Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

http://www.no-spec.com

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

Interesting links there Baggio, thanks. Some v.good points made in those links which I experienced myself as a newbie to this area at one time (starting out).

After 4 hard years of training and bloody tough exams, it is refreshing to see a move (however contraversial it may seem to some people on the boards) towards a realisation that designers are profesionals and not just egotistical folks that refuse to work for free.

Granted I will happily help anyone out no prob at all. But I refuse to do it if I feel that it will undermine the profession. Also it is a learning experience for newbies to the profession to read these types of threads so that they can decide for themselves.

I do feel strongly about this, it is a v.valid point which I really feel is being missed. If some other folks feel just as adversely strongly then they should try spending 4yrs of hell trying to prove themselves before offering any type of critisism about freebies.

This is an interesting debate and I think it should take it's course, hopefully folks will realise this and add to it in their own way via opinion and experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Baggio...

Interesting links there Baggio, thanks. Some v.good points made in those links which I experienced myself as a newbie to this area at one time (starting out).

Thanks... I was the same too. As soon as people found out that I was a designer many of them would wanted stuff for free ("Ah sure, it's just a bit of doodling"). Admittedly, I fell for a few of the traps in my early days when I was trying to break into the industry so to speak. However, it didn't take me too long to realize just what was going on. Experience is a wonderful source of learning. :)
    I do feel strongly about this, it is a v.valid point which I really feel is being missed. If some other folks feel just as adversely strongly then they should try spending 4yrs of hell trying to prove themselves before offering any type of critisism about freebies.

I'm the same, I'm very passionate about the subject too, and I also trained hard in college. Most people simply don't understand what's involved in a creating process. They only see the end result which appears "simple" to the untrained eye. However, they don't realize that it can take many iterations to get something just right, and even when you feel it's spot on, the client has to have his or her say (more changes will inevitably follow and even more time is clocked up). So the process can be a very protracted affair even for an experienced designer.
    Granted I will happily help anyone out no prob at all. But I refuse to do it if I feel that it will undermine the profession.

Again, totally I'm with you... :) I've helped plenty of people out in the past as best I could. But I draw the line at helping people who just want something for nothing, and then simply don't appreciate it. I never considered myself aa "mercenary". I see nothing wrong with getting paid for what you do. Giving out free advise on a forum is not the same as sitting down to do a project where you devote considerable personal time and effort.

Alas, the Design industry is probably one of the only industries where people feel it's appropriate to ask for your personal time, and then get upset when you say "no", or ask about money. If any such poster tired that on another design forum - like creative Ireland for example. They'd be shot down very quickly, as it's something you just don't do. There should be no special revelations here either... Imagine what would happen if you went into a garage, and asked for a free "tune up" (no need to explain :)) - So why should we be an exception? Now, if you met a mechanic in the pub, or on a forum, and asked him for a bit of advise thats one thing. It's not comparable to him popping up to you gaff, and getting his overalls on and getting stuck into your car. That's just my opinion anyway...

Cheers,

B.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

This thread is obviously an attempt to continue the topic of the locked thread and has nothing to do with the links in the OP regarding 'spec' work which is a completely different subject.

I completely agree with LoLth's conclusion in the locked thread. The reason I stopped visiting this forum regularly is the attitude of some of the regulars here towards people asking for favours. I presume you all boycott the sig request thread, yea?

There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with anyone asking for a favour and there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with people saying yes. Hell it's not like has was from Bank of Ireland or somewhere asking for a new logo. It was for his MySpace page ffs. No one is making you work for nothing!

People who ask here for favours do not expect you to go and spend 3 days on the thing. They are looking for a few minutes of your time to help them out. If you don't want to give it then don't but there is no need to ram it down their throat every time which is what happens and what turn me (and others I'm sure) off the DA forum. There is a good reason this forum is one of the quietest on boards.ie.

Imagine if someone asked for help in the gardening forum and where told "ohh you'll have to pay me for that. I studied horticulture for 5 years y'a know! I can't be working for nothing" or any questions in the business forum were all met with "We're accountants here... we can't answer that for free. How dare you even ask!!!".

You are being asked to do a favour which is of no extra expense to your self the very same as every other forum on boards.ie so why is this the only forum where get met with this negative and often abusive response every time?

And by the way... there are plenty of people who would be willing to throw something together for free for these people if only they didn't feel they would be barrated with more abuse by all the 'pros' in here if they did.

I think if the mods made a 'Free Work' and 'Paid Work' sticky these forums would be a much more pleasant place to visit.

Scotty # wrote: »
    This thread is obviously an attempt to continue the topic of the locked thread and has nothing to do with the links in the OP regarding 'spec' work which is a completely different subject.

Hang on for a sec. Please read what I said.

"Some interesting info contained on this site for anyone who's interested, and operates as a Pro designer. More geared to working with companies... but still, you can apply the concepts to other areas of your work. Wont be of interest for some - that's fair enough..."

I'm really making the point about spec work here - I've no wish to continue the previous thread. The mod has made his point... even though I don't agree with his stance I will respect his decision.

The posters I'm more referring to, are guys form companies who pop up on various threads and ask for a freebie (lets leave the "little favors" aside for this thread). I'm not talking about the previous poster. Granted, I should have clarified that. So I apologize if anyone gets that vibe. However, lets now move away form the previous thread, and keep it about companies or people who want freebies when they have a budget (and not just a wee favour).

I wont be addressing the rest of your post. I don't feel that its relevant now as I've clarified my position.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Both the articles linked in the first post are very interesting and I agree with them, not only for designers but for most creative professions.

Why spend your time doing work on the off chance that you will be paid when you could be doing work with a definite list of requirements that you will definitely be paid for upon meeting those requirements. This works for architects, engineers, artists, designers.

But. having said that, competitions and no-spec work does have a purpose and does have a use. lets take an architect for example. its hard to make a name. its hard to make a reputation. it will be years before you have people seeking out your services in particular. Surely competitions etc are a good way to gain experience, to make a name for yourself and to get your name out into the public domain as well as earn experience creating and designing? ( I know an architect who set up her ocmpany doing exactly that while she worked for a more famous architect who had already made his reputation. possibly worth noting that any work she did was stamped with his name and was not recognised as her own work when she went tendering for contracts). I would see this as similar for anyone working in any of the creative professions.

so, yes, I agree with the articles for the established designer but I think it would be missing an opportunity for those starting out to not take part in a competition. While you work under someone else's reputation no-spec work can be a good way to flex the creative muscles with the possibility of reward (assuming your emplyer doesnt mind) or for th eup and coming not-yet established designer, competitions can be a good way to get your name known while padding out your portfolio.

ps. I appreciate also that while this is similar to the other thread, this topic is not in fact directly related to it and touches on a completely different aspect. this relates to work with the possibility or reward rather than the other thread which was specifically work without reward beyond the product itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

OK OK... sorry.

Hmmm, I don't really see a huge amount of difference between a company with a budget and in individual requesting free work to be carried out. I wouldn't consider either of these 'spec' work though. If these people want to take the 'free' route where they get work finished to an unprofessional standard and where they possibly don't even own the copyright, then let them. There are some very good amateur designers who do it purely on a recreational basis though and these may be willing to work for the fun of it.

Spec work, to me, is work you do specifically with the aim of it bringing in paid work. My business is related to the construction industry and I spend many hours a week filling quotes and pricing tenders that I know I may never hear from again. 'FREE ESTIMATES' or 'FREE NO OBLIGATION QUOTATION'. This is text you often see on ads for various businesses and it's also what I would consider spec work. Many many businesses, including my own, will often offer free samples of our products in the hope that it will bring in more sales. This again to me is spec work so I don't think it's anything unique to the Design industry. In my business we employ a price structure which allows us to do this 'free' work and still make a profit which of course means it's not free at all. Someone else pays for it in the long run. If every single enquiry or quote I spent time on actually turned into a sale I'd be out the door and in turn could afford to charge less.

