Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest way to get to ayers rock from sydney!!

Options
  • 04-07-2009 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭

We will be arriving in Sydney next month and would like to go to Ayers Rock. What is the cheapest way to get there from Sydney or can anyone recommend going from anywhere else on the East Coast by car,camper, bus or plane. time not an issue cheapest way=best way!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Fly Qantas directly to Yularu

deffo the cheapest way in the longrun

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭darrenh

The cheapest flight i can get is €300 return! I was hoping for around half that or maybe around €200:(

Jaysus thats a bargain, snap it up right away, you do realise how feckin far away it is from EVERYTHING ELSE IN THE WORLD.

Be aware that its a really expensive place once you get there, therse is a backpackers but the cheapest bed is about 45 dollars a night, nice place tho.

I deffo recommend climbing it, tis like a foreign world up on the top of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭darrenh

How long would we need to spend there? Is the airport nearby and whats the best way to see it? Sorry for all the questions!

time wise, it depends,
    first Question

have you heard of The Olgas or Kings Canyon???

just to see the rock you would need minimum of 3 days

Day 1 Land in the evenin, hav a squiz at the sunset, find leaba

Day 2 Get up see sunrise head out to rock, Go straight up it, walkin around it can be done later, climbers have to start early to get down before sunset.

Day 3 recover from climbin and walkin, see the rest of the stuff on the ground around the rock

Day 4 Fly out in the mornin

if you want to add the Olgas etc to your trip its more days

Day 4 get bus to Kings Canyon

Day 5 recover and fly out

the Resort is on the very edge of the Uluru National Park and is therefore as physicaly close as you can get to the site.

bear in mind that Alice is about 6 hours North and Oodnadatta is about 10 hours south and in a different state :eek:

AT Kings do most of the tours, you can try and get in a smaller bus around teh area but its lucky dip as to whether the driver has any personality/information.

once you get to the rock yer on yer own, the big operators will try to dissuade you from climbing it, this has absolutley nothin to do with respectin sacred traditions and everything to do with public liability insurance.

if you're like me there's no way you would travel half way round the planet just to LOOK at it, so despite what the handwringin hippies tell you, its perfectly fine to climb it

• Advertisement

http://www.ayersrockresort.com.au/sails/xlink22/lodge

thats the place I stayed out ther, there are a series of hotels from that place to the Sails hotel, all part of the same umbrella corp offering different levels of accomodation
    from 5* to Dorm right to camping if you are extremley tight;)

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

If time is on your side, and patience is a virtue, i'd buy a wagon and drive! Take a few weeks to do it comfortably! I'm driving from Sydney to Perth in a few months- but reckon i'll take her handy do it over about 3 weeks..

why? just!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭myhorse

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/australasia/climbers-may-be-barred-from-uluru-1736427.html

maybe mahatma needs to have a word with them an explain that its ok

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

myhorse wrote: »

That was interesting, as i was considering venturing there in the near future..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Oh god.

When did Peter Garrett become environment minister?
    I thought a breeze would have snapped him in half years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

I deffo recommend climbing it, tis like a foreign world up on the top of it.

I wouldn't, if you have any respect for the people from the land surrounding it.

Advertisement