Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Cro Cop/UFC saga continues

Options
  • 03-07-2009 7:45pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.fightersonlymagazine.co.uk/news/viewarticle.php?id=2700&offset=0

03/07/09 - Report: CroCop signing for UFC after getting "offer he cannot refuse"

UFC co-owner Lorenzo Fertitta has made Mirko 'CroCop' Filipovic "an offer he cannot refuse", according to a Croatian news portal.

Fertitta arrived in Zagreb, Croatia on a private plane this morning and proceeded straight to Filipovic's residence where the pair engaged in two hours of talks, according to Index.hr

"A source tells us that CroCop got an offer that is simply non-refusable," the article states. "CroCop will almost certainly look at the returning to the strongest MMA league in the world currently knows."

The news is surprising, not least because UFC president Dana White gave Filipovic a broadside when it was reported the Croatian had signed for Japanese promotion DREAM immediately after UFC 99.

But in an appearance on ESPN 1100 this week, it was put to White that Filipovic had "asked him not to be too harsh" in the press, a cryptic hint that there was more to the behind-the-scenes negotiations than have been apparent. White replied - equally crypitcally - "You're pretty good."

Filipovic had responded to the reports of the DREAM signing by saying nothing was yet determined, but pointed out he wanted to fight at intervals of less than six months, something the UFC had apparently not offered him.

But Index.hr is reporting that the UFC is offering Filipovic more favourable terms. This could include an agreement to offer him more frequent fights than were previously on the table.

Neither Filipovic nor the UFC has publicly commented on any new deal and Fighters Only is currently contacting European sources to try and find out more on today's report.

Filipovic is coming off a win over Mostapha Al-Turk at UFC 99 in Germany last month, his first fight for the organisation since 2007.

As good as Mirko is or was the primary factor in this has to be healing Dana's ego after Mirko got one up on him after UFC 99. But a serious case can be made it seems as Mirko got an additional one up (a two up? :p) by getting an even better offer from UFC.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

An offer he couldn't refuse? I wonder if Lorenzo's father's alleged mafia links were involved :pac:

It was reported in the Wrestling Observer that Cro Cop texted Dana asking him not to be too harsh because of him being part of the Croatian government and if it came out that he was a liar the opposition would use it against him

I find it hard to believe Mirko's story about not being offered a fight for six months, because the UFC didn't have a main event for September at the time, as well as other cards before the end of the year. He could have easily fitted in somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Fozzy wrote: »
    An offer he couldn't refuse? I wonder if Lorenzo's father's alleged mafia links were involved :pac:

It was reported in the Wrestling Observer that Cro Cop texted Dana asking him not to be too harsh because of him being part of the Croatian government and if it came out that he was a liar the opposition would use it against him

I find it hard to believe Mirko's story about not being offered a fight for six months, because the UFC didn't have a main event for September at the time, as well as other cards before the end of the year. He could have easily fitted in somewhere
    Didnt Mirkos parilment duties end almost 2 years ago?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

True but it is likely he is still involved in politics and would likely return to it when his career in MMA is done.

That's what I thought, but Dave Meltzer, who writes the Wrestling Observer, talks to Dana regularly and is good friends with Joe Silva, so that's what he must have been told by one of them. I'd say that it's more likely that Cro Cop still has some sort of political duties or that he lied to Dana than Dana making that part up

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I've seen all Cro Cop's Ufc fights and dont know why they would bend over for him. He hasn't performed well in the Ufc. I'd rather see someone like Lashley get offered a contract.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

GSPfan wrote: »
    I've seen all Cro Cop's Ufc fights and dont know why they would bend over for him. He hasn't performed well in the Ufc. I'd rather see someone like Lashley get offered a contract.
    Because they are hoping he will hit his old Pride form

Like they were hoping Wanderlei Silva would, and like they were hoping Dan Henderson would. I just don't see it happening. But I've been wrong once or twice!! Maybe just the once.:o

*remembers Silva vs Jardine*
    Ah If only that continued :(

Because they are hoping he will hit his old Pride form

Nah if this story is true it would be more for UFC's continuing European expansion.

rovert wrote: »
    Nah if this story is true it would be more for UFC's continuing European expansion.
    what story?? forget a link?

• Advertisement

what story?? forget a link?

The one in the OP...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Like they were hoping Wanderlei Silva would, and like they were hoping Dan Henderson would. I just don't see it happening. But I've been wrong once or twice!! Maybe just the once.:o

I thought Henderson has done well, debatable loss against Rampage, subbed by Anderson Silva and beat his other opponents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I'd like to see cro cop do well and get back on form, just didnt impress me at all against al turk.

Hard to say how he'd get on with some of the other HW's in ufc right now, but i really did feel that going back to Dream was not a good move for him.
    Didn't they have him set to fight mighty mo @ dream 10? There are much better fights for him than that.

calex71 wrote: »
    Didn't they have him set to fight mighty mo @ dream 10? There are much better fights for him than that.

There is but that isnt how Japanese MMA really works.

I thought Henderson has done well, debatable loss against Rampage, subbed by Anderson Silva and beat his other opponents.

I agree. I just think the UFC thought he would be knocking them two out. Same goes for Cro Cop. They show videos of him kicking peoples head off and talk about how brilliant he is but we haven't seen it......YET.

There is but that isnt how Japanese MMA really works.

Well said.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Cro-cop is done - I'm amazed the UFC are chasing him.

Maybe the ufc are setting him up...:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Cro cop has a huge fan base and still brings alot to the table. I really hope he signs with the ufc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

I actually think the best fights for crocop are outside the UFC

Arloski
    Tim Sylvia
    barnett
    fedor (:|)
    overeem
    schilt

with the exception of fedor they are all big names crocop is likely to beat

I think the relatively minor names in UFC hw will beat crocop as Gabe and Kongo already have

Cain velasquez
    shane carwin

having said that, maybe fights with randy and big nog would be competitive as would hardonk.

how he matches up with Mir and Lesnar I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

I actually think the best fights for crocop are outside the UFC

Arloski
    Tim Sylvia
    barnett
    fedor (:|)
    overeem
    schilt

with the exception of fedor they are all big names crocop is likely to beat

I think the relatively minor names in UFC hw will beat crocop as Gabe and Kongo already have

Cain velasquez
    shane carwin

having said that, maybe fights with randy and big nog would be competitive as would hardonk.

how he matches up with Mir and Lesnar I don't know.

The best matches for him are inside the UFC IMO. Forrest Griffin, Lyoto Machida, Rampage Jackson. He should cut to 205, Forrest does and weighs 20 lbs heavier than him.

• Advertisement

The best matches for him are inside the UFC IMO. Forrest Griffin, Lyoto Machida, Rampage Jackson. He should cut to 205, Forrest does and weighs 20 lbs heavier than him.

Forrest weighs 253lbs?

I don't think that Cro Cop would want to cut weight. I'm sure that I've heard him talk about how it's the heavyweight title that he specifically wants, and I think that he's got a better chance of a title in the heavyweight division

Not that I think he'll come close to winning a title though

Well said.

Do you what another "PRIDE was really a Pro Wrestling promotion" speech? :pac:

Since it's just been mentioned, I've got to mention that I recently read some very long posts by Dave Meltzer on the Wrestling Classics forum from 2003 where he explained exactly why PRIDE fighters were included in the Best Pro Wrestler awards. I found it extremely interesting (as an MMA fan) to hear more about exactly how PRIDE was viewed in Japan

Please no :eek: somebody please think of the children lol

Since it's just been mentioned, I've got to mention that I recently read some very long posts by Dave Meltzer on the Wrestling Classics forum from 2003 where he explained exactly why PRIDE fighters were included in the Best Pro Wrestler awards. I found it extremely interesting (as an MMA fan) to hear more about exactly how PRIDE was viewed in Japan

Fozzy I came across the exact same thread this week how weird is that? It was interesting to hear that UFC once placed in the Pro Wrestling category early on and PRIDE was advertised in the States as Pro Wrestling until 2003.

In relation to this thread I’m mostly referring to something Mike Coughlin said on the difference between how the US and Japan often differ in match making in that the US companies put the best vs the best on a continual basis while Japanese companies often put the best fighters against lower level competition (aka jobbers to use the Wrestling expression) to build them up.

Fozzy I came across the exact same thread this week how weird is that? It was interesting to hear that UFC once placed in the Pro Wrestling category early on and PRIDE was advertised in the States as Pro Wrestling until 2003.

In relation to this thread I’m mostly referring to something Mike Coughlin said on the difference between how the US and Japan often differ in match making in that the US companies put the best vs the best on a continual basis while Japanese companies often put the best fighters against lower level competition (aka jobbers to use the Wrestling expression) to build them up.

Mike missed Randy Vs Brock that should have been Randy Vs Nog i guess :D he's right though but they got eggs in the face re: Kid at the last Dream didnt they :D:D

Mike missed Randy Vs Brock that should have been Randy Vs Nog i guess :D he's right though but they got eggs in the face re: Kid at the last Dream didnt they :D:D

Nog was already booked in a fight coming off of 12 weeks of tv building it up. They could hardly scrap that fight for the sake of Randy

KID Yamamoto's next fight is another build up fight. Can't remember his opponent, but it's a K-1 fight. Masato is fighting the same night and the idea is that they'll both win and fight each other on the New Years Eve show. We'll see :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I agree. I just think the UFC thought he would be knocking them two out. Same goes for Cro Cop. They show videos of him kicking peoples head off and talk about how brilliant he is but we haven't seen it......YET.
    You genuinely believe the UFC thought "Decision Dan" would be KOing Rampage & Silva :confused:

KID Yamamoto's next fight is another build up fight. Can't remember his opponent, but it's a K-1 fight. Masato is fighting the same night and the idea is that they'll both win and fight each other on the New Years Eve show. We'll see :pac:

Been looking forward to this event , its next week :)

Masato is taking on Kawajiri in i assume K1 rules?
    Kid is fighting Jae Hee Cheon

• Advertisement

You genuinely believe the UFC thought "Decision Dan" would be KOing Rampage & Silva :confused:
    Yes

Advertisement