Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 USA Roaming cost

• 03-07-2009 2:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has taken a look at o2's pre pay romaing charges to the us lately? According to http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/Home/Explore+Services/Services/Travelling+Abroad/Tariff+Information/United+States/speakeasy it only costs 1c per MB for data (granted its only gprs but still). Anyone know if thats actually true, it seems quite unlikely considering you pay 1c per KB in Ireland (with a daily cap of €1 as long as you stay below 50MB).

It would seem to be much much cheaper to just use the data connection to send webtexts rather than standard ones when I'm over there which doesnt seem right at all.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Certainly looks like it.

Yeah, I was actually advised not to spend my money with Meteor on data while roaming because it is so expensive. Very caring Meteor staff.

There can't be too many companies that would tell you not to use their product these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

The O2 pricing is a mistake. This was confirmed by Daryll on the O2 Forum. He says it's 1c/KB.

Can't really argue with anyone here who using this point and complains about data roaming .. that's just a stupid mistake to make by O2 that will cost people money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Random wrote: »
    The O2 pricing is a mistake. This was confirmed by Daryll on the O2 Forum. He says it's 1c/KB.

I was presuming that was the case,, but its quite stupid seeing as the other countries are priced in MB. Its not just USA that has that €0.01mb pricing

• Advertisement

Davy wrote: »
    I was presuming that was the case,, but its quite stupid seeing as the other countries are priced in MB. Its not just USA that has that €0.01mb pricing
    It gives a case to all those people O2 said "you never checked the price before you went" to. If O2 can't get the pricing message consistant then this argument goes out the window and we all move toward the "the networks are trying to rip us off" camp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭nayorleck114

Well don't get caught out like me with a 5,000 euro bill!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Random wrote: »
    It gives a case to all those people O2 said "you never checked the price before you went" to. If O2 can't get the pricing message consistant then this argument goes out the window and we all move toward the "the networks are trying to rip us off" camp.

that's very true, and no to blame but themselves. I would imagine they will want to clear this up fairly quick. And if i remember when you go roaming, the service text you get only gives pricing for calls and texts doesn't it? Least if it call the correct data pricing in the text o2 would have a case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Provided that you are actually charged by the Kb then an application like AFT or Cabbage is likely to be only a few cents to send a webtext, and so cheaper than the sending a text directly. Watch out for a minimum of 100KB or the like, as that would ruin you!

• Advertisement

Looking at the thread it appears they've passed it on to the relevant people to sort out ..

Advertisement