Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMS on Nokia n82

• 03-07-2009 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi, is there anyone out there using an n82 that has had difficulty with MMS messages? I've gotten the nokia settings from Vodafone (with the disclaimer from them that they may not work as its not a supported handset), but seeing as uploading pics to the web etc. works on it, I don't know why I'm still having difficulty sending picture messages. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I'm assuming Vodafone have made sure MMS is setup on your account and/or MMS has worked on your previous handset.

Try the settings wizard on your phone. It's usually under tools or utilities or something. It may provide automated setup for you.

Also have a look at the FAQ at the top of this forum. There's no exact walkthrough for your phone but you can get the setitngs here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055516939

If you tell us your network we can link you to the exact one but it should be straight forward enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭0scar

Thanks Random, mms certainly worked on my previous handset 2 weeks ago, so that's one thing discounted; I've checked my settings against a similar nokia handset on vodafone but I'll take a look at that link now, thanks for your help.

No luck unfortunately, all settings present & correct but messages just sitting in the inbox or failed.:(

I'm looking at my Nokia n95 8GB here but assuming it's similiar.

Menu > Tools > Settings > Connection > Access Points
    You should have your Vodafone MMS setup in here.

Menu > Messaging > Options > Settings > Multimedia message > Access point in use
    This should then reference the Vodafone MMS APN.

Do you have this setup?

yes, vodafone mms is the new access point I created, its listed & set as in the messaging menu for mms (tried taking out battery after I re-entered settings also). I know the N82 was never sold on any networks here but I know a few people are using it, and having done some looking into it before I bought it, never came across this type of problem.

• Advertisement

I've added a guide for Vodafone MMS with the Nokia n95 8GB. Not the exact same phone but have a quick look to see if you missed anything:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=60987773&postcount=50

Can you send MMS?
    Do you have access to another Vodafone SIM or Vodafone phone at the moment?

all settings match, and match those on a nokia 5800 here on vodafone, I'm going to try the sim card from that phone now. i can send ordinary text messages with my own sim.

Don't worry about SMS, they're not related to the MMS.

If you can try your SIM in another phone to make sure MMS works in that phone and/or if you can try another Vodafone SIM in your n82 to rule out the phone.

I put in that other vodafone sim card, and it briefly flashed up with a message, saying "MMS warning, close active connections?" I clicked ok, and then received three messages in the inbox for that number (had been trying to send mms messages to this number), saying message retrieval failed.

Does your SIM work in the other phone?

• Advertisement

yes, it's fine.

Right, so we've narrowed it down to the handset anyway and we know your account is fine.

Not really sure what to suggest to you except going through all the settings again to be 100% sure...

How old is your SIM card? (clutching at straws a bit now)

Thanks Random, appreciate your help, just annoyed at such a relatively small thing! Cheers.

sorry, managed to hit submit before finishing; as the sim works fine in two other phones & this is a problem only encountered with this particular handset, I would hope that the person who sold it to me wasn't aware of an issue with mms, as it was obviously used extensively by them on a different network in this country.

Some newer phones have issues with some older SIMs. No harm trying a SIM replacement if you live near a CPW / Vodafone store.

Will do Random, thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭OllieNorth

Hi Oscar,
    Was thinking about getting an n82. Could you tell me how you found it. I know you were having trouble with picture messaging but thats not an issue for me.How do you find it overall and what is battery life like. Also do you know how it compares to the n95. Thanks Ollie:)

Advertisement