Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weed

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

rubadub wrote: »
    Same as alcohol at present. You can brew beer or wine at home for your own consumption but it is illegal to sell it without a licence. People growing at home would not be taxed. Large operations would be raided like illegal distillation plants. Street sellers would be treated the same as people selling cigarettes or alcohol on the street.

Beer or wine at home. I remember this in the 80's...everyone did it for a month, no-one drank the results, everyone went back to the pub. No-one would dream of selling it (and less of buying it)...the only illegally brewed stuff that sells here is clear spirit in counterfeit vodka bottles.
    Large operations are already raided and there are high mandatory sentences for those caught now cultivating weed....in the light of a legal market, do you need to up the already draconian penalties for large scale growers? Make it a life sentence?
    It's like diesel in the border areas...there is any amount of the stuff legally available on any forecourt at an arguably fair price, much of which is made up of tax....criminal gangs will wash un-dutied diesel and go to a lot of trouble doing it for the money and run the high risks involved. Never underestimate the willingness of people to avoid taxes...

As for people selling fags on the street? How are they currently dealt with....the only people I see getting doen for it are the lorry drivers with millions of fags.
    The majority of people buy their cigarettes & booze in shops, most are simply not bothered doing it themselves and would not trust a blackmarket supply. I would hate to have to buy my spirits illegally, even if they were half the price or less, it is not worth the risk or bother. I don't think I ever heard of anybody I know growing tobacco to smoke it, though you can buy the plants (though I presume it does need more post curing care).

Alcohol and tobacco aren't fair comparisons (even though it was me that brought them up) because for both those legal drugs there is an already established supply and sale chain, regulated market, etc. and at least with tobacco, any financial return does not make it worthwhile.
    With an emergent legalised product where hitherto both production and supply was "underground", those are/were the established means of supply and would probably continue to be in the face of the legal alternative priced at a non-competitive figure... and that's the key IMO; the pricing level...we all know how much ciggies and booze have added on in taxes, smae thing would happen weed, no doubt.

BTW there is a market for illegal booze and people do buy it...ironic really when you can just go to the North and buy the real thing for not much more. I never have and never would but people do....just like they do with other drugs such as the recent emergence of fake tamiflu alongside all the other scrip stuff widely available online.

The price of drink & tobacco is structured like that. I think you might overestimate how many would be willing to grow on a continual basis rather than have the convenience of buying it. Many growers do it as a last resort, to ensure it is fully pure, I now suspect it will be contaminated with the various synthetic cannabinoids.

What you will probably get is people growing small scale grows providing a close circle of friends. The difference with booze & smoke is that it is easily stashed. Like in holland you can buy in one coffee shop, go to another and smoke it there, as long as you buy some food or smoke there too it is pretty much tolerated.

I think many will do it once and soon give up, it is a interesting hobby, like many lads I know have brewed beer once or twice in the past but never do it now.

Personally I'd rather buy it too....but as above that is completely dependent on price. Right now I buy it illegally and let someone else take the risk of growing it. In the event of legalisation I'd probably grow it since A) the price is likely to go up even over what is being paid now and B) since it is no longer illegal to grow, or else C) buy it from someone I know who already grows it...in either B or C, no tax/VAT revenue is forthcoming.
    Your point on small circle of friends growing (that is already a current means of supply)....we get back to the point of how exactly you impose tax on that market...do you just hope that people get a social conscience and declare any and all transactions and profit?

Yes, and with the risk of contamination I think people will pay the extra few € for quality products, just like they buy other drugs from a chemist or authorised outlet. People don't even trust takeaway vans etc, and many will be loyal to certain brands. John Player Green;)

In fairness the risk of contamination is negligible alongside illegal alcohol production.
    Drugs from chemists...in the event that I need them I will always try for the generic drug if at all possible...brands don't do it for me when it comes to chemicals. I know branding is a very important element of any market and like any other smoker I have my brand of fags and that's it, even though they're really all the same and they all kill you just as quickly.
    Takeaway vans aren't a good example really...perhaps a better analogy would be take away food and proper restaurant food...which usually again comes down to the pricing level determining who eats where.

