Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭ch2008

robby^5 wrote: »
    No no actually you're just assuming I haven't already read up about it, which I have... and the results of which were in fact laughable.

It's all about correlation.

Well done, thats a considered response. I agree.

Do people with psychosis develop drug problems easier than those without OR do people who take drugs develop pshychosis easier. Its very hard to prove either way , but I wouldn't say either argument is laughable. I dont work in the field nor have I read any medical research on the issue but those that I know who work in the sector believe that marijuana is a cause of psychosis. just sayin is all.

p.s. Maybe the thread should have been entitled "post here if your pro-marijuana"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

ch2008 wrote: »
    There is quite a substantial body of research that links Marijuana use with the development of psychosis.

Holland...
    That's all i want to say.

What a kick ass country, great artists, great architecture, making some pretty ape shít cars...
    All thanks to smoking loads of weed!!*

*I know smoking loads of weed won't make you good at the thing's I've listed. If the talent is already there though, it make let your imagination run wild and you get some pretty sweet stuff. I have an A2 pad full of normal art and another full of stoned art.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Seriously, i let my wife weed the garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I'm sure it affects people that have underlying issues, but I doubt it causes it.

The same could be said for alcohol or eating too much sugar

Its often a case of chicken and egg, if the subject has no history of psychotic symptoms its very difficut to be 100% either way on it. Personally I don't care if people smoke it or not, however, it can be a very insidious drug and I seen some people struggle more in attempting stop it than with heroin. Then again some people use it with no problems and stop when they want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I'm sure it affects people that have underlying issues, but I doubt it causes it.

The same could be said for alcohol or eating too much sugar

If the weed naysayers actually read the research they so feverently throw up at every occasion, they'd see this.

If there is an underlying mental issue, THC can exacerbate it, but it is not known to cause it.

Like anything i choose to do,i do my research,and then make an informed decision on whether i want to do it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

Well done, thats a considered response. I agree.

Do people with psychosis develop drug problems easier than those without OR do people who take drugs develop pshychosis easier. Its very hard to prove either way , but I wouldn't say either argument is laughable. I dont work in the field nor have I read any medical research on the issue but those that I know who work in the sector believe that marijuana is a cause of psychosis. just sayin is all.

p.s. Maybe the thread should have been entitled "post here if your pro-marijuana"

I find the majority of these studies IN ANY FIELD laughable, because people take the results so seriously.

If marijuana is a cause of psychosis then there would most definitely have to be a predisposition in the subject to develop psychosis, otherwise we would have noticed a staggering trend what with the millions of cannabis users in the world.

The people you know are wrong or just very bad at what they do, anybody who would take the results of any of these research studies as concrete proof is cognitively impaired.

If a study came out saying Marijuana improved your health I would never use it as argument to use marijuana, because until it's been definitively proven then it means **** all in my eyes. Just so you understand I'm not just bashing these theories because I'm a marijuana user.
    Odysseus wrote: »
    Its often a case of chicken and egg, if the subject has no history of psychotic symptoms its very difficut to be 100% either way on it. Personally I don't care if people smoke it or not, however, it can be a very insidious drug and I seen some people struggle more in attempting stop it than with heroin. Then again some people use it with no problems and stop when they want.

Well being that marijuana isn't addictive these were obviously very weak-willed people, I know a few myself... they're wasters. People can become dependant on a lot of things, even besides drugs, to their own detriment.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I love weed, I'd smoke it everyday if it was available. Taking breaks when my tolerance gets to high. The smoke in this country is muck though. You can get good weed every now and again which means I don't smoke to regular anymore because I'm done paying for ****.

Just back from the dam though, they had this crazy water hash for €40 a gram two drags and your gone. Even the stuff that was €4 a gram was 100 times better than the soap in this country.

I've no smoke now though. :mad:

If the weed naysayers actually read the research they so feverently throw up at every occasion, they'd see this.

If there is an underlying mental issue, THC can exacerbate it, but it is not known to cause it.

Like anything i choose to do,i do my research,and then make an informed decision on whether i want to do it or not.

Most doctors, psychiatrists and mental health workers I know disagree with that. It depends on what research you read, you will find research that agrees with both sides of the agrument, like anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭InkSlinger67

GrumPy wrote: »

I can't tell if this is pro or anti-weed, maybe I should move away from this industrial estate (and all it's lovely fumes) next door

• Advertisement

I find the majority of these studies IN ANY FIELD laughable, because people take the results so seriously.

If marijuana is a cause of psychosis then there would most definitely have to be a predisposition in the subject to develop psychosis, otherwise we would have noticed a staggering trend what with the millions of cannabis users in the world.

The people you know are wrong or just very bad at what they do, anybody who would take the results of any of these research studies as concrete proof is cognitively impaired.

If a study came out saying Marijuana improved your health I would never use it as argument to use marijuana, because until it's been definitively proven then it means **** all in my eyes. Just so you understand I'm not just bashing these theories because I'm a marijuana user.

Well being that marijuana isn't addictive these were obviously very weak-willed people, I know a few myself... they're wasters.

I think weed is making you angry

I think weed is making you angry

So much for intelligent debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Most doctors, psychiatrists and mental health workers I know disagree with that. It depends on what research you read, you will find research that agrees with both sides of the agrument, like anything else.
    Most GPs and mental health workers are working off a standard hymn sheet and are hardly experts. The standard line is it's bad for you, don't do it. They don't actually go putting in much research into it, they're busy enough dealing with real problems.

Any doctor that actually does put in the years of research will tell you weed isn't that bad for you and the cons certainly don't justify taking away someones freedom.

It depends on what research you read, you will find research that agrees with both sides of the agrument, like anything else.

Then don't you see how flawed the research is?

Ah here, eh well look I think laughing at all research is a bit strange. Do you think all research should be stopped?

Well being that marijuana isn't addictive these were obviously very weak-willed people, I know a few myself... they're wasters. People can become dependant on a lot of things, even besides drugs, to their own detriment.

Well I would beg to differ on that, as I have treated at least 100+ over the years for hash only and they certainly fitted the ICD-10 citeria for substance dependency, so from a professional viewpoint its real.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭InkSlinger67

No such thing while on weed - They must be a secret stoner, rob.

If they come back with comments like "Man! I can't feel my face" and "anyone hungry right about now?", suspicion confirmed

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭mickos

I'd say I smoked my own body weight of the stuff back in the day. Rarely would now at all it doesn't seem to agree with me anymore. I'd sooner smoke hash now than weed if I was havin a toke. thats just coz its crap and barely gets ya stoned which suits me but people still buy it. oh man i'm so wasted on this schit!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Wertz wrote: »
    Psychosis? Bring it on.
    Are you being serious? Because being psychotic is not a nice place to be in.

ScumLord wrote: »
    Most GPs and mental health workers are working off a standard hymn sheet and are hardly experts. The standard line is it's bad for you, don't do it. They don't actually go putting in much research into it, they're busy enough dealing with real problems.

Any doctor that actually does put in the years of research will tell you weed isn't that bad for you and the cons certainly don't justify taking away someones freedom.

I would disagree with that, and just to state again I'm not anti weed; however, its false to state that it does not affect some peoples mental health. What type of doctor or other professional would put years into researching just weed?

I work for the Addiction Services so whilst I believe nobody has access to the one and only truth, my co-workers have some sense of what we are talking about.

• Advertisement

What type of doctor or other professional would put years into researching just weed?

Theres quite a few really. Its a huge field of study in forensic psychology AFAIK. Google it, some of its quite interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Aard wrote: »
    Are you being serious? Because being psychotic is not a nice place to be in.

Oh feck, i was misled then.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Never.

Theres quite a few really. Its a huge field of study in forensic psychology AFAIK. Google it, some of its quite interesting

But that's then a sub-field of forensics not just the effects of the drug if you get my point. I'm sure it is interesting I have a goggle later.

But that's then a sub-field of forensics not just the effects of the drug if you get my point. I'm sure it is interesting I have a goggle later.

Just goggled it, one of the results but that it was quite balanced

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Psychology-2566/Marijuana-effects.htm

Well I would beg to differ on that, as I have treated at least 100+ over the years for hash only and they certainly fitted the ICD-10 citeria for substance dependency, so from a professional viewpoint its real.

Its real in the sense that the WHO says its real because they have defined what is and isn't real in your set of guidelines.

I recall reading the WHO's stance on marijuana once, the words "may be" followed by "associated" came up quite a lot.

Thats a good point. Although a lot of the proffessionals that I've spoken to about this do see the link they always preface their opinions with the fact that it is ridiculously hard to prove.

Its real in the sense that the WHO says its real because they have defined what is and isn't real in your set of guidelines.

I recall reading the WHO's stance on marijuana once, the words "may be" followed by "associated" came up quite a lot.

Its also real for those people who require treatment. Your spot on about the "may" and "associated", or "suggests". That why I stated earlier that nobody has access to the one and only truth. That's the one thing I hate about reading reseach papers, but that is all we have until someone can do some research that will be 100% correct for 100% of the population.
    Don't hold your breath for that.

Thats a good point. Although a lot of the proffessionals that I've spoken to about this do see the link they always preface their opinions with the fact that it is ridiculously hard to prove.

As above I don't think you can prove something like this for 100% of the population. However, clinical work has shown me that some people end up in a sh!t state because of weed. However, it must be noted that in those cases I only see the ones where it has gone bad, and for each case that goes bad there can be many others who have no problems and therefore no need for an intervention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

galwayrush wrote: »
    Oh feck, i was misled then.:(
    Maybe you're mistaking psychosis for tripping?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement