Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Valve Software Skipping PS3 (For Now . . . )

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

?

Sony's platform isn't based on Windows, that's Valve's issue here. Same way for years they've ignored Apple as a platform for game development.

They've always rallied behind Microsoft, for everything. A cynic would mention that Gabe Newell used to work for Microsoft, and that's where he made a few bucks to start his own game development company.... but I'm not a cynic so wouldn't say that :p

They've always come out kind of militant towards the PS3. Newell even came out about a year after the PS3's launch telling Sony to recall every machine and start again with a new kit. Yet somehow companies are churning out PS3 games with great ease.

No one at Valve have ever critiqued the attempts at pushing out more power from the PS3. It's a great system with a unique architecture, but it's that architecture that Valve simply don't want to invest in as in their eyes, it's not a long term plan. I am glad Lombardi said they just don't have a PS3 team together, which shows the reason they don't have PS3 games is because they just haven't really bothered (as is the case with Mac - they actually asked Apple to pay for development of their games for Mac, which Apple rightly responded by telling them where to go). Stick to what you know and all that.

As was already said though, I think Valve are better suited to sticking to PC titles. Blaming the PS3 console for bad metacritic scores rather then their poor porting abilities is insane... also rallying out against the console while EA say it's their lead platform (because they make more money from it) really doesn't look good from a PR perspective, much like Bobby Kotick of Actiblizzard-fame saying he'll pull from the PS3 platform if Sony don't drop the price. That's like Ford telling the toll road people to drop their prices or they'll stop making cars that go on their roads. These guys all look a bit stupid right now. Saying the PS3 is a bad development platform in the same breath as Killzone2's release is a bit silly in fairness.

But hey, at the very least it's entertaining to watch all these guys squirm in interviews hereafter.

Great post ProjectMayhem.

I honestly think valve are just a bunch of lazy fcukers interested
    solely on making a quick buck these days. Left 4 dead = passable.

They are ignoring a sizeable market simply because they
    prefer to develop titles solely for the microsoft platform.

Ok, the Cell architecture may be a pain to work with, but
    most other small dev teams are dealing with it.

This just comes down to their heavy bias towards microsoft
    specific development. Isn't valve situated very close to the mighty redmond:pac:

I am in a minority here, but no ps3/mac/linux ports
    will equal no money to valve from me anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Naikon wrote: »
    Great post ProjectMayhem.

I honestly think valve are just a bunch of lazy fcukers interested
    solely on making a quick buck these days. Left 4 dead = passable.

At least they are being honest, and not putting out shoddy ports the way some developers do (one only has to look at certain games that eventually get a PC release).

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Wicknight wrote: »
    I would imagine that the reason for this is the same reason they never produce anything on Apple (the real reason, not some nonsense that Gabe used to work for MS), that being that both Sony and Apple are dicks about helping game designers. MS isn't. The PS3 is difficult to develop for. The Xbox 360 isn't. MS make it easy, Sony make it hard.

That, and the entire Steam platform/source engine would have to
    be rewritten from the ground up to support open source
    libraries and to avoid stuff like internet explorer integration.

The best approach would be to write the graphics stuff in
    OpenGL and translate to cg/hlsl/glsl for each platform.

DirectX is much easier to develop for apparently. Not that
    I have any real experience in graphics programming though.

Advertisement