Having experience of both I would say making high quality alcohol is far, far easier, and you can easily make a far superior product that commercially available alcohol. It has a far higher potential output in the same square footage used to to grow a single plant you could easily turnout 50x700ml bottles of 40% high quality vodka in just over a week (€1000 worth at offy prices). I would say the alcohol distillation is a far safer process too, there some myths still surrounding it, like the blindness one. A single glass of unfermented apple juice would be more likely to blind you than the entire 50 bottles I mentioned. Home distillation is legal in a few countries, and rightly so, a good alternative to having to drink the commercial poison out there.

I have nothing but anecdotal experience of either, but some of the people I know who grow aren't the brightest but still manage to get it right..and if they don't the product is still not a dangerous one. Are you seriously telling me that someone illegally producing and distilling spirits that wasn't fully aware of what they were doing couldn't seriously poison others? Methanol isn't difficult to extract from ethanol if you have the right equipment and knowledge...but what if you don't? Methanol blindness is a myth? http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1771266
    2nd hit on google.
    Anyway this is all way OT...I was trying to compare the taxable legal staus of two recreational drugs Vs a third illegal drug that would still IMO be difficult to effectively tax.

That is a point I have brought up in many of these threads. Many illogically presume that people will drink the exact same amount and take these drugs ontop of their usual alcohol amount, and so "make things even worse". I do think people would drink less, and see it as a good thing. The gov will put up a supposed campaign for sensible drinking, but I wonder if they really do want it.

I see people drinking less as a good thing too (I am NOT anti-alcohol), but I'm not the one making 100s of millions in revenue from the domestic alcohol market. If I were I would feel that legalising a competitive substance, that was (possibly) more difficult to regulate and tax was probably not a wise move.
    Of course were I in that position I'd be able to see that the fall in alcohol consumption and the problems it causes would lead to a drop in the number of public order arrests, random serious assaults, A&E admissions, subsequent health problems, loss in productivity through missed days, anti social behaviour, teen pregnancy etc etc would be worth the fall in the tax takes.

Anyways like I said I'm all for legal status...it's just that realistically, it's a very difficult system to impose and make money from...it's certainly not as easy as we'd all like to think...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Wertz wrote: »
    Beer or wine at home. I remember this in the 80's...everyone did it for a month, no-one drank the results, everyone went back to the pub. No-one would dream of selling it (and less of buying it)
    Yes, people did it to save a bit of money in the recession in the 80's. I brewed in the 90's as it was still cheap, all we were concerned with was getting pissed cheaply, so people lashed in extra sugar to make it stronger. But it came out manky. Similarly I expect people will try growing once or twice and go back to the pub/coffeeshop, its a short lived hobby, tending a small grow takes some time. A small minority will continue to make stuff better than commercially available- check out the discussions in the beer/wine/spirits forum, homebrewing is still popular but most doing it are making a very good product. Most beginners attempting growing weed take all sorts of shortcuts usually resulting in a poorer product than commercial operations produce.
    the only illegally brewed stuff that sells here is clear spirit in counterfeit vodka bottles.
    Large operations are already raided and there are high mandatory sentences for those caught now cultivating weed....in the light of a legal market, do you need to up the already draconian penalties for large scale growers? Make it a life sentence?
    If it was legal I would actually have have nothing against the high penalties. The penalty, like with counterfeit vodka, is not really about producing drugs (except for lack of quality control), but mainly the penalty is for tax evasion, which I do view as a serious crime.

