Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WILD ROSES

Options
  • 03-07-2009 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭

Hi all - on a road that I regularly pass there are some beautiful wild roses growing on the ditches

I would love to get some of these growing on the ditch that surrounds the back of our house, but I haven't a clue where to start - well actually I do, I know that I have to get cuttings from these bushes, but that is as far as my knowledge goes.

Can anyone help, I would need A to Z help please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

best wait until there is a r in the month, then remove a complete item ie the root and re plant, dunno if removing wild roses is against regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭John mac

you can also collect the seeds (rose hips) when they come out.

plant then in small pots and watch them grow.

I have done this and it works well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 JohnDeb

Don't even bother putting them in pots. Wait until the hips are soft and come off the plant easily and then just scatter them where you want roses.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

OP back again - thanks for the replies, after a bit of googling I presume that I would have to take "cuttings"? and put them in a "rooting powder?, I have no idea how to go about this.

Do you think that the local garden centre might be able to help?

I don't like the idea of asking them to help me bypass their offerings.

Advertisement