Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open letter to all TDs

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

Dan I Am wrote: »
    I don't mean to derail your interesting debate here, but I can't see how any Muslim could find this statement offensive within this context, and the point of the statement seems perfectly valid. (I mean dresden8's statement here, although a pedantic Muslim could take offence at being referred to as an Islamic person I suppose)

What can you do? People take offence. There's no escaping it these days.

In fact I feel left out, I think people should be free to say what they want, when's my turn to take offence, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Dan I Am

dresden8 wrote: »
    What can you do? People take offence. There's no escaping it these days.

In fact I feel left out, I think people should be free to say what they want, when's my turn to take offence, eh?

I agree. Free speech is right at the 'bedrock' of a free society, and any messing with that AT ALL is very very dodgy ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

To me this seems like a very very silly little side matter that can be addressed at a later date. I don't hear of anyone being charged with blasphemy on a regular basis or at all, is this like a big fight for the right of men to have babies.

Glad to see that this sort of legislation is floating around, it like arguing over the dinner menu on the f**king Titanic :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭rozeboosje

Arguments that a referendum is "too costly" are frankly absurd. By the same token, changing the law to introduce an unenforceable law that will only cause the State at some point in the future to have to fight a costly legal battle in a European court (because, seriously, do you think that ANYBODY who gets prosecuted through this crazy law would take it lying down?) would be equally "too costly". In that case Dermot should have just continued to stick his head in the sand and pretend that everything is hunky dory. There was no "blasphemy" law in Ireland for decades without anybody throwing a serious wobbly about it, regardless of what it said in the constitution. Why introduce such nonsense now? So there is a hole in Irish legislation. It's a hole that doesn't need filling.

I also see many people responding to this by making arguments like "so you think it is ok to gratuitously fling insults at religious people"?

What sort of an argument is that? Just because something is not "ok" doesn't mean that it must necessarily be made illegal. It should be perfectly legal to say something that somebody who is a member of some religion might find insulting, without having to worry about having to face legal repercussions as a result. Even if doing this purposely just in order to piss off as many people as possible makes you quite an asshole, being an asshole isn't illegal. It just leaves you rather unpopular. So what? You choose to be unpopular, and some religious people choose to be "outraged" over any fart in the wind. Do what you like, but don't try and turn the law into an ass by filling the statute books with such trivialities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 GlobalStranger

rozeboosje wrote: »
    1) Liz McManus, Labour:

Thank you for your email.

I fully support your view. Its farcical to have such legislation. The Labour Party Spokesperson on Justice, Pat Rabbitte TD has voiced our strong opposition to it in the Dáil.

Regrettably the government refused to listen.

Yours sincerely,

Liz.

Liz McManus, T.D.
    Spokesperson on Communications, Energy and Natural Resources
    http://www.carobit.com/Forum/ShowThread/YouTube%20Discussions/20090704130605Pino%20Carafa.html

Letter for Copy & Paste & all TD & Senator emails for same :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

The new blasphemy law being rished through at the last minute smacks of a reaction to the sudden outpuring of hate towards the religious sexual abuses of children, i.e. media will be much more hesitant to question religious groups regarding their in-house behaviour when the threat of blasphemous accusations hang over their heads.

Why else would they rush this in at the last minute?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

that bill is so 1765 - should never pass in this day and age
    oscarBravo wrote: »
    Any chance you could post it here? Seeing as this is a discussion forum, like.

can you not read text on that video, like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 GlobalStranger

Advertisement