Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toilet Fill Valve - Leak!

Options
  • 03-07-2009 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭

Hi guys,

This evening I replaced my existing plastic toilet fill valve with a brand new brass one. (I even replaced the in-pipe washer on the fill line). Even with plumbing tape over the brass thread, and tightened it as much as possible, I am still getting a very slight leak where the in-pipe meets the valve.

Any ideas how I might rectify this?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Compudaro wrote: »
    Hi guys,

This evening I replaced my existing plastic toilet fill valve with a brand new brass one. (I even replaced the in-pipe washer on the fill line). Even with plumbing tape over the brass thread, and tightened it as much as possible, I am still getting a very slight leak where the in-pipe meets the valve.

Thanks

Yeah its not seating properly. Its a common DIY problem go out and get a flexi 1/2" hose and connect the end with the washer to the ball valve and the end with the compression nut and ring to your pipe. You might need to cut a bit off and change the olive in the flexi for an imperial olive. You will also need inserts if your house is plumbed with pex.

Let me know if you need more~!

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

you could try wrapping the tape around where the washer fits,push in with srew driver for tighter fit if required, is this reinforces the washer seal when tightened. Also make sure the fitting being screwed on is in perfect line, if it is slightly pulled to one side, it will leak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭darcy.jonny

joey is correct

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Hell Toupee

Make sure you're using Irish fittings with Irish Cistern, or UK with Uk. If you bought in B&Q for example you'll need a UK fitting or a conversion fitting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Compudaro wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Thanks

flexi solution is the way to go.
    In passing, putting tape on the threads of a compression fitting will not help,

• Advertisement
Advertisement