Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electricians Strike

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Today the AECI (Association Of Electrical Contractors of Ireland) today voted not to support the labour court reccomendations. The NECI (National Electrical Contractors of Ireland) have opposed the agreemnet for quite some time now.

The ECA (Electrical Contractors of Ireland) represents the "big boys", the larger companies such as Mercury etc. voted to accept the agreement.
    .....the Court recommends that
    the rates of pay currently prescribed in the REA be adjusted in two phases as
    follows: -
    · Phase 1:
    With effect from 1st September 2009 - An increase of 2.5% on each point
    of the scale
    · Phase 2:
    With effect from 1st January 2010 - An increase of 2.4% on each point
    of the scale

The electricians may well be on strike again very soon.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Nobody so far has mentioned the common theory floating around about this striking. Rumour has it that the unions subscriptions had dropped substantively and they needed to get more sparks to sign up. When they started talking about getting better rates and what the empoyers were planning, they suddenly had a lot of new and old members sign up

I'd love to see your proof of this.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Rumour has it that the unions subscriptions had dropped substantively
    Hardly a suprise, the construction industry is in decline so there are less employed electricians, therefore less subscriptions.
    When they started talking about getting better rates and what the empoyers were planning, they suddenly had a lot of new and old members sign up
    The TEEU have been "talking about getting better rates " since they came into existance in 1992! Thats what unions are there for, to look for the best possible pay and conditions for thier members.

Are you suggesting that joining a union just before they are due to go on strike is a good idea??:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭techdiver

2011 wrote: »
    Hardly a suprise, the construction industry is in decline so there are less employed electricians, therefore less subscriptions.

So looking for higher pay is the obvious move considering that fact?

Thats what unions are there for, to look for the best possible pay and conditions for thier members.

And to hell with the consequences for the rest of the country and the knock on effect it will have on their members in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Okay I've stayed away from this thread so far. My friend is an electrician by trade and is reasonably high up in a union so he was out on strike there. I'm not a fan of unions generally, their modus operandi seems more about control than doing what's actually best for the workers. As we argue about these things I had no interest in arguing in here as well.

All that said can someone explain to me how it makes sense to look for more money (whether you are entitled to it or not) in this recession when half the electricians in the country are probably now unemployed. Certainly all my electricians friends are working part time at best. It's nuts IMO. Anyone??

• Advertisement

So looking for higher pay is the obvious move considering that fact?
    I would not think so, no. My own belief is that electricians wages have become unsustainable. I think they deserve the money, but it simply is not there in most cases.
    And to hell with the consequences for the rest of the country and the knock on effect it will have on their members in the long run.
    I think you are confusing me with someone that supports the idea of further strike action.
    can someone explain to me how it makes sense to look for more money (whether you are entitled to it or not) in this recession
    No, sorry!

I think you are confusing me with someone that supports the idea of further strike action.

I was just qualifying your statement and using it as a preface to my point.;)

I was just qualifying your statement and using it as a preface to my point.wink.gif
    That is a great answer :D

That is a great answer :D

I thought you'd like it alright;)

Advertisement