Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Audi a3 problem with revolutions.

• 03-07-2009 8:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭

Please help:eek:

Just bought a new audi a3 and getting it checked over for an nct test next tuesday. A friend who was a mechanic checking over says all is fine but one thing.

For the nct test, the revs have to stay at 2,500 to test the emissions.

The revs in my car jump from 1,500 to 3,000 and it's not possible to keep it around 2,500.

what could be the cause of this:confused:

All he told me is something about an electric accelorator instead of a cable one. I don't know who to bring it to. I tried another mechanic and he doesn't have any idea what's the problem.

I feel stupid for buying a car without nct now. it's all doing my head in :mad:

Help please:(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

It could be a fault with the pedal sender. All modern Audis are 'fly by wire'. Realistically, you'll need to have the values returned by the pedal sensor analysed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭jaffa20

crosstownk wrote: »
    It could be a fault with the pedal sender. All modern Audis are 'fly by wire'. Realistically, you'll need to have the values returned by the pedal sensor analysed.

i really hope it's that simple. I'm bringing it to vw expert (more or less same as audi) on monday so hope to get it fixed for the nct. If not, i'll run it through the nct anyway and see what happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

Is this a 1.6 with AVU engine code, probably year 2000?
    Does the car drive ok?
    There are no fault codes stored?
    It will hold steady revs at 4k ish?

If yes to all the above, then its a reasonably common issue. Dont go spending loads on it to try and fix it as there is nothing wrong **.
    In the UK they check emissions at just over 4000rpm on this engine to get around the problem.
    I only ever saw one in Ireland. The NCT centre were not accepting that there was an issue and I sent the customer off to contact NCT technicial. Never heard how they got on. I am sure google would throw up some info on this.

**difficult to say online that there is no other fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭anon11

Most vw, audi, skoda 1.6's with drive by wire, the emissions need to be checked with headlights switched on, rear window demistor etc to put a load on the battery:) Thats the only way you'll be able to hold 2-3k revs;)

anon11 wrote: »
    Most vw, audi, skoda 1.6's with drive by wire, the emissions need to be checked with headlights switched on, rear window demistor etc to put a load on the battery:) Thats the only way you'll be able to hold 2-3k revs;)

OMG, i hope you are right. I will check that out today. Hopefully it will work. Surely the guys will know that during the nct.:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭anon11

Yes the nct are aware of this its perfectly normal:)

Yep guys,you were right cause i was up at the nct centre this morning just to make sure. Weird that all the mechanics i was talking to had never heard of this. Just hope all is well enough to pass now. I'm happy it wasn't serious. I love my new car :D

Thanks guys.

Advertisement