So should designers "say NO to SPEC work"?... no, I don't think so. I think spec work in one form or another is part and parcel of most businesses. If you don't offer it there are plenty who will. I can't speak for your business but I know mine would certainly suffer if I refused to do certain things for 'free'.

Personally, if I want a logo made and look at two design companies websites, one offering to send me two no obligation drafts and the other not.... I know which one I'd be emailing.

If these people want to take the 'free' route where they get work finished to an unprofessional standard and where they possibly don't even own the copyright, then let them. There are some very good amateur designers who do it purely on a recreational basis though and these may be willing to work for the fun of it. .

Abosultey... again you get what you pay for.

I'm sure, as you said, that there are a few good amateurs out there. But I think most of them, even if they love it, would still like to be thrown a few quid. In fact I'd say thed even love it a bit more. :) Personally, I would always offer to pay someone for any work they'd do for me (regardless of the industry). But that's just me...
    Personally, if I want a logo made and look at two design companies websites, one offering to send me two no obligation drafts and the other not.... I know which one I'd be emailing.

Generally though, the better designers/agencies wont do that. So if you're after, in many cases, lower quality of work than that's fair enough - especially if money is a concern. I suppose like every other industry, you get what you pay for (as I said or should in theory).

There's a couple of reasons not to do spec work and the like... On show, there will be a companies portfolio, and form that, you should be able to decide if they are the right standard and style for you (or your company). So form their perspective - you have everything you need to see... If you have questions about certain aspects of certain work then of course you'd speak to someone, etc.

To equate it to another industry... Sure, you'd give someone a quote and relevant info' (try and work out a decent deal, etc). Lets say, if you built conservatories for a living, more than likely you can get a lad to come out to you house. Assess the situation and then quote you "x" amount. But what they wont do is start any type of work for you. That's what a pitch is for us... it would be the equivalent of someone starting work on a project that has nothing agreed. Risky at the best of times...

Secondly, most people have a number of projects going at any given time... So if you for example start working on a pitch, that will take away valuable time from other deadlines. If you offer a pitch in effect you could be in for quite a lot of work. Think of it this way, if I spend "X" amount of time on a certain pitch, for all I now they could have another 5 designers that are looking for a piece. I have no way of knowing how much time I should spend on it. it's an east trap to get stuck in - you'd feel that you have to spend more and more time on it just to compete. Then before you know it, you've put a lot of work in, and "hey presto" another designer may get the contract.
    LoLth wrote: »
    having said that, competitions and no-spec work does have a purpose and does have a use. lets take an architect for example. its hard to make a name. its hard to make a reputation. it will be years before you have people seeking out your services in particular. Surely competitions etc are a good way to gain experience

I can't really speak from an Architects view point in fairness. But competitions are not all that high profile in our field, and in all honesty I can see them doing much for someones rep. However, it does depend on the motivations of who's is holding the competitions and how big they are, etc.

Spec Work for experience... Well, I think most of us have done a bit of this at the beginning. Again you'd really have to look at the motivations of the company doing it.

At the end of the day everyone has the right to do "spec work" if they want to. I got out of that trap very early on and I'm glad I did... Unfortunately, and it's recognized throughout the industry, that there are a lot of nasty guys out there - who often use these methods to take advantage of the inexperienced. It's an interesting topic all the same.

I like this guys stance on the issue:

http://www.davidairey.com/spec-work-in-graphic-design/

Baggio... wrote: »
    Abosultey... again you get what you pay for.

I'm sure, as you said, that there are a few good amateurs out there. But I think most of them, even if they love it, would still like to be thrown a few quid. In fact I'd say thed even love it a bit more. :) Personally, I would always offer to pay someone for any work they'd do for me (regardless of the industry). But that's just me...

Generally though, the better designers/agencies wont do that. So if you're after, in many cases, lower quality of work than that's fair enough - especially if money is a concern. I suppose like every other industry, you get what you pay for (as I said or should in theory).

There's a couple of reasons not to do spec work and the like... On show, there will be a companies portfolio, and form that, you should be able to decide if they are the right standard and style for you (or your company). So form their perspective - you have everything you need to see... If you have questions about certain aspects of certain work then of course you'd speak to someone, etc.

To equate it to another industry... Sure, you'd give someone a quote and relevant info' (try and work out a decent deal, etc). Lets say, if you built conservatories for a living, more than likely you can get a lad to come out to you house. Assess the situation and then quote you "x" amount. But what they wont do is start any type of work for you. That's what a pitch is for us... it would be the equivalent of someone starting work on a project that has nothing agreed. Risky at the best of times...

Secondly, most people have a number of projects going at any given time... So if you for example start working on a pitch, that will take away valuable time from other deadlines. If you offer a pitch in effect you could be in for quite a lot of work. Think of it this way, if I spend "X" amount of time on a certain pitch, for all I now they could have another 5 designers that are looking for a piece. I have no way of knowing how much time I should spend on it. it's an east trap to get stuck in - you'd feel that you have to spend more and more time on it just to compete. Then before you know it, you've put a lot of work in, and "hey presto" another designer may get the contract.

I can't really speak from an Architects view point in fairness. But competitions are not all that high profile in our field, and in all honesty I can see them doing much for someones rep. However, it does depend on the motivations of who's is holding the competitions and how big they are, etc.

Spec Work for experience... Well, I think most of us have done a bit of this at the beginning. Again you'd really have to look at the motivations of the company doing it.

At the end of the day everyone has the right to do "spec work" if they want to. I got out of that trap very early on and I'm glad I did... Unfortunately, and it's recognized throughout the industry, that there are a lot of nasty guys out there - who often use these methods to take advantage of the inexperienced. It's an interesting topic all the same.

I like this guys stance on the issue:

http://www.davidairey.com/spec-work-in-graphic-design/
    I think that a lot of valuable information has been put up by Baggios links (having read them all and added them to my favourites) for further reference and advise to others. Excellent stuff there Baggio and a great attitude as well from your good self, kudos to you.

I also feel that a lot of newbies to the design area who are v.good at what they do (after 4yrs of training) will have concerns about what to charge, and indeed will want to know how to continue in said design profession after leaving college and stepping into the 'Wolves Den' I.e. the world of Business.

From personal experience newbies do get exploited more than one might think (If they let it happen). A real world experience I have had is: I worked for a company in the early days, it was admittedly work experience and a foot in the door type of thing. I actually lost money by doing this work because I wanted to build my confidence and get said experience.

I guess we will all have to do this as a self proving exercise as designers starting out as newbies. thats all well and good but if your 'worth your salt' so to speak then you need to up the anti and ask for your worth after this start period.

I set a time frame for myself I.e. the work experience pay lasted 3months by an unwritten contract. I was offered further work after this and said fair enough, I would love to work on for you guys, But I requested double the pay plus expenses, accomadation and travel and even got paid double for working at home for some of the time.

This just goes to show that a designers work is v.valuable, But it also is open to less confident folks than myself to be exploited due to lack of said confidence. (I was lucky enough to work with a decent bunch of guys who valued my work and paid out for work) We are talking thousands of euros here that was paid to me but it was peanuts compared to the investment involved in the company (7 million at the last count (big eco business)) on company development. They had no prob paying it out because the payback for the company was quite a lot.

They are now as far as I know a growing business, I feel absolutely priveleged for having the experience of working for them (great people). My portfolio will grow by them hopefully.

Ok that is my real life work that went well.

I think and hope that the debate and professed experience on this thread will help others starting out in this design biz get started in a positive way. I'm sure lot's of more helpful advice will be given as such.

I think that a lot of valuable information has been put up by Baggios links (having read them all and added them to my favourites) for further reference and advise to others. Excellent stuff there Baggio and a great attitude as well from your good self, kudos to you.

Thanks! I apreciate the feedback. :) In fairness, the guys on "no spec" can articulate the augment much better than I could.

I take Scotty's points on board, and on the surface it seems okay to ask for free draft. But digging a little deeper, and then examining the process, and just what's involved it's not all that practical. The industry couldn't really function like that. Luckily it doesn't, and most of the decent firms (and freelancers) will not engage in it.

Spec Work probably works better where a company is very sizable, and they are pitching for big contracts which involve lots of cash. My old firm used to do this... however, were were all getting paid regardless, and if things were slow they'd always want us to be doing something... I can kinda' see the logic in that. Not much point in paying people to sit and do nothing all day.

On the other hand, "Spec Work" is a poor choice for a freelancer, or small company (for the reasons I stated in one of my earlier posts). Over the years I've been asked to do lots of it - with the further promise of big Contracts or future employment. In later years after gaining industry experience - I have always refused politely. And simply directed people to my portfolio... the ones that are serious call back. The ones that don't, are probably looking for cheaper work, and f course that's there prerogative to do so.
    I set a time frame for myself I.e. the work experience pay lasted 3months by an unwritten contract. I was offered further work after this and said fair enough, I would love to work on for you guys, But I requested double the pay plus expenses, accomadation and travel and even got paid double for working at home for some of the time.

Nice - That's the way to do it!...:) It's great that things worked out for you. A lot of my mates have been treated very badly in the past. Myself included... So I know exactly what you mean though - when you are trying to "find you feet" you don't really know what your actually worth. It's one thing they can't really teach you in college either... :( After a while though, you begin to see the big picture. Now I've got to a point where I know exactly what I'm worth to a company, and I can call the shots to a certain extent. It's one thing they can't really teach you in college... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Not really wanting to bring up stuff from a thread that was locked for a reason I just want to clear up that I have no issue with people doing work for free, I've done plenty of it myself over the years for various reasons but there needs to be some guidelines set down by the mods of the forum when posting asking for work like that. Posting asking for sig requests is pretty clear and easy as they are normally to be used on boards and are usually just for a fun. Posting for art work for your band is slightly different.

Those posts usually go along the lines of "hey here's random link to our bands web page, can someone create a poster/logo/cd art etc etc" That's not alot to go on to be honest. There needs to be some posting guidelines that people post direct links to their music [going to use a band as an example as it's one of the more common requests] so your not spending ages digging through myspace/bebo/facebook/etc pages. They should be able to describe their band and it's musical style and if possible link to other art work/logos/gig posters etc that they like. Artists shouldn't create out of a vacuum and having requests that offer little to no input for you to work from can be annoying. People can argue that they'll give that information if someone replies or PM's them but honestly it should be there to start with, not all designers work in the same style and one might be more suited then another.

It's this misconception that design work is so easy and you just pull things out of your ass that annoys me most not people asking for stuff for free. If you want someone to put some effort into creating something for you then make a little effort when asking for it and write more then two lines. There's been a lack of moderation on the forum for a bit now to be honest.

Keeping more on topic with this thread coming from an animation/comics background I'm very anti spec work just cus I've seen too many people screwed over in the past few years doing work and not getting paid [including myself I must admit]. In alot cases it can be put down to their own fault for doing the work but it's such a tough industry alot people are afraid to piss a possible client off by refusing. If a company wants to do spec-work let them off, they'll have to pay their designers anyway but anyone working freelance who does spec work I think is being a bit foolish, what's the point of your portfolio? A client should be able to tell your style from your book and know if your right for what they want. I linked to this in the other thread but worth linking again as it's some very basic but sound advice for working freelance.

• Advertisement

ztoical wrote: »
    Keeping more on topic with this thread coming from an animation/comics background I'm very anti spec work just cus I've seen too many people screwed over in the past few years doing work and not getting paid [including myself I must admit]. In alot cases it can be put down to their own fault for doing the work but it's such a tough industry alot people are afraid to piss a possible client off by refusing. If a company wants to do spec-work let them off, they'll have to pay their designers anyway but anyone working freelance who does spec work I think is being a bit foolish, what's the point of your portfolio? A client should be able to tell your style from your book and know if your right for what they want. I linked to this in the other thread but worth linking again as it's some very basic but sound advice for working freelance.

Very interesting link...Thanks. I also work as a freelance artist from time to time (I was originally trained as a classical animator) - although, over the years I have diversified in order to capture more clients, plus I like designing stuff too. :)

Although, I've got to say "artists" probably get a worse deal than designers from my experiance. I could tell you guys some horror stories that have happened to personal friends of mine. I've also been stung myself... (a great learning experience at least).

I had one of my mates recently who's been refused to be paid 2000 euro - taking these people to court not an option (realistically). The costs and time that goes into it - it's not really worth it at the end of the day. I had another mate of mine that literally "camped" outside a company so she could see the manager, in order to get what was owed- she spent so much time trying to get paid from them - it was hardly worth it in the end.

When I'm approached for artwork - I always ask for some money up front. Then and only then, will I commence the storyboards (if it's an animated piece for example). I will only work when the client "signs off" on these S.boards. However, I usually get at least 50% before I hand anything over - source files, etc (not the sketches obviously). After I send them everything I ask for the rest of the payment... If they default on this, which is rare especially if you are aware of the typical "Red Flags", then at least you cover your costs. How you decide to get you money back is another issue.

Unfortunately, one of the best ways to learn about company shenanigans is actually having a bad experience...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

I had one of my mates recently who's been refused to be paid 2000 euro - taking these people to court not an option (realistically). The costs and time that goes into it - it's not really worth it at the end of the day. I had another mate of mine that literally "camped" outside a company so she could see the manager, in order to get what was owed- she spent so much time trying to get paid from them - it was hardly worth it in the end.

It can be hard to go after some companies for money owed in Ireland cus it's such a small country you have to worry about getting a bad rep, you shouldn't as your owed the money and it's their fault for not paying you but you can be made to feel like the bad guy. Animation is very bad for this, I was owed over 1000 for 8+ months from one studio but had to just keep asking nicely and waiting for it as the industry is so small and more then likely your going to end up working for the same studio again at some point [which I did but made sure I was paid before leaving second time]. A different studio refused to pay me for a week of work on a pitch they were doing for a tv series. When they didn't get the contract they said they weren't going to pay me. Nothing to do with me if they got the contract or not, I was hired to do a job and I did it. Really wasn't worth the effort it took to get paid in the end.
    Unfortunately, one of the best ways to learn about company shenanigans is actually having a bad experience...

It is sad to say but that is so true.

ztoical wrote: »
    Not really wanting to bring up stuff from a thread that was locked for a reason I just want to clear up that I have no issue with people doing work for free, I've done plenty of it myself over the years for various reasons but there needs to be some guidelines set down by the mods of the forum when posting asking for work like that. Posting asking for sig requests is pretty clear and easy as they are normally to be used on boards and are usually just for a fun. Posting for art work for your band is slightly different.

Those posts usually go along the lines of "hey here's random link to our bands web page, can someone create a poster/logo/cd art etc etc" That's not alot to go on to be honest. There needs to be some posting guidelines that people post direct links to their music [going to use a band as an example as it's one of the more common requests] so your not spending ages digging through myspace/bebo/facebook/etc pages. They should be able to describe their band and it's musical style and if possible link to other art work/logos/gig posters etc that they like. Artists shouldn't create out of a vacuum and having requests that offer little to no input for you to work from can be annoying. People can argue that they'll give that information if someone replies or PM's them but honestly it should be there to start with, not all designers work in the same style and one might be more suited then another.

It's this misconception that design work is so easy and you just pull things out of your ass that annoys me most not people asking for stuff for free. If you want someone to put some effort into creating something for you then make a little effort when asking for it and write more then two lines. There's been a lack of moderation on the forum for a bit now to be honest.

Great link there ztoical, I added this to the favourites as well for reference.

Advertisement