Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone ever driven to West Africa?

• 03-07-2009 2:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭

If so, how much did it cost overall?

Did you need many vacinations beforehand?

Did you make much on selling the car at the end?

Any advice / problems you encountered?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

If you google the London Mongol rally there might be some infor there- AFAIR the were on about setting up a London-Timbuktu rally.

In any case Id imagine you'd need a 4WD and a VERY good guide to traverse the Sahara.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭littletiger

Heard it can be dangerous in parts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

It is commonly done with 2wd cars down the Moroccan route, not really dangerous unless you go off driving through the minefields on your own.
    Selling the car may prove more of a problem plenty of scope to get ripped off by buyers and customs men.
    You may also have difficulty with the Carnet if you do sell it.
    Older Mercs are the most sought after.
    Just out of interest, do you have any experience with off road driving? Are you mechanically competent with vehicles?

Top Gear ran this story a while back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

To be honest I have zero off road driving experience, and no idea how to fix a car, but a friend who will be with me will know much more about cars than me

I was under the impresstion that this could be done 98% by driving on roads

Ah I have found someone that did this trip

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055563985

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

To be honest I have zero off road driving experience, and no idea how to fix a car, but a friend who will be with me will know much more about cars than me

I was under the impresstion that this could be done 98% by driving on roads

There are Irish roads and then there are African roads.;)

CJhaughey wrote: »
    There are Irish roads and then there are African roads.;)
    I'd say the African ones are better yeah?

Advertisement