Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Possible worn rear axle - 00 BMW 316iSE

• 03-07-2009 2:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭

The car in question - 00 BMW 316i SE. (E46 Saloon)

Severe grinding noise coming for the rear of the car (mostly you hear it inside, not too loud outside). Started again a few weeks ago and progessively worse, taking the car to dealership tomorrow.

Just to clarify, I have had the car to 3 different garages with the same problem in the last 16 months and it is not improving but getting steadily worse. Had the two rear wheel bearings replaced, another added some synthetic oil to the axle - still the problem is not gone.

Its like a grinding, metal on metal noise and gets louder when the car is accelerating and is REALLY bad at around 20 - 30mph. The last visit was to a main dealership and the mechanic and rep mentioned at the time that it could possibly be the rear axle. If so, it wouldnt be worth while replacing and would be wiser to get rid of the car.

Any thoughts or opinions? Is it possible to replace - any idea of costs?
    We've just replaced my partners car and could really do without this!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

You've a bearing on the prop shaft I'd look at to see if that is causing the problem or else have a look at the differential assembly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Plek Trum

Cheers Daragh - its good to have a few options to put to him, rather than just being told its non-repairable. If its cheap enough to do I don't mind at all, but could do without investing money into a car thats 10 years old nearly at this time. Thanks again - all other suggestions welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Plek Trum wrote: »
    Cheers Daragh - its good to have a few options to put to him, rather than just being told its non-repairable. If its cheap enough to do I don't mind at all, but could do without investing money into a car thats 10 years old nearly at this time. Thanks again - all other suggestions welcome.

Well if you're into a replacement differential assembly, I think your into big money there. I'd imagine whoever is looking at the car has already checked out the prop shaft bearings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Where are you based? I don't know if I would bother with a BMW dealership, their labour rates will be at least twice of a good independent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Plek Trum

Based in Kerry - got a fairly good deal with a main dealer a few backs so I don;t mind too much - 2nd opinion doesn't hurt either of course.

Came across this while researching - related?

www.E46subframeclassactionsettlement.com

I know its US based, but is it possible it could be a related issue to my problem?

• Advertisement
Advertisement