Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Greening of Building (AKA learning from the past)

Options
  • 03-07-2009 8:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭

Not much text but lots of photos and a really interesting idea. In China they don't use expensive and environmentally unfriendly steel poles. Instead they use carbon neutral, renewable bamboo, even for structures that are several stories high.

Link here

We have a much wetter climate here so it probably wouldn't work in this country but it would in a lot of teh world. And there must be loads of other old technologies or techniques that are more environmentally friendly than modern ones.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭TheManWho

That looks quite cool but I can't see any use beyond that. The steel poles can be used again and again. I doubt the bamboo can be used on several buildings, which constitutes more harvesting of bamboo for temporary purposes which can't be very efficent.

Plus bamboo shoots tied with shoelaces would probobly scare the average builder out of the construction industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

This bamboo scaffolding was done in Dublin a few years ago on O Connell St. It was down around Dr Quirkeys somewhere. One of those buildings along there. It looked quite cool too and as far as I know it's re-usable. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

But wouldn't transporting the bamboo over to Ireland be quite unfriendly to the enviroment? And since I doubt bamboo would last as long as metal, there would need to be a lot more transported. It's a good idea for regions that can grow bamboo, but can't be used worldwide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭markok84

The health and safety regulations in Ireland wouldn't be long putting an end to that idea. Cool pictures though, oh and cool forum too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

If you ever get the chance to visit Thailand check out the scaffolding there. Unreal!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement