Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Licence Fee's Announced

Options
  • 03-07-2009 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭

From the NARGC Website
    NEWSFLASH !

Following intensive discussions between the NARGC and the Department of Justice in the wake of the announcement to the Firearms Consultative Panel that the new 3 year licence fee would likely be about €99, the fee has now been set at €80. This represents an almost 20% reduction in what was originally intended. The scale of this achievement, which has been secured in the face of massive increases and expenditure cuts across all sectors, should not be underestimated. The new fee was confirmed to the NARGC today, July 3rd 2009.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Little bit of good news for a change....I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ayapatrick

is this a one for all fee? cover rifles, shotguns and subsequent shotties?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

That's what was agreed on before aya. One fee for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ayapatrick

Sparks wrote: »

for rifles it works out well, not so bad for the €25 shot license but the sub for 6eur. suppose cant win them all.
    while im at it will anyone that has had a 6euro license be entitled to a game license now that the prices are common ground, or will we have to state on the renewals/apps which we want?

Granted the 6 euro licence goes away, but how many shooters had that of the 160,000 who had shotgun licences? And shouldn't the 70,000 others get a better deal? At least, that was the thinking at the time. 80 euro is still a rise on the 60 euro that had been put forward initially though (and frankly, I can't find out if that 100 euro figure was ever mentioned anywhere but in the NARGC emails and website, so I'm not really thinking of the 80 euro fee as a massive victory over anyone right now).

• Advertisement

Yeah, about that 99 euro figure, this is from the Dail's transcripts on Thursday, the Minister speaking:
    The best solution is the one recommended by Deputy Flanagan in his amendment No. 9, which I am taking on board via my amendment No. 10. This provides for an annual review of the operation of the legislation which will provide Deputies with an opportunity to raise issues of concern to them, including the question of fees. I am not sure where Deputy Flanagan received his information regarding an apparent licence fee of €99 per year. There is no such charge. This legislation provides for a three-year licence, but for some three months running up to the renewal date, people will be able to avail of their new licence free of charge. This is being done to allow for the bedding down of the new regime and in recognition of the more than 200,000 licences already in operation. The changes will be made on a graduated basis to manage the workload. There will be one fee for the new three-year licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭macnas

So the NARGC gets the 'newsflash' feel good story for their good work on the FCP. If they spent more time actually representing their own members interests rather than playing them for dummies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Killguru

Aye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Does this come into effect on August 1?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

I'm happy with that more rifles in this house hold,works out cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

This legislation provides for a three-year licence, but for some three months running up to the renewal date, people will be able to avail of their new licence free of charge.

Say what now?

They won't be able to have that new licence free of charge maglite, they'll get a free extension of their old licence.

Is this going happen this year?

It looks likely at this point Bond.

It looks likely at this point Bond.
    I am awaiting my letters from the commissioner. :)

Let us know if you get them Bond, because he's not empowered to send them yet! :D

Oh? I take it a certain SI has not being signed yet?

No, the bit that lets the super send the letter is in the Bill, which hasn't finished passing yet!

And unless I am mistaken the Dail and Seannad have risen for the summer at this stage.

Gah. Okay Bond, I'm mid-senior-moment here 'cos it's 2am, so excuse any errors!
    As far as I know, the Bill has gone through the Dail, the Dail committee, the Dail report and the Seanad reading stages; it's scheduled for the Seanad committee stage this Tuesday (the 7th) and then back to the Seanad on Wednesday (the 8th) and then back to the Dail for the final vote (which isn't scheduled, but could happen on the Thursday) and then off to the president.

• Advertisement

Good Stuff.

One fee for all? Is it not one fee per gun?
    If you have two guns, then it's two licences.

Or am I reading it wrong?

Yes, one fee per licence - but all firearm licences now carry the same fee P&B, as opposed to one for shotguns, one for subsequent shotguns, one for rifles, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭kakashka

Same fee for all types of guns is how it goes PB,shotgun/rifle same fee
    Fee payable for Each gun AFAICS

Thought as much. I was thinking of one licence to cover all guns for the three year period. However, I was talking to guard yesterday and he told me as above.

One point he made, and it's a valid one, what about the security aspect of renewing your licence over the counter in your local Post Office? You stand a good chance of having to do it in full view of joe public who might happen to be there renewing TV livences, buying stamps, collecting dole etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Keelan

Is it a fact, that the certs will, be renewed at your local post office folks, or does any one not know yet?
    Thanks,

Keelan.

They won't be renewed at the post office, you'll just pay for them there.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Keelan

I see, thanks Sparks.
    Does this mean, we pay for them at the post office, then go to the local garda to renew them?

Keelan.

Don't know Keelan, the details on that haven't been officially announced yet (only right too, the bill's not passed yet).

• Advertisement

Keelan wrote: »
    I see, thanks Sparks.
    Does this mean, we pay for them at the post office, then go to the local garda to renew them?

Keelan.
    I would think that there will be a barcoded piece of paper to take to the post office with no details as to what it is for. Post office clerk has no idea what it is. You then take the receipt to the Garda Station where the Gardaí take over.

Advertisement