Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sick puppy

Options
  • 03-07-2009 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭

hi i got a golden lab puppy monday she eating everything! she ate a flower bulb this evening and started vomiting about 15 mins later and vomited about 7 times after i think her belly is cleared now but im still so worried called the vet they didnt seem worried said brin her in tomorro if she still the same ...... found out since talkin to vet she may have eaten some of the small mushrooms that grow in garden this was before ten this morning and she didnt get sick until about 9 tonight should i be in the state i am or should i stop worrying

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Pups will eat anything and everything they can find. They're like babies, they'll find feckin anything!
    But you might want to do a sweep of your garden and remove things like mushrooms or anything that might cause allergy or danger (of choking) to your pup. Right now they'll eat whatever they find.
    No harm in getting the vet to give her the once over to make sure she's ok. She probably emptied her stomach at this point. Just make sure she's plenty of water and try to make sure she doesn't eat anything else foreign.

She'll be ok I'd say - my pup eats anything, she'll pull up roots, stones, bits of bark, wood, aloevera, rose bushes, bay leaves, ferns, clods of dirt, honestly....

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cmbutterfly45

thanx for the reply just so worried about her i am trying to get her to drink water but she wont drink any it could just be that she wants to sleep after she emptied her stomach she went straight to bed should i call the vet again tonight or should i just wait until morning she is sleeping now but im just not sure about her

You can ring if it makes you feel better, but I'd say the poor thing is just wrecked, image throwing your guts up and it's late and you're only little, you'd be tired.
    I've had my pup throw up, (threw up wood.... :rolleyes: ) and it's horrible to watch you see their little tummys go. But she'll probably be ok she just needs to sleep.
    If you're worried about her being dehydrated you could dip your fingers in the water and put them to her lips, see if she licks it, I've done this to get my dogs to have a drink when they weren't well. I dipped like that a few times and then put a little bowl of it up to them and they had a little drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭lil'bug

a lot of plant bulbs can be poisionous so i'd just keep on eye on her when she is out side (easier said than done :) )i had the same problem with my pup last year everything whent in to his mouth, i found that distracting the pup with a toy or a treat can make them drop what ever they shouldn't be eating

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭aoife2k

Give her some other stuff to distract her from eating the bulbs... My boxer pup is 3 months now and tried eating everything but i have her some empty plastic bottles and she LOVES them... When they try pawing at them they slide away and pups have a great time chasing them... great for teething too!

Try putting some treats in like Coachies and then when she plays with the bottle some treats will fall out and she'll be more interested in it than eating other stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

If pup wont drink water i find adding milk or some meat/chicken juices to water might tempt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cmbutterfly45

thanx so much for all the replies had a midnight trip to the vet after:( she had defo eaten somethin wrong dropped from 5.4kg to 4.8 so glad i took her after got 2 injections and she been flyin it since thanx again for all the replies was so worried when it happened all good now tho

I'm glad you got her sorted! I'm the same if I'm that worried I always give the vet a ring, they can usually tell you from description whether to bring them in or not.
    At least now she's on the mend :)

Advertisement