Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭ch2008

Theres also the argument that some people are well able to handle it and continue to act as functioning, driven, successful people. there are also those that you can tell instantly could do without a spliff.

Anyone dare to bring up the "drug money goes straight to crime lords" argument. I got lynched the last time, someone else can do it :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

It can be great there's no doubt,but i would never say it was completely safe.
    Kids now are smoking it way to young and way to frequently.
    I've often seen blokes in school uniforms toking away on the way to school.
    Its not going to help either with thier ability to learn or thier attitude and a drug culture is forming that bases its philosophy on the teachings of 2Pac.
    In my experience i've also known it to be habit-forming,either psychologicly or physically,due mostly to the super-hit of nicotene you also get when you smoke a spliff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

ch2008 wrote: »

Anyone dare to bring up the "drug money goes straight to crime lords" argument. I got lynched the last time, someone else can do it :D

Well to be fair it does, but human's have been taking drugs for thousands of years and its never going to stop. Its associated with criminality because well basically its illegal, so the people who sell or even possess it are engaged in a criminal act. However, that's where the money is, so its always going happen unless we make all substances legal. It a fair point that the person who sells a bit of weed is far from a crimelord, but on a larger scale there is always someone making big cash out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭ch2008

One thing that does annoy me about the pro-argument is that weed is "natural" and so therefore is ok.

Degsy wrote: »
    Its not going to help either with thier ability to learn or thier attitude and a drug culture is forming that bases its philosophy on the teachings of 2Pac.
    In my experience i've also known it to be habit-forming,either psychologicly or physically,due mostly to the super-hit of nicotene you also get when you smoke a spliff.

That's a point I always make about it. Even with adults if your having a joint at 7.30 on the way to work I don't think you can classify it as recreational use.

On the nicotene side of things I have seen people struggle with trying to do without it even if they are smokers, which suggests there is more to it than the nicotene.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Have been smoking it most days since I finished college. Decided to give it up recently due to health concerns. Im not afraid of developing psychosis but I want to increase my fitness levels so bye bye smoking.
    I quite enjoy it though. Nothing better than lazing at a friends house on a sunny afternoon, sharing a spliff with a few mates, then pulling out the guitar and singing some rebel tunes boi. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

I'm not sure I buy the psychosis argument, to be honest. People inevitably bring up the fact that it can cause or exacerbate existing mental conditions. I don't doubt that this is true, but concrete numbers are never attached to these facts. The point is that it's not understood.

It makes a big difference if it's .01% or 10% of the population that is suceptible to the side-effects. Until this number is known, then the debate is moot. What we need are double-blind clinical trials sponsored by an independent party with no vested interests in the outcome of the trial.

Perscription drugs *can* and *do* do serious damage to people. For instance, Roaccutane and Lariam can both cause depression and/or psychosis, but we haven't banned them.

Excessive alcohol consumption can cause depression. Cigarettes will stone cold kill you (over 20 years). One side affect which may affect an unknown percentage of the population is not grounds for banning something, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I'm pro choice on this one.:)

Fremen wrote: »
    I'm not sure I buy the psychosis argument, to be honest. People inevitably bring up the fact that it can cause or exacerbate existing mental conditions. I don't doubt that this is true, but concrete numbers are never attached to these facts. The point is that it's not understood.

It makes a big difference if it's .01% or 10% of the population that is suceptible to the side-effects. Until this number is known, then the debate is moot. What we need are double-blind clinical trials sponsored by an independent party with no vested interests in the outcome of the trial.

Perscription drugs *can* and *do* do serious damage to people. For instance, Roaccutane and Lariam can both cause depression and/or psychosis, but we haven't banned them.

Excessive alcohol consumption can cause depression. Cigarettes will stone cold kill you (over 20 years). One side affect which may affect an unknown percentage of the population is not grounds for banning something, in my opinion.

Psychosis is actually very rare but the fact is that weed does alter your thought procecess,it can be very pleasant or it can be unpleasant..th ereason people smoke is to alter thier mind.
    If you alter your mind in a bad way it can cause all sorts or problems,paranoia being the most common,some people get violent although its not common.
    But if you're toking very heavily it WILL affect you,it might just make you lazy and cough a lot but it could also alter your personality..i've seen it happen.

Fremen wrote: »

Whilst I'm easy on the banning side of things, I don't really care either way. Actually I'm more for making it legal when it boils down to it. Can you compare banning weed to perscription only meds? Those metioned are not illegal, they are restricted and not prone to misuse/abuse. Chaqmpix the anti-smoking med can provoke depressive symptoms in some people.

Alcohol as you say is legal, however, look at the problems that causes in certain people. Is it not a case when comparing alcohol that your then saying it should be legal and we will just deal with those who become effected by its use?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 byrne94

what is this weed you speak of?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

If you smoke weed you "develop" man boobs

Me,Never have never will..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

crosstownk wrote: »
    I planted some seeds the other day...........hopefully they'll germinate for me!

I used to smoke it quite a lot a good few years ago but now 2 maybe 3 times a year is about it. I'll have a temporary increase in consumption if these seeds sprout!

well depends are they feminised ? how are you growing them ? Mum grow's thigh stick :eek: thatle leave you with nothing to say and so high you almost trip.. Tho she has fibro mialga...

tho i used to smoke about 1/2 an ounce a week :eek: more if i had it... i was unbeleaveable.......

26th off augest arrives and I havent smoked in a year...

well depends are they feminised ? how are you growing them ? Mum grow's thigh stick :eek: thatle leave you with nothing to say and so high you almost trip.. Tho she has fibro mialga...

tho i used to smoke about 1/2 an ounce a week :eek: more if i had it... i was unbeleaveable.......

26th off augest arrives and I havent smoked in a year...

If people want to grow,there's plenty of info on the net.
    I wouldnt start discussing it here..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Yeah, I like it but I smoke infrequently. I also find it hard to get over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

I can take it or leave it but if its there ill take it. It has to be the end of the night though as i always get the giggles..uncontrollably i love it... so its not exactly somethin to be doin at the start of the night. It should be legalised..

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The OP says weed and says they never smoked it, so have others 35% at present, just to be clear and in case people are surprised at any figures, the poll specifically says "weed" which is herbal cannabis. I know many people who have smoked or injested various cannabis products, but far fewer would have actually smoked weed. And in the poll it also has "occasionally" etc, again the person could be a hardcore hash smoker or hash eater who can rarley get their hands on weed, but possibly would if they could.

So do not equate "weed" with "cannabis products", it would be like saying do you drink beer (rather than alcohol), I can't remember the last time I ever saw my sister drink beer, yet she drinks spirits, cider & wine all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,483 ✭✭✭glenjamin

I FOOKING LOVE IT!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Boggle

Odysseus wrote: »
    That's a point I always make about it. Even with adults if your having a joint at 7.30 on the way to work I don't think you can classify it as recreational use.

On the nicotene side of things I have seen people struggle with trying to do without it even if they are smokers, which suggests there is more to it than the nicotene.
    While I appreciate that you say that you work with "addicts", I would suggest that you are too close to the matter to be in any way objective. I have smoked hash for years quite regularly but when I run out or get bored of it I stop - end of. There is no physical dependence on hash any more than there is in watching your favorite soap on telly. That difficulty you mention is that they have nothing better to do or just prefer being stoned. Or they have underlying psychological problems and the hash or grass is the only thing that levels them out.

Fact is that some people just like to think they are victims cos thats the only attention they ever get. Also it gets you out of having to look for work as they can now get disability.

For the definitive answer, just tel me if holland or canada has a verifiably higher incidence of psychosis than Ireland. If not, then you have your definitive field study.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭titan18

No, never have and never will.But I don't drink alcohol either.

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    The OP says weed and says they never smoked it, so have others 35% at present, just to be clear and in case people are surprised at any figures, the poll specifically says "weed" which is herbal cannabis. I know many people who have smoked or injested various cannabis products, but far fewer would have actually smoked weed. And in the poll it also has "occasionally" etc, again the person could be a hardcore hash smoker or hash eater who can rarley get their hands on weed, but possibly would if they could.

So do not equate "weed" with "cannabis products", it would be like saying do you drink beer (rather than alcohol), I can't remember the last time I ever saw my sister drink beer, yet she drinks spirits, cider & wine all the time.

I know what the OP meant and i've been smoking on and off for 20 years.
    Weed is far more available now than hash is(although more expensive) and thats what people are toking now so let them call it that.
    A better name would be Dope. or Smoke.or Blow..it doesnt distinguish between the various forms of cannabis.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Very occassionally. Originally I had said that drinking was better, but recently I've liked drink less and less, drunkenness isn't as fun nowadays... :pac: I prefer being high...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

as i said before... its easier for me to get weed, than it get a pint or a few cans....

dont touch it tho

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

First time i smoked was in March this yr.. Not bad, i haven't bought yet but i'd smoke when there's a joint going around...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭well horse

Have done a few times. Don't get anything out of it, just don't enjoy the effects!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

smoke pretty much every night, I have had to stop meself from rollin a joint for the drive home from work in the evenins cos the cops over here now have Random Drug testin.

My evenins at teh moment consist of, Drinkin, Smokin, Arguin in the CT Forum and watchin Random Australian Sh!te on the telly.

Jaysus being single again is great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

smoke pretty much every night, I have had to stop meself from rollin a joint for the drive home from work in the evenins cos the cops over here now have Random Drug testin.

My evenins at teh moment consist of, Drinkin, Smokin, Arguin in the CT Forum and watchin Random Australian Sh!te on the telly.

Jaysus being single again is great

I see...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

ch2008 wrote: »
    There is quite a substantial body of research that links Marijuana use with the development of psychosis.

theres also quite a substantial body of research that links booze to depression & liver failure but that wont stop most folk.

... sorry, marked freq. by that i mean most weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Odysseus wrote: »
    I would disagree with that, and just to state again I'm not anti weed; however, its false to state that it does not affect some peoples mental health. What type of doctor or other professional would put years into researching just weed?

I work for the Addiction Services so whilst I believe nobody has access to the one and only truth, my co-workers have some sense of what we are talking about.
    As an addiction worker though you only see the worst side of drugs. I never said it had no effect on peoples mental health. It can make a bad situation worse it can very easily encourage lazy behavior due to it being so easy to maintain a daily habit but long term effects are rare without a catalyst. I'm smoking over 10 years now and would say Cannabis has, overall improved my life. It's held me back at times but overall it's had a positive effect on my view of the world.

Cannabis is one of the most important cancer drugs out there, many medical companies are doing their damn dist to separate the beneficial aspects of cannabis from the high, why I don't know. I don't see the problem with getting high.
    Degsy wrote: »
    I think if cannabis was regulated you could do something about underage smoking. Whats worse is those kids are not smoking weed, their more than likely smoking a cocktail of all kinds of unknown crap.
    byrne94 wrote: »
    what is this weed you speak of?????
    Nettles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭uprising

i've smoked it for over half my life, mainly hash, more weed nowadays, i find it mellowing, relaxing. I've drank for years and it caused me nothing but trouble.
    just about to roll a j of green, smoke it, then go to bed and watch discovery channel.
    Then when I arise I'll put on the kettle and stick a couple of skins.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement