Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Substrate for tortoise table?

Options
  • 03-07-2009 2:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭

In the next few days I am getting my first tortoise. I have been doing alot of reading up on them and for the substrate for the tortoise table the recommendation seems to be a 40/60 mix of sand and soil i was just wondering if special soil and sand mustbe used or would soil and sand from the garden be ok to use. Thanks in advance lads.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Wolfsberg

Use Herbifloor. Sand will get onto the food and cause impaction of the gut! ;) I wouldn't use soil at all. Herbifloor will also be too big for a young tortie to ingest and then choke on. I assume it is a dry climate tortoise???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

tyther wrote: »
    In the next few days I am getting my first tortoise. I have been doing alot of reading up on them and for the substrate for the tortoise table the recommendation seems to be a 40/60 mix of sand and soil i was just wondering if special soil and sand mustbe used or would soil and sand from the garden be ok to use. Thanks in advance lads.
    Soil from the garden is ok to use though if your tortoise table is indoors I wonder how many worms and other creatures it will contain!
    I'd recommend bags of topsoil from any of the DIY stores and mix it with Playsand.
    Get a piece of slate or even a paving slab to use as a feeding area in the middle of the sand/soil substrate.
    You're aiming to recreate their natural habitat, so a slightly sandy soil is ideal.

Advertisement