Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salary???????

Options
  • 03-07-2009 11:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭

I know I'm lucky to have gotten a job (worked for them when I was sixteen so sort of had my foot in the door).

The facts are... I'm 18... working part time in a shop which I'd rather not name.
    I'm well aware I'm not entitled to minimum wage, but I'm currently being paid €6.06 an hour. I was under the impression I was entitled to €6.92 unless it has come down without me knowing??

The problem is I'm working my ass off in that place and I'm trying to save up for college. I know the .84 cent isnt huge... but it adds up and I need every cent.

Any tips?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Since you're over 18 you should have a minimum wage of €6.92, rising to €7.79 after one year of experience and €8.65 after two. The €6.06 rate is for employees under 18.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Hooly22

How do I approach this though? He's not the nicest man (so I've heard... never met him). He is well aware what age I am.

Is he not in a very strong position to tell me to take it or f*** off?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

How long you've been there?

I worked for them for 4 months when i was 16... then started 2 weeks ago again.

Then it's legal. See leeroybrown[/s] for more info.

• Advertisement

Sorry, which is legal?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

the_syco wrote: »
    Then it's legal. See leeroybrown[/s] for more info.

I assume he means illegal based on leeroybrown's comment. But I don't think it matters if its legal or not to be honest as he is entitled to let you go and hire someone else below 18.

Its a though situation really cause of the times were in.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Hooly22 wrote: »
    Sorry, which is legal?

The rate you are being paid, I think. How much time have you actually spent working?

cronos wrote: »
    I assume he means illegal based on leeroybrown's comment. But I don't think it matters if its legal or not to be honest as he is entitled to let you go and hire someone else below 18.

Its a though situation really cause of the times were in.
    Actually, I meant it's legal. As he's only 18, and hasn't worked in a full time job for a year, the amount he's getting is sadly legal. Most decent places to the "full minimum wage", but some places are just c*nts about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

There seems to be some confusion here. The OP who's 18 said that they're getting paid €6.06 and thinks that they're legally entitled to €6.92. My post above confirmed that they should be getting paid €6.92. Obviously, extracting that from the employer will be another matter.

• Advertisement

There seems to be some confusion here. The OP who's 18 said that they're getting paid €6.06 and thinks that they're legally entitled to €6.92. My post above confirmed that they should be getting paid €6.92. Obviously, extracting that from the employer will be another matter.
    Ah, sorry, missed that bit. OP: when did you turn 18?

Experienced adult worker €8.65
    Aged under 18 €6.06
    First year from date of first employment aged over 18 €6.92
    Second year from date of first employment aged over 18 €7.79

This is what I thought it was.
    I've been 18 since november

And can he actually fire me if I question the amount I'm getting paid? Jesus

Advertisement