Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Door to door sales people

Options
  • 03-07-2009 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭

Is there any legal way to deal with door to door sales people. I am tired being harassed by one particular TV company, I have tried the polite no thanks but it seems the slamming the door route is the only option.

I am fed up with this as I don't go around to their office soliciting business from them so I don't think they should be allowed solicit at my door on my property.

Any idea where to file a formal complaint or how to go about it. I have contacted the TV company so that reply will be interesting. I could do the bucket of water or the aggressive f**k off! but why should I have to do that at my door in front of my kids??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Answer the door naked holding a severed pigs head, problem solved

Failing that, written complaint to the company

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Just tell all your friends that you're not opening the door unless you know someone is calling around. Then, stop answering the door but make sure they know you're in.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Sleipnir wrote: »
    Just tell all your friends that you're not opening the door unless you know someone is calling around. Then, stop answering the door but make sure they know you're in.

Why should the OP inconvenience themselves or there friends though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

if you can look out your window and get a clear view of your front door or have a peephole that you can see these pests at your door just ignore them or perhaps as suggested before let them know you are home by making some noise or looking out the window and letting them see you, then ignore them and they will soon get the message to feck off

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

A wireless webcam mounted above your door

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

I sit in my front room and just take a look out the window when someone comes to the door, if I don't know them I don't answer, simple.

Even if they see me looking at them, so what, I'm still not coming to the door.

And if it's raining out that makes me a little bit warmer & fuzzier inside :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Put up a sign on the door that says no salespeople. If they still knock point to the sign. If they don't leave then you won't feel as bad when you tell them where to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭vectra

When they knock,
    Go to the door
    open it
    Look left
    Look right
    Close the door again without a word as if nobody was standing there.
    I can bet they wont come back again :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

when they knock, fart loudly. Then turn around and close the door. Problem solved.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭traco

Cheers - I like all of the above suggestions :D

Next one that calls will be asked for ID, name, ID number and who their direct employer is and their managers info. Then I think I'll write a letter purely in the interest of health and safety maybe I should ask them to provide me a copy of their health and safety statement along with copies of their liability insurance just in case one of them scratched my car with their clipboard or something else hapened on my property. Have to be safe you know ;).

In relation to my complaint there has been no response from said TV provider yet so I shall continue to wait. If I hear nothing then I'll copy and paste and post it to them until I get an apology and request copies of all of the above.

Maybe I should draft a contract with loads of T's & C's that they must complete before I discuss anything with them, confidentiallity, legal responsibility, insurance, safety statement etc. Then if they were thick enough to waste their time filling it out I would tell them "No thanks, not interested" and shut the door. Could just keep a copy on the hall table.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Simple solution I have said in many many threads, get rid of your doorbell, I have none and will never get one again, and will remove it if I move to a house with one. There is no need in this day & age with mobiles. I have never heard a good reason to have one that I could not give a reply/solution to.

If you insist on answering just say "my mammy says I am not allowed talk to strangers" Works best if you are 40+

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

rubadub wrote: »
    If you insist on answering just say "my mammy says I am not allowed talk to strangers" Works best if you are 40+

For added effect, be wearing a dress and high-heals Less as effective if you're female. Then keep turning your head to the side and mutter something like Not now, mother, I'm busy and I'll come to bed when I'm ready. Then invite them in for a cup of tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Put up a sign on the door that says no salespeople. If they still knock point to the sign. If they don't leave then you won't feel as bad when you tell them where to go.

Posh it up a bit. No Hawkers or Circulars. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭grundie

We get them in our apartment block, in addition to the non-stop letters addressed to 'The Resident".

My response is to tell them that if they did not type our number in to the entry panel before knocking on our flat door, then as far as we are concerned they are trespassing.

Luckily we have decent security in our block and they usually get rid of the salespeople pretty quickly. They still try though, it's a new one every fortnight or so.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

grundie wrote: »
    We get them in our apartment block, in addition to the non-stop letters addressed to 'The Resident".
    If it is free postage make sure sending it back filled in as "Obama, President of US of A".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭traco

jor el wrote: »
    For added effect, be wearing a dress and high-heals Less as effective if you're female. Then keep turning your head to the side and mutter something like Not now, mother, I'm busy and I'll come to bed when I'm ready. Then invite them in for a cup of tea.

That would be classic - I'm 6'4" and 18.5 Stone, think the kids might need a lot of therapy if I was to use that approach

Advertisement