Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

whats with all the audis with them led lights.?

• 03-07-2009 8:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭

Seems every second one passing me out today in broad day light was one...:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

They are standard on them now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,479 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Think you have to pay to get them, They're not standard on the A4 anyhow.

Sorry - I meant to say they are factory fit, not halford type jobbies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Day time running lights. Should be mandatory tbh.

eoin wrote: »
    halford type jobbies.

plenty of them going around, could be this generation's Lexus lights :)

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    plenty of them going around, could be this generation's Lexus lights :)

I don't think they look great as standard, let alone replica ones. Same as Lexus lights actually. There were also some weird angel eye replicas in different colours doing the rounds in all makes of car as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭darcy.jonny

haha ive been noticing that as well . maybe the owners think the car looks better with the lights on .............. other than that what could it be apart from maybe something like no light on the dashboard to day there on ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

As Clarkson said "like a council house at Christmastime"

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Buffman

DRL's, they will probably become mandatory in the future.

180px-LED_DaytimeRunningLights.jpg

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles or cartons to avoid the DRS fee.

haha ive been noticing that as well . maybe the owners think the car looks better with the lights on

They come on automatically, they're a safety feature

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Standard on R8, A6 LE, S6, RS6 & A5, optional on the A3, A4 (standard on the Sport), A6 & Q5.

You can turn them off from inside the cabin, but personally I'd leave them on because DRLs are a good safety feature (whether you like the look of them or not).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭darcy.jonny

oh haha well that explains it

It helps people realise it's not a Skoda too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

DRLs have been around for years, only it's just these days they seem to be fashion accessories more than safety equipment.

My S40 has them but nobody notices because they are not the nice fancy led type.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,472 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I like them and wouldnt dream of turning them off

All scandanavian cars have them, it's only recently that the EU has decided that they should be compulsory.

The move to LEDS is becuase of energy efficiency and extended bulb life.

The usage of them in "cool" patterns is at the manufacturer's discretion...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

I like the idea, and I think the one halfords have, just a rectangle of LED's that can be hidden away inside a gap in a bumper looks kinda good, a bit further in then the halfords pic.
    I dont like the Audi attempt at style with them.

This brilliant white light seemingly coming nothing inside the bumper.

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_541307_langId_-1_categoryId_212516

But 100 quid? I could make that for much less. A bit expensive.

EDIT:
    http://shop.ebay.ie/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1313&_nkw=Daytime+running+lamp
    ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

-Chris- wrote: »
    All scandanavian cars have them, it's only recently that the EU has decided that they should be compulsory.

The move to LEDS is becuase of energy efficiency and extended bulb life.

The usage of them in "cool" patterns is at the manufacturer's discretion...

However, from early 2011, all new types of passenger cars and light vans will have to be fitted with dedicated daytime running lamps in accordance with the relevant European directive.
    taken from http://www.fleetnews.co.uk/FNE/story/?nID=46430

Ive seen some A4's (my neighbour) that has xenons and the DRL's are LED, then ive seen some A4's that the DRL's are halogen. is the DRL an option or just the LED an option over the halogen?

LED is an option over halogen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

-Chris- wrote: »
    Standard on R8, A6 LE, S6, RS6 & A5, optional on the A3, A4 (standard on the Sport), A6 & Q5.

You can turn them off from inside the cabin, but personally I'd leave them on because DRLs are a good safety feature (whether you like the look of them or not).
    Chris, you might know the answer to this one ... why is it the Audi DRL's only turn on the front lights? Would it not be easier and more cost effective to have a system like Saab or Volvo when it's essentially the parking lights that are on all the time (and thus the rear lights are also illuminated)? I'm sure Audi must have some reason behind only having them illuminate the front?

• Advertisement

Aren't the Audis that are equipped with DRLs also equipped with dusk sensors?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭Heroditas

It helps people realise it's not a Skoda too :)

Also differentiates them from Seat Exeos too ;)

Top Dog wrote: »
    Chris, you might know the answer to this one ... why is it the Audi DRL's only turn on the front lights? Would it not be easier and more cost effective to have a system like Saab or Volvo when it's essentially the parking lights that are on all the time (and thus the rear lights are also illuminated)?

No idea why it's front only - I presume cos front DRLs make a bigger difference than rear lights.
    No idea about cost-effectiveness either, it's never been mentioned in any training or product guides anyway...

I'm sure Audi must have some reason behind only having them illuminate the front?

Thinking about it, it's probably the cheapest/most ecological way to have them run - most Audis don't have rear LEDs and so the most efficient way is to have LEDs at the front, and rear lights off altogether.
    Aren't the Audis that are equipped with DRLs also equipped with dusk sensors?

Nope, you have to pay extra for that in most models.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

I know in some regions "extra" rear lights are a deemed safety hazard as they can be confused with brake lights, which then leads to confusion over when and if a person is actually braking. Driving around with Rear Fog lights on is even more dangerous as they usually use on set of what appears to be brake lights (looking like a blown brake bulb on the opposite side).

Front always on lights are a fantastic, documented, safety feature. I find people driving with front lights on far easier to see on uneven road surfaces when you are lining up an overtake. Which is exactly what they are meant to do (DRLs). From experience on both sides of the situation, I think they also allow people to see a car in their peripheral vision (pulling out at a T Junction) much faster too.
    I have no DRLs, so have to put the Xenon low beams on for the same effect. My parking lights are teeny 5w bulbs (like most VWs) and therefore totally useless as DRLs. The 2008 model of my car has LED DRLs integrated (very subtlety) into the headlights. Looks like a white bar not a row of individual LEDs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Chris, you might know the answer to this one ... why is it the Audi DRL's only turn on the front lights? Would it not be easier and more cost effective to have a system like Saab or Volvo when it's essentially the parking lights that are on all the time (and thus the rear lights are also illuminated)? I'm sure Audi must have some reason behind only having them illuminate the front?

The DRLs on my S40 are the standard dipped beams, H7 bulbs but they just run at a lower intensity during the day than at night. Supposed to extend the light of the bulbs afaik. You can have the S40's DRLs permenantly switched off by a Volvo dealer if you want.

The reason DRLs are only in the front is because they are designed to make the vehicle more visible to other road users ahead of you rather than behind you. That is the logic as I understand it anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

bazz26 wrote: »
    My S40 has them but nobody notices because they are not the nice fancy led type.

Didn't volvos have them since at least the 240?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

For those of you who dont like them. Get used to them every new car in two years time will have to have them by law. More new cars are coming with them ie new E class and Insignia. You can put the rear lights and front drls on you turn the light switch one to the right of auto and the front drls will go to dip setting and rear lights come on. Front drls will not be as bright so maybe not a good idea. I have driven with my lights on for the last 7 years since i went to sweden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Matt Simis wrote: »
    I know in some regions "extra" rear lights are a deemed safety hazard as they can be confused with brake lights.
    Fair point - can kinda see the logic behind that.

Just wish Audi would factor in the laziness of the typical Irish driver - have lost count of the amount of Audi's I've seen now in low-light dusk situations still with only the DRL's on meaning they're near impossible to see from behind until you're on top of them. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭DubTony

I was going through the Rules of the Road a few weeks back, and it seems that it's a legal requirement here in Ireland to drive with lights on during the day in rural areas. Daytime running lights should be mandatory, especially in a grey, overcast climate like ours.

• Advertisement
Advertisement