Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching an old dog old tricks

Options
  • 03-07-2009 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭

I recently moved back home with my parents after a long absense.

Before I left for college our lovely collie was my little dream. Both my brother and I trained him from a puppy and he was really well behaved. I even used to do agility training with him for fun because he had so much energy and was so smart.

He was 5 when I left and now he's 11.

Since I've gotten back I can't believe he's the same dog. hes a terror! Running after the postman*, chasing cats, barking and scratching things and biting the other dog!
    *thats why i'm posting he nearly got ran over 10mins ago :(

I couldn't understand it until he ran after a cat the other day and neither of my parents batted an eyelid. long story short the cat scratched him and there was blood everywhere and i was freaking out.
    their response 'but sure there would be no getting him back if he was afer a cat'! When i was still here full time he wouldn't so much look at a cat because he new better.

The whole family used to be involved in disiplining (not the right word but i can't think of it) him but since my brother moved out 2yrs ago its seems they have let him run wild!

what should i do? I've been trying to use the same techniques as when he was a puppy but he doesn't seem to be responding.

Will he ever remember his old training or should I start over altogether? And if so how do you teach an old dog?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Yes of course you can "teach an old dog new tricks" to use your phrase...but it sounds like hes been a loooong time learning other "bad" ones and unless you're there to reinforce the new ones, then im afraid you're stuck with what hes already learnt.

Realistically...11..is getting on in dog terms and it sounds like hes been left to his own devices for years so to fix the bad habits will take alot of determinatin and patience on your behalf. Have you got the time? If not, then you'll just have to make adjustments to his living arrangements in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

I was afraid that was the answer. I'm leaving again in a few months. i'll try my best while i'm here but I'm afraid to admit this but i think my parents might be bad dog owners:(

I've given out about people with dogs the way he is now, running at people, barking and all that, it just upsets me so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Unfortunately if you're the only one willing to teach him and be consistent...thats the main word in any learning process, then you'll just have to try and re-educate your parents. Even human kids who've learned something for a few months wont stick with it forever, it needs to be constantly reinforced and rewarded or scolded..thats how life works.

I think both your dog and your parents arent going to change their ways anytime soon. I think the only thing you can do is educate your parents as to the consequences of having a disobedient pet.I feel your frustration though...

Advertisement