As for people selling fags on the street? How are they currently dealt with....the only people I see getting doen for it are the lorry drivers with millions of fags
    But also the main drug hauls you hear of are for lorry/boat loads, not much on all the street dealers or lads in oxegen with a quarter. I expect they get tobacco confiscated & fined on the street. I remember they used to sell it very openly on moore street, not nearly as much now.
    With an emergent legalised product where hitherto both production and supply was "underground", those are/were the established means of supply and would probably continue to be in the face of the legal alternative priced at a non-competitive figure... and that's the key IMO; the pricing level...we all know how much ciggies and booze have added on in taxes, smae thing would happen weed, no doubt.
    AFAIK people did not continue buying booze in the US when prohibition was lifted. Most people do not like having to go to dealers, though many are their mates, I would not want to arrange to meet my mate to get a bottle of illegal booze, that could be contaminated. Weed here has a very bad rep now due to contamination, and of course hash does too. It is not particularly expensive for weed, and like you say it would have to be priced at a certain level where people would not turn to a blackmarket. I doubt people have much loyalty to their dealers so would gladly turn to regulated supplies.

BTW there is a market for illegal booze and people do buy it...ironic really when you can just go to the North and buy the real thing for not much more. I never have and never would but people do...
    Yes, some will value apparent savings over controlled product, like people buy DVDs recorded in cinemas etc. People will get the odd bottle of poitin as a gimmick at christmas. Most will pay the bit more for quality though.
    Your point on small circle of friends growing (that is already a current means of supply)....we get back to the point of how exactly you impose tax on that market..
    I have no idea. I do think it would be a smaller market than you might think. People would not really like charging mates if they are getting it for what they friends see as being "free" (even though there is costs people ignorant to the whole process would see it as free). It would be like people doing homebrew or distilling at home. I would never have dreamt of charging people for any brews, it would feel odd on both sides. But I do accept your point of it being an "established supply" so the same mate could be growing it who once bought and sold it.
    In fairness the risk of contamination is negligible alongside illegal alcohol production..
    Well if my mates were growing weed or distilling I would not expect contamination. If from a stranger on the street I would not buy it, and from the dodgy weed I have come across I would not call it a negligible risk. It is actually cheaper to make ethanol (drinking alcohol) than to buy industrial alcohols. Many gangs will rob industrial alcohols and sell it on which will blind people, this is what gives distilling a bad name.

Takeaway vans aren't a good example really...perhaps a better analogy would be take away food and proper restaurant food...which usually again comes down to the pricing level determining who eats where..
    Thats my point, people will pay a bit more for what they view as a clean regulated supply/product.

Are you seriously telling me that someone illegally producing and distilling spirits that wasn't fully aware of what they were doing couldn't seriously poison others?
    Yes, it is quite difficult. The majority of distillers will use sugar based brews which contain bare trace amounts of methanol. One guy with a purposely poor still design sent it off a sample for analysis and it was far purer than the commercial brand he sent with it. Nothing is created new in distillation that was not in the brew itself to begin with. Like I said the real blindness is from gangs selling industrial alcohol as ethanol, many distil nothing, just dilute & bottle it.

I would see a greater risk with people growing and creating mouldy buds due to moisture levels during the grow or during curing, I honestly think this mould would be a more likely health risk. To get methanol from homedistilling you would have to make a huge amount of alcohol with methanol in it, e.g. cider. Then you would have to carefully separate it out at the start, this start the "heads" is usually tossed out since it is unpalatable, you would really have to set out to poison somebody and there are far easier ways. Industrial methanol would not have the additional esters and so would not really taste any different to normal ethanol.

I think there is greater health risks from eating from dodgy takeaways than poorly grown weed or poorly distilled alcohol.
    Of course were I in that position I'd be able to see that the fall in alcohol consumption and the problems it causes would lead to a drop in the number of public order arrests, random serious assaults, A&E admissions, subsequent health problems, loss in productivity through missed days, anti social behaviour, teen pregnancy etc etc would be worth the fall in the tax takes.
    Yes, and also there would be massive savings that the taxpayer currently pays for, imprisoning cannabis criminals, general policing, court expenses etc.

*looks at Post Reply button*

*looks at pack of skins*

*presses Thanks button*

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Well it has just gone 4:20 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

Well it has just gone 4:20 :D

Posted at 16:39... damnit so cannabis does slow response time :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

What if they placed tax on the seeds?

what seeds?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Nahh they're magic beans. Send me a tenner and your address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Once or twice with the lads, was enjoyable, wouldn't spend my own money buying it though!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

The odd time. Like maybe 2 or 3 times a month. I dunno. Don't think it really does much for me. Just gives me weird dreams and makes period pains go away. Hurrah! Only time I've been really baked is from eating hash cookies, and that was a horrible experience. To make matters worse the people I was with insisted we go to Coppers. *shudder*

But I don't see smoking weed as rebellious or whatever. I was brought up around it. my Dad smokes a sh*tload of the stuff. Don't think I even knew it was illegal until I was in my early teen years.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 DonkeyPunch

Is there not a Canadian site where you can have week delivered to your door? It's all done using some sort of secure e mail (hushmail.com I think)

• Advertisement

Just as well it's closed down, since you decided to openly post about it on a very public message board...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Never and its not good for one's health - associated with causing mental illness.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

^so is drink tho?

R_H_C_P wrote: »
    ^so is drink tho?

I don't believe alcohol has long term effects on mental health, I don't agree with binge drinking either, alcohol in moderation is fine.
    Some people though react badly to alcohol and shouldn't go anywhere close to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Min wrote: »
    I don't believe alcohol has long term effects on mental health,
    You should know what you're talking about before commenting on a subject. Read this page - the long-term effects of alcohol on the nervous system are serious.

Pace2008 wrote: »
    You should know what you're talking about before commenting on a subject. Read this page - the long-term effects of alcohol on the nervous system are serious.

I did say alcohol in moderation is fine - within limits and not getting drunk. After that one is asking for trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

I did say alcohol in moderation is fine - within limits and not getting drunk. After that one is asking for trouble.
    And in a similar vein, weed in moderation fine. The mental problems you mentioned above only occur in heavy users.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

And in a similar vein, weed in moderation fine. The mental problems you mentioned above only occur in heavy users.
    I think it's mostly in users that start smoking it to young. If your smoking weed before the age of 15 or so it has very bad effects on your brain. I didn't have my first spliff till I was 18 and didn't start smoking it regular until I was 20. The state needs better control over weed to try and prevent children getting it at an early age. While children can get alcohol now, it's harder for them to get alcohol than it is for them to get soap.

Smoking is hardly the same though and the cannabinoids will still lodge in the brain.

Smoking is hardly the same though and the cannabinoids will still lodge in the brain.

Go ahead and keep scandalising the drug of choice of others whilst refuting claims about the one you choose to use...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Meat lodges in your bowels whats your point? It's not like cannabinoids staying in your system is unusual. It's also not a cannabinoid that will make you high, this has been used as a scare tactic for a long time and it's just that fear based on ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

talk to frank

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Cannabinoids have been proven to be beneficial for the treatment of many illnesses actually

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabinoid_receptor#Cannabinoid_treatments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭c_dog

its just the old saying too much of something is bad for you, it goes for weed, alcohol exercise, food, even water for that matter. Anyway this thread was started to see how many people smoke it and how regularly, not the health risks and a debate on which is worse alcohol or weed. If you want a debate start a new thread.

Cannabinoids have been proven to be beneficial for the treatment of many illnesses actually

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabinoid_receptor#Cannabinoid_treatments

Oh yeah? WELL ALCOHOL IS THE BLOOD OF CHRIST.
    Stick that in your pipe hippy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭c_dog

no wine was the blood of christ not alcohol in general, so stick that in ur goblet and shove it up ur ass :-)

c_dog wrote: »
    no wine was the blood of christ not alcohol in general, so stick that in ur goblet and shove it up ur ass :-)

Poetic license.

Bloody pedants...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭bernyh

Would love an old joint right now! not had one since I moved to Ireland 5 years ago!! Don't know any one who has it!!

I smoked it for years n I'm happily married living a normal life....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

x2

there have been studies conducted which demonstrated that the tendency to develop psychosis after smoking heavily, and for an extended period, was seemingly down to a common gene amongst sufferers and not solely due to the weed itself

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

c_dog wrote: »

Kinky ;)
    I see another viral video spawning from that..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement