Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

clothes line

Options
  • 03-07-2009 10:22pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭

i have a big metal pole about 9ft, to stick in the ground for my clothes

has anyone any easy solution to do it or i wouldnt even mind paying someone to do it right.

any ideas or directions would be much appreciated:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

As a DIYER go down and buy 4 bags of cement. that needs to be wetted just. Dig the hole the same volume as the 4 bags put the together for an idea. mix the cement. bury it in the hole at least 6" from the surface. as the cememt sets for an hour stick the pole in it to for the pole shape, be careful not to wiggle it around. Take the pole out and let it dry for 2 days. Presto you have a mount for your pole.

Let me know if you need more... PS if you want a hand with this pm me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

you can get premixed bags of concrete in builder providers. i think you would need to put a 9 foot pole further into the ground than 6 inches.

is it just a pole that you are fixing the line or is it one of those umbrella style things??

the weight of wind and clothes could be big enough so you would want big enough pad that you dont want to fix again,

maybe you could sink the pad into the ground so you could have enough depth to plant grass over it so you wont have ugly pad.

so maybe something like a 600mm diameter hole about 450mm deep. the concrete would only need to be 300mm deep and 150mm of soil to plant grass. and i would say have to pole striaght through the concrete to give it as much concerte around the base as it could.

you could place a sleeve in to the pad for you can lift the pole in and out. a bit of old pipe or something. tape up the end to stop the concrete pushing up the bottom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭upthedub

i have a big metal pole about 9ft, to stick in the ground for my clothes

has anyone any easy solution to do it or i wouldnt even mind paying someone to do it right.

any ideas or directions would be much appreciated:)
    I can show you what way i use my metal pole...:D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Martron wrote: »
    you can get premixed bags of concrete in builder providers. i think you would need to put a 9 foot pole further into the ground than 6 inches.

is it just a pole that you are fixing the line or is it one of those umbrella style things??

the weight of wind and clothes could be big enough so you would want big enough pad that you dont want to fix again,

maybe you could sink the pad into the ground so you could have enough depth to plant grass over it so you wont have ugly pad.

so maybe something like a 600mm diameter hole about 450mm deep. the concrete would only need to be 300mm deep and 150mm of soil to plant grass. and i would say have to pole striaght through the concrete to give it as much concerte around the base as it could.

you could place a sleeve in to the pad for you can lift the pole in and out. a bit of old pipe or something. tape up the end to stop the concrete pushing up the bottom.

I actually said 6" from the surface and a bag of pre mix is 5 kg so 4 bags would be 20 kg which you can hang more than a pole out of :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

thanks guys, i think this is beyond my capabilities :)

looks like a ben dunne tender job for me :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

i know what you meant when i read your post.

i just personally though it would need to be a small bit stronger.

5kg ? must be a small bag.

anyway not going to argue about it.

Advertisement