Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

buying a new car battery question

• 03-07-2009 4:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering how do i know which battery to buy for my car, It's a 99 Nissan Almera. Over the past few days the battery keeps going dead even after i charge it.. So I gotta get a new one.

Where best to buy around tallaght ?.. I've no idea when it comes to cars... So i dont even know if there's different type of battery's etc..

Any help would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

The only think I can contribute is that all car batteries just die at some stage. It happened to someone I know and their 99 Yaris. Car batteries, like phone batteries incase you notice with an old phone just expire after a while so you could expect to have to change it every 10 years. At least thats what the garage owned told my friend when it happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭gillo_100

Any local motor factors should be able to tell you what battery you need or even if there is a halfords nearby they should know.

Just to say, good chance its the battery gone but could be something else which is draining the power instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,749 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

bbk wrote: »
    you could expect to have to change it every 10 years.

The battery in my 735 died this year after 10 years in service. 10 years is extremely long for a car battery, you could expect to have to change it after 3-5 years typically. Anything more and you're lucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

I dont think anything is draining the power.. I checked all the normal things.. I might drop into halfords later on.

cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Between 4 to 6 years is the norm, expect to pay €80 or there abouts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Halfords are very expensive, try a motor factors instead, there is one on Belgard Road opposite the Square, can't remember the name of them, but it's in the same complex as the 'Square Fit' tyre and exhaust depot.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭kingsley16

Have you checked your alternator? theres no point in buying a new battery if the alternator isn't working right...Get a mechanic to have a look at your alternator and if that's the problem then you would have to buy a new alternator and battery.

Advertisement