Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weed

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭jochenstacker

ch2008 wrote: »
    There is quite a substantial body of research that links Marijuana use with the development of psychosis.

I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

robby^5 wrote: »
    Have never had any sort of short term memory problems with weed/hash at all, tbh If I did I'd definately cut back. I know some people have that problem with drink, but again very rarely happens to me. Guess I'm lucky, I wouldnt like any sort of memory loss even in the slightest it would put me off weed/drink altogether.

I was researching it because I was interested in starting to smoke and did try it. I started more because I felt uncomfortable being around my g/f when she was high..she made a big issue out of it because I should be able to accept her flaws blah blah...so I decided I should try it to form my own opinion but researched before hand.

Watched a BBC documentary and they concluded that 6% of users suffer from Psychosis. It also can drastically slow down reaction times and had varying effects on people. The guy doing the documentary leaned on the side of pro because of the medicinal uses.

From my own experience..I don't know if its because I thought of the negatives too much before smoking but the day after my first proper smoke I woke up and just felt completely drained and depressed to the point I didn't feel like talking to anyone at length and avoided people at work. The second time I did I didn't feel like that but did still feel slightly off the next day.

It also didn't do much for making me feel more comfortable being around it so I've decided to give up on it. The majority of people I do know that smoke regularly tend to lack ambition but I'm not sure if that down to smoking or if its just character but I've noticed that alot. Anyone else notice that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Wompa1 wrote: »
    I was researching it because I was interested in starting to smoke and did try it. I started more because I felt uncomfortable being around my g/f when she was high..she made a big issue out of it because I should be able to accept her flaws blah blah...so I decided I should try it to form my own opinion but researched before hand.

Watched a BBC documentary and they concluded that 6% of users suffer from Psychosis. It also can drastically slow down reaction times and had varying effects on people. The guy doing the documentary leaned on the side of pro because of the medicinal uses.

From my own experience..I don't know if its because I thought of the negatives too much before smoking but the day after my first proper smoke I woke up and just felt completely drained and depressed to the point I didn't feel like talking to anyone at length and avoided people at work. The second time I did I didn't feel like that but did still feel slightly off the next day.

It also didn't do much for making me feel more comfortable being around it so I've decided to give up on it. The majority of people I do know that smoke regularly tend to lack ambition but I'm not sure if that down to smoking or if its just character but I've noticed that alot. Anyone else notice that?

Fair play man, it's nice to see someone coming to a logical decision about whether a substance is or is not for them.

With regard to the ambition thing, i know plenty of people, some smoke and some don't, some are ambitious and some are not.

What i will say is, smoking will not dull your ambition ( my circle of friends are mostly smokers, and are mostly ambitious people too ) but it will be used as a crutch and as an excuse by a lazy person "...ah, i was too stoned so i wasn't bothered"...bollix, if you want to do something you will do it and ensure you posses the mental faculties to do so.

Also, with regard to smoking the Sweet Leaf causing Psychosis, is there not also evidence linking the smoking of tobacco to Psychosis as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Smoking is a character flaw now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭waitinforatrain

Dragan wrote: »
    What i will say is, smoking will not dull your ambition ( my circle of friends are mostly smokers, and are mostly ambitious people too ) but it will be used as a crutch and as an excuse by a lazy person "...ah, i was too stoned so i wasn't bothered"...bollix, if you want to do something you will do it and ensure you posses the mental faculties to do so.

Exactly. I know a pair that just go to work, go home then get stoned and watch tv for the rest of the evening. They were always like that though before they were heavy smokers.

They are dependent on it though, they'll be irritable if they don't have any, and it's because of this: If you want to sit around for 6 hours and watch TV every day, weed is going to make that time go a lot smoother. It makes it very easy not to live your life, if that's the choice you want to make.

They never liked drinking, never liked going out, and any time I try to get them out of the house they'll more than likely bail. Once they've started smoking there's no moving them, and they cancel a lot of plans because they decide to have a joint first and then end up smoking for the whole evening.

All of their friends slowly got bored of doing nothing but smoking and drifted away bit by bit, and now I'm basically their only friend left. I'd be happier to hang out with them if they weren't smoking, that being said it's boring as hell if they don't plan on doing anything but watch tv. Every time I do get them outside they say they should do it more often, but they don't.

I love smoking. but this is the one problem I have with weed. They've got themselves into a rut with it, where they can very comfortably do nothing much else but smoke and not live their lives, and it's not going to be an easy thing to get out of having lost most of their friends.

It's starting to drive one of them mental since he lost his job, and they have been trying to go out more, so hopefully it's a phase they'll just grow out of though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Smoking is a character flaw now?

Everything can be a character flaw, depending on what you feel construes good character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭sneakerfreak

One of the reasons for the psychosis (which I believe is what I got after smoking from the age of 12 to 19 ((2 joints before school kickstarted the day) is the steroids being used in growing of plants,the Dutch and Canadians are the main culprits.I however never used weed only resin which is pure crap here,the lads in the greenhouses used to laugh when you told them they were Irish.I believe it can cause psychosis but I am still an advocate,it causes a lot less problems than alcohol and other drugs.
    They used to throw old diesel filters and out of date medication and chipboard and all sorts in the industrial compactor along with the resin and out pops a shiny wee nine bar pretty much lol.Nasty stuff.I believe it should be legalised and quality controlled.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

I hate some users view that "Cannabis isn't addictive" and then say "Oh i have joint nearly every week" :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭sneakerfreak

Stev_o wrote: »
    I hate some users view that "Cannabis isn't addictive" and then say "Oh i have joint nearly every week" :rolleyes:

Its physically as addictive as chocolate but mentally a lot more but depends on the user.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Stev_o wrote: »

Doing something you enjoy every week or two isnt an addiction, its doing something you enjoy. Most people probably watch tv at least once a week yet wouldnt say they are addicted to it.

Cannabis can become mentally addictive because it can replace your view on what normality feels like if you smoke it all the time. Then when you dont smoke, reality feels worse than being stoned, so you think you feel bad when you really just feel normal. This is why some people can become irritable when they have none, but thats only because they were smoking way too often beforehand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

If sex and video games can be an addiction then of course it can be an addiction. Why wouldn't something that makes you feel good be addictive.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

There are different types of addiction and dependency though.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭BeQuiet

vinylmesh wrote: »
    1. 72-90% of schizophrenics use tobacco.

2. Schizophrenia has been linked with dopamine supersensitivity.

3. Nicotine has been scientifically proven to sensitize the dopamine sysytem for months after it's administration.

Now if you ask does nicotine cause schizophrenia "experts" might point towards a possible self medication.

But wait a minute, people also jump on the self-medication argument with cannabis :rolleyes:.

tobacco; 3-4 times more likely.
    cannabis; 2 times more likely.

Not only that but there's actually a neurologically based argument to support the former.

......Only the daily mail doesn't hate tobacco as much as cannabis ;).

Do i think cannabis causes long term chemical imbalances in the brain that lead to schizophrenia? No,

But if you're already having unwanted/delusional thoughts taking something that lets your thoughts flow more freely would probably not the the best of ideas.

Really great post !
    Would appreciate your sources though when you quote stats like that (just for future posts tho... thanks)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 StopTheDrugWar!

Wertz wrote: »
    Your point on smoking it neat I agree with entirely...but in this country it's a question of economics. I already spend much more than I'd like, on a substance that can be difficult to obtain and highly sought after by the local drug squad detectives. Putting a gramme or two into a spliff is the way I do it when I'm in the 'dam and finding the ingredient is no problem, and more after when that's gone. Back in Ireland though I might be paying €50 for 3-4 grammes...whcih goes to make about 2-3 spliffs, doing it your way. Fair enough, those are extra strong spliffs and you don't smoke as many...but for the majority of people (unless you're a dealer/grower) that is the height of luxury and simply undoable for someone that likes a regular intake.
    As it stands now I put maybe 1/3 gramme and 2/3's of cigarette into mine...the weed is almost always top notch and I get the same level of buzz I'd get off my 'dam joints but just not as long lasting or as intense. Unfortuanetly I don't have €300+ disposable income to blaze every week.

If you are seriously interested in weed, perhaps you should consider investing in a vaporiser. Apparently they are healthier and require much less plant material to get you high.
    ScumLord wrote: »
    There are different types of addiction and dependency though.

Yes, but the point is weed is addictive. Yes, it's nowhere near as addictive as cocaine or heroin, but to say "weed isn't addictive" would be a blatant lie. A lie which is probably responsible for many people being careless with their weed useage only to later find themselves addicted.

Bull**** drugs propaganda can swing both ways.

Yes, but the point is weed is addictive. Yes, it's nowhere near as addictive as cocaine or heroin, but to say "weed isn't addictive" would be a blatant lie. A lie which is probably responsible for many people being careless with their weed useage only to later find themselves addicted.

Bull**** drugs propaganda can swing both ways.
    There's a difference between being physically addicted and dependent on Heroin and someone who's addicted to weed. I wouldn't even say it's the same type of addiction. You never become physically addicted/dependent on weed. If you stop smoking weed after any number of years of abusing you won't go through anything like the withdrawals you go through with Heroin or coke. Saying it's just a milder form of addiction isn't really fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Anything that gives you pleasure can theoretically be physically addictive, as Serotonin and Dopamine levels increase and the body tries to keep the levels high

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Anything that gives you pleasure can theoretically be physically addictive, as Serotonin and Dopamine levels increase and the body tries to keep the levels high

Yes but the only noticable effect of "withdrawal" is being a wee bit cranky or not being able to nod off to sleep just as easily as you would when you're smoking. There isn't a physical effect of sickness or an insane craving or night terrors/DTs.
    Psychological dependence depends on the individual user...I smoke most days but if it's not there it doesn't bother me (much)...mates of mine on the other hand would crawl the walls without it, go to lengths to get some when they've none...then I know people who will smoke a bit at the weekend and that's it.

Someone mentioned a vapouriser? Last one I saw for sale was about €250. That's money that could be better spent elsewhere...

Good poll so far...obviously skewed by boards average age of user, but still interesting figures. Wonder how long before it pops up in a newspaper article...

Wertz wrote: »
    Yes but the only noticable effect of "withdrawal" is being a wee bit cranky or not being able to nod off to sleep just as easily as you would when you're smoking.
    Giving up tobacco is a hell of a lot harder than giving up weed.

Good poll so far...obviously skewed by boards average age of user, but still interesting figures. Wonder how long before it pops up in a newspaper article...
    What do you mean, boards.ie IS the news. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

robby^5 wrote: »
    I said frequently but that's only during the summer months or any other extended period of time I don't have work/college. When I am in college I'll only smoke it maybe once or twice a week if at all.

At the moment the weed is good, work is stressful and when I have the stuff (dealer is dry at the moment :/) I'll smoke up a few nights a week.

Same here, I don't smoke and rarely drink during the college year and then when the summer hits I'll start smoking weed a lot more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 StopTheDrugWar!

ScumLord wrote: »
    There's a difference between being physically addicted and dependent on Heroin and someone who's addicted to weed. I wouldn't even say it's the same type of addiction. You never become physically addicted/dependent on weed. If you stop smoking weed after any number of years of abusing you won't go through anything like the withdrawals you go through with Heroin or coke. Saying it's just a milder form of addiction isn't really fair.

I don't think physical addiction is as large a factor as people think it is. To be addicted you need to have a psychological addiction.

I may be wrong, but i remember hearing that it is not uncommon for non-recreational users of some drugs to go through withdrawals without feeling any cravings, sometimes going to the doctor with their symptoms not realising they are going through withdrawals.

If physical addiction is what makes heroin so addictive, why is there such a high relapse rate among heroin addicts?

As they've already gone through withdrawals physical addiction should not be a factor.

I recognise that many heroin users may keep up a habit to avoid withdrawals, but you'd need to already have a serious addiction (which doesn't happen overnight btw) in order to become physically addicted in the first place.

Also there is a withdrawal syndrome associated with cannabis, it just happens to be much milder than most other drugs, possibly because THC can stay in your body for 3 months instead of just disappearing all of a sudden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

I have been trying to get rid of weed from my garden for years.
    it keeps coming back.

Japanese%20knotweed%201.jpg

I don't think physical addiction is as large a factor as people think it is. To be addicted you need to have a psychological addiction.
    Psychological addiction is wanting something where as physiological addiction is needing something. Your body craves it at a much more basic level. If you've ever seen someone going through withdrawals from Heroin you'll see a huge and scary difference between that and someone you doesn't have any weed.

Also there is a withdrawal syndrome associated with cannabis, it just happens to be much milder than most other drugs, possibly because THC can stay in your body for 3 months instead of just disappearing all of a sudden.
    THC doesn't stay in your system for that long, it's not the active ingredient that stays in your system at all. It's just one of the chemicals that in cannabis. If THC stayed in your system for 3 months you'd be high for 3 months and we all know that isn't true. :(

ch2008 wrote: »
    There is quite a substantial body of research that links Marijuana use with the development of psychosis.

I dont know, I am in two minds about that.

No such thing while on weed - They must be a secret stoner, rob.

If they come back with comments like "Man! I can't feel my face" and "anyone hungry right about now?", suspicion confirmed

is that like secret santa for weed?

strongr wrote: »

Afroman - Because I Got High
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_qD9uZ8kB8

MY cat has a problem with Cat mint/nip.

Catnip Reefer Madness

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Paulyh

i do use it occasionally, and can definately see that it could lead to mental/ emtioal problems if used every day...........
    it can lead to lack of self estem, paranoia, etc. and it seems to effect different people in different ways. but prolonged use will have a bad effect which will take along time to reverse!!
    however, as with everything, its fine in moderation......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭c_dog

exactly..... I used to smoke it everyday and I can see the bad effects of it but I feel that these effect are definetly no worse than the effects of alcohol. Iknow only smoke it about once every two weeks and I can honestly say that im fine........ it is the same as anything else.

Smoke too much: Bad effects
    Drink too much: Bad effects
    Eat too much: Bad effects

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

Oh wow ... hey ... a poll ... far out, dude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 8

Robs people of ambition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Snoogans

If used every day I could easily see it ruining somone's life if they're in college or a high performance job. Having said that, there's absolutely nothing wrong with chilling for a few hours on weekends/after parties with some friends, music, and a bit of a smoke. Like any other drug or product that we use to enjoy ourselves, it's harmful if we over consume. I'd view it as being about as dangerous as alcohol in terms of addiction and the effects on you yourself. it's infinitely less dangerous in terms of affecting those around you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement