Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Query on MBAs

Options
  • 03-07-2009 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭

So UCD have MBAs and so does Carlow IT

Whats the difference

Would wher eyou went make much difference in the job market?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭cerebus

So UCD have MBAs and so does Carlow IT

Whats the difference

Would wher eyou went make much difference in the job market?

It will depend on what your plan is after finishing your MBA.

An MBA in both UCD and Carlow IT will probably cover the same subjects/topics. I would imagine that on the margin the UCD professors and facilities will make for a better academic environment.

One area that UCD will probably also come out ahead is in terms of the quality of other people in the classroom. Classmates doing the MBA at UCD might bring very useful skills and experiences to discussions and projects that you can learn from. This may not be quite as prevalent in Carlow, given the relative size and prestige of the two MBA programs.

The final area where UCD might have an edge is the recruiting and employment prospects. UCD students will probably have access to more companies who regularly recruit from the program (not to say that you wouldn't have a chance with the same companies coming from Carlow IT, but there would be a lot more legwork involved). I think Smurfit's website mentions MBA grads working for firms like McKinsey, who I am pretty sure don't regularly recruit from Carlow IT for example.

However, if you are living close to Carlow IT, working in a job you enjoy and want to just leverage an MBA to move up the ladder with your current employer then any cost/benefit analysis might come down heavily in favour of the MBA program in Carlow.

Hope that sort of helps... I am sure others will have opinions as well.

Advertisement