Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Changing gears - advice needed.

• 03-07-2009 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hey there!

I'm just learning to drive at the moment. My car is extremely smooth and quiet and my instructor has recomended I watch the rev counter to help me along.

I've learned now that fifth gear is basically from 60 kmph up and from roughly 40 up for 4th. But I'm confused about 3rd and 2nd. This only seems to hinder me when I'm slowing down.

Any hints or advice on gear changes? It's the only thing which seems to be holding me back at the moment, but obviously it's pretty crucial!! : O

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Thats not the rev counter, its the speedometer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The engine will tell you when the gear needs to be changed, so learn to listen to the car. I'd personally never look at the rev counter. Different engines rev at different rates.

If it's whining, then you need to shift up. If it's juddering, then you need to shift down. That's the basics, the finesse will come with practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Yunalesca

Yes I realised that A SECOND after I posted the thread.

I'm not going to bother my arse editing it. Oh well. C'est la vie.

thanks! I'll just give it a go and see if I do better next time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

dudara wrote: »
    The engine will tell you when the gear needs to be changed. I'd personally never look at the rev counter. Different engines rev at different rates.

If it's whining, then you need to shift up. If it's juddering, then you need to shift down. That's the basics, the finesse will come with practice.

Pretty much - Looking at the rev counter the whole time is a bit silly in fairness. My car (Punto mk2) doesn't even have one :D Best thing about the car tbh, you learn to listen to the engine much more quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

No its the rev counter he is talking about. If you you are driving in wrong gear, rev counter usually hits three to four on the counter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

dudara wrote: »
    The engine will tell you when the gear needs to be changed, so learn to listen to the car. I'd personally never look at the rev counter. Different engines rev at different rates.

This is the best advice, the car will tell you. Third gear in a higher spec car is not the same as thrid gear in a one litre micra for example, listenng to the car will give you the experience you need. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭aranrn

If you think you should be changing gear and you're a little unsure just tap the gear knob with your index finger. If it responds with like a snappy click, then shift gear. It's more like a vibration than a noise. If you don't feel it then stay put.

yeah I just realised the instructor has been just been telling me 'you should change to 5th once you get to 60 etc..) hrm probably best just try to listen to teh car I suppose :3

never did fifth gear with the instructor but someone else showed me. on same topic how many times did it take before viewers past their test. I got mine fourth time around.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

I was lucky, first time round, my bro who is no worse a driver than I am (honestly) is on his fourth and still not passed :eek:

oh dear >> I have a long way to go XD

hopefully I'll get there in the right gear :B

arf. That was dire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I'd agree with everything that's been said so far. A lot of this comes down to practice and experience. Noting a speed that each gear applies to is a handy way to learn when starting out, however you'll soon realise that it doesn't always apply, as things like hills, extra weight in the car etc etc will have a big effect.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i learnt by looking at my rev counter - can i suggest you dont do this. hen i got my new car there was no rev counter, it was like learning to drive all over again :(

i wasnt used to listening to the car.

can i just say from first gear you go straight to 2nd, 20-30 kph into to 3rd, 40kpm into 4th

but as said previoult it depends on the car and circumstances

listen, listen, listen and a bit of practise and you will be grand:):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 RSA ADI MARK

hi yunalesca if you are just starting out your instructor should be concentrating on 1 2 3 4 not 5th learn them first then with time maybe 5th

yes very surprised you are learning about fifth gear. never went near the motorways or dual carriageway to be using it when i was with instructor but its a simple enought procedure. from fourth gear shift to the north east postion or two o clock.

thank you very much!! ^_^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭DrivingInfo

HI

This is very hard to explain in writing but ill try!

1.Find a quite road/car park
    2.Put you car into 1st
    3.Move off with clutch ONLY (bring clutch up to the point where you car starts to move)
    4.Let the car move a little more and more and more as your lifting the clutch (remember to lift clutch slowly)
    5.when clutch is up all the way you will notice your car driving on it's own. (No accelerator)

Now if you want you can try to change gear up to 2nd then 3rd then 4th, you only need to lift clutch slowly between changes.
    You see your car will drive in every gear without the accelerator

IF you experience this, your gear changing will then make sence. You change by feel and not even be sound.

Before anyone say's I'm wrong! Now do deaf people drive.
    You should only look at the clocks when necessary (not for changing gear)

Regards

Advertisement