Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fightpad, fightstick or TE

• 03-07-2009 6:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

It has proven suprisingly difficult to track down SF IV on pc in Sweden. Eventually found a shop with it but can't for the life of me see a decent stick or pad to buy with it. Anyway I am back in Ireland next week and am sitting with the game and a xbox TE stick in an amazon basket.

So is the TE worth it? I am happy to pay for it if its a considerable step up from the fightstick/pad.

Convince me!

Cheers,

Woden

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

No, if you're not that into fighting games, just buy an SE. The TE is overpriced imo and even if you later decide you want to upgrade to Sanwa/Seimitsu buttons/stick later, you can just mod the SE very easily and it'll cost a lot less money.

The TE is a great stick but far above what most people need and the price reflects that. The SE is imo a fantastic stick for the price - the washer issues seem to have been resolved. Paying another 100 quid for the TE is madness in 95% of people's cases I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Got a SE a few weeks back and still finding the transition from the pad onto it hard. I'd look around for a decent USB pad with a good DPAD and try that for awhile. If you're really into the game get a SE stick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Cheers guys.

I ordered the game and the madcatz fightpad for now and we'll take it from there. Will hopefully have it for next weekend but have a wedding then followed by some vacation so will be a while before I get some solid time with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,721 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

BTW, I just bought an SE (found one while on hols in Chichester, W.Sussex) and the washer issue is NOT fixed; however, it can be resolved by taking it apart (relatively easy) and supergluing the offending metal washer to the plastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭redshoulder

I bought the se stick and replaced the parts with sanwa jlf and buttons.

• Advertisement

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    BTW, I just bought an SE (found one while on hols in Chichester, W.Sussex) and the washer issue is NOT fixed; however, it can be resolved by taking it apart (relatively easy) and supergluing the offending metal washer to the plastic.

Could have been a stick from the previous batch though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

My SE came with the washer glued down and it hasn't shifted in 30+ hours of play.

Would agree with Dreddys post on buying the SE over the TE. At the level the majority of play there;s little to no benefiet in the TE over the standard edition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

After hearing about the numerous issues with the SE stick, I went with the TE. Amazon have reduced them bad boys to £100 so the price is a little easier to swallow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

After hearing about the numerous issues with the SE stick, I went with the TE.

same here. I'll gladly pay premium to reduce any possibility of buying a headache. Plus it's nice knowing that I have a piece of equipment that will never hold me back. If you have the money spare for a TE and buying it won't leave a crater in your wallet then you might as well buy it.

Dispite saying in stock for SF IV on amazon they have sent me a mail saying there is a delay obtaining the stock

/sigh

• Advertisement

Woden wrote: »
    Dispite saying in stock for SF IV on amazon they have sent me a mail saying there is a delay obtaining the stock

/sigh

I bought mine from scan.co.uk. There was an issue where the courier misplaced the stick, but scan where good enough to quickly dispatch another one with expedited delivery so I got it at around the same time I would of anyway.

http://www.scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?WebProductId=973474

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

You could always cancel and get on Steam or at retail back home, but you will pay more.

After hearing about the numerous issues with the SE stick, I went with the TE. Amazon have reduced them bad boys to £100 so the price is a little easier to swallow.

What issues apart from the washer do you mean?

Low-quality/sticky/broken buttons; bad-quality microswitches in the stick; and in one instance, bad welding (the mounting plate fell off...)

The stick/buttons just feel like normal Sanwa clones to me. Sucks to hear about the mounting plate though, haha!

Cancelled off amazon and ordered the game off play.

I see the TE sticks have dropped to 100 pounds now ntb

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    The stick/buttons just feel like normal Sanwa clones to me. Sucks to hear about the mounting plate though, haha!
    Didn't bother trying out the stock buttons, I prefer Seimitsu/Crown any day (a bit stiffer).
    And thankfully, that wasn't my stick with a bad welding job; I just saw it on SRK :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Low-quality/sticky/broken buttons; bad-quality microswitches in the stick; and in one instance, bad welding (the mounting plate fell off...)
    And thankfully, that wasn't my stick with a bad welding job; I just saw it on SRK :D

Have you bought either or are you regurgitating opinions from other forums? And if so what would be a real litmus test is your experience vs. the majority of consumers here?

In my experience unless you're playing at a tournament level, the SE, or any standard stick will do ya.

From the casuals lately the only defining factor I've come across is skill, not what device the player is using.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mr_kyle

I know it has been mentioned that amazon are selling TEs for £100. But play.com also have then for £100 incase that interests anyone. Much better than £150 by any standard.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Your totally missing the point of the tournament stick A-Trak....its the best fighting stick for impressing the ladies! :cool:. I don't actually use mine for playing games.

• Advertisement

SF4 SE stick: Problem/Defect thread: 1000+ replies.
    The guy with the bad weld was in a different thread from the last few days.

And yes, I HAVE bought one; it's currently on-loan.
    Comparing the stock SE stick to a Sanwa JLF or Seimitu LS-56, I'll tell you that my SE feels more unresponsive; and IMO it's all to do with the lack of smooth springback from the microswitches, possibly due to badly-made plastic in the switches (they squeak from rubbing together).
    Haven't experienced that with Sanwa, Seimitsu or Crown (Korean) sticks.

As for the buttons, my PREFERENCE is towards Seimitsu PS-14 or Crown snap-ins, as they have just the right balance of sensitivity-to-touch; therefore, I didn't get to see how short the SE buttons last.
    Suffice to say, considering how quickly I broke my Hori FS2 back in the day...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

L31mr0d wrote:
    If you have the money spare for a TE and buying it won't leave a crater in your wallet then you might as well buy it.

The good news is the gap has narrowed in the cost between getting/modding a SE stick and getting a TE stick. I've wanted to get the TE stick since more batches began to reappear online, however it was tough for me to consider the cost of €175+ for a peripheral.

Both Amazon UK and Play.com now have TE sticks for approx. €130 including shipping, though Play.com are still charging full whack on the PS3 version for some reason. The SE stick goes for about €80-85 incl. shipping through Amazon UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

Azza wrote: »
    Your totally missing the point of the tournament stick A-Trak....its the best fighting stick for impressing the ladies! :cool:. I don't actually use mine for playing games.

The reason I like the TE stick is its size,I have big hands and the big surface area is great ,it gives me space,I have both of the hori basic models for ps3 and xbox(fs3 and ex2) and they're decent but tiny and I don't find them comfortable to play with.

The only other real alternative is a HRAP which is great but I don't think it's as good as the TE.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Leprekaun

The good news is the gap has narrowed in the cost between getting/modding a SE stick and getting a TE stick. I've wanted to get the TE stick since more batches began to reappear online, however it was tough for me to consider the cost of €175+ for a peripheral.

Both Amazon UK and Play.com now have TE sticks for approx. €130 including shipping, though Play.com are still charging full whack on the PS3 version for some reason. The SE stick goes for about €80-85 incl. shipping through Amazon UK.

Yeah, it seems Amazon are not selling much because I remember last week, the TE edition stick was selling for a bit more and now its cheaper again.

I wonder what next week's prices will be :). With the huge drops in price, I may consider getting a TE stick in a few weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Leprekaun

And actually, I think it might be better to get the TE stick now than getting an SE and modding it with Sanwa buttons as I checked a site recently and found 6 buttons + stick cost $40 (£20) so you'd pay £100 when you can just get the TE stick for the same amount but without the hassle of replacing buttons and stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭NeoKubrick

Is it possible to find a stick with the d-pad and second analogue stick on it, too?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,614 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

NeoKubrick wrote: »
    Is it possible to find a stick with the d-pad and second analogue stick on it, too?

Why would you want that? The 360 pad is fine for everything other than 2D fighters and shoot'em ups.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Azza wrote: »

You joke, but...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=60634825&postcount=901

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭NeoKubrick

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Why would you want that?

Take a guess.

• Advertisement

NeoKubrick wrote: »

No. But I think I know what you are getting at. On the TE (and I believe the SE) you have the option switching the stick between being the d-pad, left analogue and right analogue.

Advertisement