC got shafted (regardless of who was in charge at the time) and they started a-fresh. I just think it's too short a time frame to say they are now a prime example of a model club when less-than-the-number-of-fingers-I-have-on-one-hand years ago, creditors to the club/business had to write off massive losses to provide the base for this now well run entity.

Ask me again in 10 years, and if the club is still being run as it is now, I'd have no option but to agree that they are a model club. In my own opinion, it's too soon, and has yet to prove the relatively long term sustainability worthy of being declared a 'model' club.

Indeed. Shelbourne more so, perhaps, as Rovers were still left with the opportunity of securing top flight status with on-pitch performances.
    Although your points deduction hindered your situation by dropping you into the play off spot, it could be argued that it was your on pitch performances over the course of the season, and especially in the 2 legged play off again Dublin City, that cost you your Premier Division status.

However, I think it was right to punish us, severely. I'd think it was more right if this sort of punishment was handed out evenly. Cobh also got demoted, yet the FAI were prepared to go arguing to UEFA over Cork's eligibilty to play in Europe should they have qualified, despite the clear rules on the matter.

Both clubs are trying to improve, and Rovers have had a huge helping hand by having had nearly every penny of debt wiped off. I don't begrudge that, at all, its what happens when a company is on the brink of existence. I just think that it is way to soon to be claiming SRFC as a model for other clubs to follow - as it would be any business that is regaining sustainability after other people and companies were forced to write off nearly €2,000,000.

Any new club perhaps. I would be highly certain that nearly all existing clubs have debts, some more substantial than others, and possibly not have the fan base that Rovers do meaning there's less people offering up their own money as support. The first steps in the Rovers model require examinership to clear these debts by effectively wiping the slate clean, costing innocent parties a lot of money; are you saying this is how to run a club properly?

I'm not denying that Rovers are being run well at the moment, and not saying that the fans who stepped in are anything short of fantastic. However, it was only 4 short years ago that the creditors of SRFC got shafted (regardless of who was in charge at the time) and they started a-fresh. I just think it's too short a time frame to say they are now a prime example of a model club when less-than-the-number-of-fingers-I-have-on-one-hand years ago, creditors to the club/business had to write off massive losses to provide the base for this now well run entity.

Ask me again in 10 years, and if the club is still being run as it is now, I'd have no option but to agree that they are a model club. In my own opinion, it's too soon, and has yet to prove the relatively long term sustainability worthy of being declared a 'model' club.[/quote

I agree with all you have to say but i think the point most rovers fans are saying is that the club is been run NOW the way all other clubs should be .The club is run and owned by the fans there is a wage structure in place which will probably hinder rovers in the july transfer window because they wont pay players over the top wages.They are active in the tallaght area in promoting football . they have almost 2500 season ticket holders. All i hope is that other clubs will be delt with as rovers shels and cobh have. Do you think cork will be demoted ???? do you think bohs and derry will be docked points if found to be in breech of financial regulations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Just watched it now. Pretty good documentary.

Loved this comment towards the end: "the best football in the world is only a bar stool away". Regardless of whether or not you like the term barstooler you've got to say thats brilliant.

I agree with all you have to say but i think the point most rovers fans are saying is that the club is been run NOW the way all other clubs should be .The club is run and owned by the fans there is a wage structure in place which will probably hinder rovers in the july transfer window because they wont pay players over the top wages.They are active in the tallaght area in promoting football . they have almost 2500 season ticket holders. All i hope is that other clubs will be delt with as rovers shels and cobh have. Do you think cork will be demoted ???? do you think bohs and derry will be docked points if found to be in breech of financial regulations.

I agree that things are going great out there at the moment (and it's definitely something for the fans to be proud of), if in several years time it's still working as it is now, then it should be held up as a shining example of the route to follow. For now though, most clubs couldn't do it due to the existing debts in place.

Of course the FAI won't punish those clubs according to the precedents set, that would make logical sense! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

The thing about being holier-than-thou when you support one of the big clubs in the LOI is that sadly, you can point the finger all day.

I definitely think there is a typical element of LOI sniping about Rovers though, albeit not on this forum in fairness. Any initiative shown by the board to trade within means, secure a municipal ground (that we owned before anyway) or try and think that little bit bigger is being met with the same big-for-your-boots blazerisms.

Nobody liked to see creditors being left short, but examinership is a legal option open to any stricken business. The mismanagement of the club was the fault of the board that were thrown out. It wasn't just creditor's money that was being pissed away either.

I don't really know the deeper Shels story well enough to know if your refusal to enter examinership was altruistic or 'strategic', but the past is the past for me. I just want to see the the remaining spoofing clubs brought to their senses and for the league to be something other than a laughing stock.

Since examinership, Rovers have been run very well, and I see nothing wrong with saying they are a model club, but it's fair enough to qualify it with a last few years disclaimer. I don't say it as a love-in for Rovers, just that the adoption of prudent business practice is something that is coming to all the big clubs in time, usually as a hard-learned lesson, and that Rovers were no exception.

stovelid wrote: »
    The thing about being holier-than-thou when you support one of the big clubs in the LOI is that sadly, you can point the finger all day.

I definitely think there is a typical element of LOI sniping about Rovers though, albeit not on this forum in fairness. Any initiative shown by the board to trade within means, secure a municipal ground (that we owned before anyway) or try and think that little bit bigger is being met with the same big-for-your-boots blazerisms.

Nobody liked to see creditors being left short, but examinership is a legal option open to any stricken business. The mismanagement of the club was the fault of the board that were thrown out. It wasn't just creditor's money that was being pissed away either.

I don't really know the deeper Shels story well enough to know if your refusal to enter examinership was altruistic or 'strategic', but the past is the past for me. I just want to see the the remaining spoofing clubs brought to their senses and for the league to be something other than a laughing stock.

Since examinership, Rovers have been run very well, and I see nothing wrong with saying they are a model club, but it's fair enough to qualify it with a last few years disclaimer. I don't say it as a love-in for Rovers, just that the adoption of prudent business practice is something that is coming to all the big clubs in time, usually as a hard-learned lesson, and that Rovers were no exception.

Very well said it seems everyone wants to knock rovers now were back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Very well said it seems everyone wants to knock rovers now were back.

Jealousy my friend

Voltwad wrote: »
    Jealousy my friend

Exactly its a very bad thing is JEALOUSY. Or is it envy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Voltwad wrote: »
    Fair enough that people in the midlands, most of Munster and the likes of Mayo have no local team to support (I daresay a Mayo man wouldn't follow Galway Utd) but that doesn't justify people in areas where there's a LOI team in need of community support.

I take it you've never heard of "Galway Brian From Mayo".
    Galway United fan from Shrule, Co. Mayo. More often than not seen more regulary on Ireland away trips than in Terryland as he works abroad now (or did last time I was chatting him), but always seen in a GUFC jersey!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Mr Maroon

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    Galway United fan from Shrule, Co. Mayo. More often than not seen more regulary on Ireland away trips than in Terryland as he works abroad now (or did last time I was chatting him), but always seen in a GUFC jersey!
    He's not the only Mayo man who supports GUFC either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

Typical attitude from LOI fans in this doc

'I'm better than you for supporting my local team', 'everyone is against us' bla bla bla

Thought the music at the beginning was irritating to say the least
    Saint_Mel wrote: »

In Shrule Brian is as close to Galway as he is to Castlebar.

As a Mayo man I have always like to see GUFC do well, but that is more of a west v east thing than any love for GUFC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

'I'm better than you for supporting my local team', 'everyone is against us' bla bla bla
    Attitudes hardly unique to LoI fans.

Check out Sky4 threads here, or any club forum. Report back with any posts you find saying 'We're not as good as [blank] fans,' or appreciating concerted expressions of goodwill from others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

SectionF wrote: »
    All LoI fans also are barstoolers. It's a question of degree.

Excellent video BTW.
    I think you are right about that. Personally, I would like to see more genuine football lovers 'add' a LOI team to whoever they support abroad. Football is football and I prefer to watch a live game at an inferior standard rather than a televised game that would be considered as technically better.

Thought the music at the beginning was irritating to say the least

In Shrule Brian is as close to Galway as he is to Castlebar.

As a Mayo man I have always like to see GUFC do well, but that is more of a west v east thing than any love for GUFC

Is that not the point of supporting a football team to be a football supporter at loi level is not an easy thing. Have a look at how many people knock league of ire football. im going to be passionate about rovers because im a rovers fan. every supporter in the world loves there team through good times and bad.every suppoter thinks there team are the greatest in the world even if there rubbish thats why you support your team .

Advertisement