Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 to Canada

Options
  • 03-07-2009 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭

First off I'm sure that this thread has been done before, so my apologies, but 'j1' is too short a search string for boards~

The J1 website is notoriously vague on details, so I have a few questions for anyone familiar with them.

First up, are J1's even usable to Canada, or are they a strictly US deal?
    Secondly, can a student apply for a J1 the year they finish college? I'm just heading into my 4th and final year, will I be able to apply for the Summer 2010?

Cheers for any assistance!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 kod137

yes you can still use the student one, you can use this up to a year after you finish 4th year but before graduation. This one would be the best to use as if you want to travel the following year or go back to canada, you can apply for the under 35 visa when you get home. Ya usit are pretty crap, they don't give any information and when you ring they just give out. They're pretty crap over here (in Canada) too. I wouldn't advise going to usa, there's no work there.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

J1 is for the USA.

Canada is a different country. Therefore the J1 visa doesn't apply to Canada.

Do you mean one of the Canadian working-holiday visa type schemes?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Kod137: Cheers, I'll hopefully be doing something along those lines.

BuffyBot: Again, the J1 homepage's confusing vaugeness comes into play. Their information page mentions them giving talks on a Summer or 12 month Work in Canada, but it's never mentioned again on the site. Hense my confusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

kod137 wrote: »
    yes you can still use the student one, you can use this up to a year after you finish 4th year but before graduation. This one would be the best to use as if you want to travel the following year or go back to canada, you can apply for the under 35 visa when you get home. Ya usit are pretty crap, they don't give any information and when you ring they just give out. They're pretty crap over here (in Canada) too. I wouldn't advise going to usa, there's no work there.

Hi,

Cheers for that. Just as a matter of interest, what's the work like in Toronto at the moment? Anything going in financial services or are any service industry places (like bars etc.) hiring or is it as dead as everywhere else?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Just for all who are interested in this, here's where you should be looking:
    http://canada.usit.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 kod137

no idea about bars, haven't tried them. financial not so good, i think, don't really know, i'm in property management, work kinda quiet this end, but still getting just enough to live on. not as bad as ireland. Just apply for everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Innovat

Advertisement